Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'(

+7
NickieM
Tuckerbunnies
jolovesbunnies
Jay
Felix&Willow
KatieB
Katiekoo
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'( Empty please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'(

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:09 am

Hi all, this is my first post and i was hoping I could post a more positive one than this:-(

I joined this forum last night full of excitement and looking forwards to becoming part of this community. I have 2 mini lop 9 week old baby rabbits but sadly one died this morning-Louie. I'm absolutely heart broke. He was a gorgeous little boy. They both seemed very healthy apart from Louie was very thin but has been eating and drinking loads so I thought we were on the right track. I took them to the vets yesturday for their first vacs but they had run out. The vet checked them both over and re arranged the appointment for today. He agreed Louie was under weight but said if he's eating plenty then not to worry to much and keep an eye him.

I woke up this morning to see Louie flat out in the middle of their cage, my heart sank. At first I thought he was dead but then I saw him breathing. I stroked him and he just kicked his back legs. As I picked him up he didn't move at all - totally limp and lifeless. He lay in my arms for about 10 minutes ocationally kicked his legs like he was having a mild fit. He opened his mouth wide and let a little yelp out. Then he slowly piece fully went to sleep. I've only had him a week and yet it's crazy how much I loved him. Does any one have any idea what could have happened? I'm worried the other may get sick now. He's never been on his own and seems very sad. I've barely stopped crying all day, my animals mean everything to me. I'll post some pics once I've got sorted. He was an adorable baby. RIP Louie mummy and Alfie miss you xxx Crying or Very sad
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'( Empty Re: please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'(

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:19 am

Hi Hun,

I am so so sorry that your little boy passed away. You must be devastated, Im so sorry.

Im afraid that sometimes this happens with baby buns, where did you get him from? Sometimes it can be inbreeding that causes little ginetic problems and these little guys cant cope, sometimes I could be that the breeder's wernt giving them the correct food or took them from their mums too soon so their little tummies cant develop properly, and sometimes its simply just not meant to be and theres nothing that could have been done.

I would speak to your vet about Alfie so that the vet can give him a more thorough check when he goes back. Poor little guy.

Im sure that this was nothing that you did hun this little bun was lucky to have you.

What are the little guys fed on at the moment? Where did you get them from?

binky free little Louie xx x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'( Empty Re: please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'(

Post by Felix&Willow Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:27 am

Oh Im so sorry to hear this Hugs

As Katie has said, I hope the vet may be able to shed some light on what has happened with Louie, and check that everything is alright with Alfie.

I would guess that whatever has happened with Louie, it would have happened no matter where he was, and that he has had a lovely week with you Hugs
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am

Thank you so much for your reply. They're from a breeder in Barnsley called south yorkshire rabbits. I now know it was silly to buy babies and should have adopted :-( The breeder was really lovely and helpfull but is currently on holiday so cant help me. I'm not sure of the brand but they are fed the little pellets she give me for the change over period and loads of timothy hay and some alfalfa. she advised to slowly put them on to a nugget for babies like excel burgees nuggets. They're haven't had any veg or grass yet due to age.

I'll be taking Alfie back to the vets for his vac soon as I cancelled todays appointment becuase I'm full of tears and he must be lonely and scared as he's never been alone. I've tried to give him lots of extra kisses and hugs to reassure him but he just wants his little brother Sad Should I get him a companion soon? I just want to do what evers best for my lil guy.

Thank you
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:40 am

please shed some light on why my baby rabbit has died :'( IMG_2567

This is Louie at about 5 Weeks, before I got him. Such an adorable baby. Can't believe he's gone
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:43 am

I'm so sorry that this your first post, how awful Sad There could be a number of reasons, possibly relating to the breeder, as Katie said. It's possible that he was weaned to young, and his body just didn't have all the necessary nutrients/antibodies etc he needed.

Just alike all animals, some are born weaker than others, and may or not pull through. His weight indicates that this is certainly a possibility.

