Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your buns diet

+4
Vivi
Velvet.Tears
Amelia66
Felix&Willow
8 posters

Go down

Your buns diet Empty Your buns diet

Post by Felix&Willow Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 pm

I would be really interested to know what u guys are feeding the buns on a daily/weekly basis. Veg combos in partictular. I feel pretty confident in what they can and cant have, but quantity and good balanced combos could do with some work. So far mine have celery, bit of carrot, carrot tops, spring green, curley kale, broccoli, corriander- over the wk, fav is spring green. They have had a small amount of apple and banana but werent fussed. I have to be really carefull with willow imparticular and felix to a certain extent as they suffer with sticky butts. Dandelion doesnt agree with