I'm so sorry, what a way to start your forum experience, but welcome, and I hope we get to hear more about your other bun.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:53 am

Jay wrote:I'm so sorry that this your first post, how awful Sad There could be a number of reasons, possibly relating to the breeder, as Katie said. It's possible that he was weaned to young, and his body just didn't have all the necessary nutrients/antibodies etc he needed.

Just alike all animals, some are born weaker than others, and may or not pull through. His weight indicates that this is certainly a possibility.

I'm so sorry, what a way to start your forum experience, but welcome, and I hope we get to hear more about your other bun.

I know and I was so looking forwards to putting my first post :-( Thank you so much for your advice. It's awful to think he may have died just from being took from mummy too young. Fingers crossed Alfie seems a bouncy happy bunny who's got a nice layer of fat and doesn't half know how to binky. He's cheering me up. It's a cruel world. I hope my other posts are full of happy things!
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:59 am

The only thing I would add is that you should notify (call) your vet, in case this is something contageous. I won't even begin to suggest what, but there are a couple of nasties out there that can be catching. I'd also keep a close eye on Alfie for now.

That's a lovely picture, he was beautiful. RIP litle man
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Ye I'm watching Alfie like a hawk and will take him back to the vets for another check over. He's bigger and stronger than Louie was so hopefully he'll be ok. I don't know what I'd do if not. Thank you
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Hey hun,

It sounds food wise like you are doing all the right things.

I wouldnt go getting him another friend straight away hun, unless you can get him a spayed female. If you get two boys they will definitely fight, if you get a girl she could get pregnant very quickly. If I were you I would wait until he is old enough to be neutered and then get him a spayed wife bun.

Please give him an extra cuddle from me, he must be confused, poor little guy. But its likely he will adapt quickly and he has you to give him lots of love.

I didnt get the chance to say earlier but welcome to Happy Hoppers, so sorry your first experience of us is a sad one - but we all know how you are feeling here, and completely understand how these little animals can steal your heart without you knowing, and losing them is incredibly hard.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Thankyou. That's exactly what I thought about a companion. He'd like a little wife when he's abit older. He'll have to put up with double snuggles till then. Thanks for the welcome too I love this forum and it's so nice to have lots of friendly advice and support. It's much appreciated and made me feel loads better.

So I hope in the future I can adopt a mrs for Alfie and they'll live happily ever after with mummy :-)

Xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm

I am so sad to read this love, comforting vibes are on their way.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Thankyou, everyone's kind words have made me and Alfie feel abit better. It's an awful thing to happen to my poor baby xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm afraid I can't post for crying I'm so very sorry he was beautiful Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Run Forever at the Bridge little one xxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Aww I'm sorry it's upset you. I've been in tears all day. He was such a sweet natured little fella and loved hugs with mummy :-( That cute little face would look up at me so lovingly xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Welcome to HH but I'm so sorry that you had to have such a tragic outcome for your little boy. What a horrible shock for you. Hugs Hugs

It sounds like you might have got a small, weak baby. sometimes litters have a baby that is much smaller than the rest. They can sometimes surprise you by managing fine, but sometimes it is all just too much for them.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome. ye I think he was the runt of the litter. Due to him eating plenty I thought he'd get strong but it wasn't meant to be :-( I just hope Alfie is ok now. The slightest thing with him is worrying me now. Hard work been a bunny mummy xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 am

Yea - being a bunny mummy is really hard sometimes, but also soooooooooooooo rewarding. My boy makes me smile every day x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Very true, Alfie has been a little sweet heart and cheered me up. He's so precious xxxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Oh sweetheart, virtual hugs on their way, I wish we could actually be there for you in person.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Thankyou so much. Louie is burried now and im feeling abit better today. Just can't believe he's gone. looking forwards to I hope a long happy future with Alfie :-) xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Poor bunny. I am so sorry for your loss hun Hugs
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 pm

It takes a long time to sink in and accept. Sending you and Alfie hugs.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:46 pm

I am glad you are feeloing better love. When Iloose a little one I make an extra fuss of the ones I still have and it does help a little.

More hugs on their way.

Love

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Ye it definatley helps having Alfie to cuddle. Thanks everyone for all the hugs me and Alfie are overwhelmed :-) xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next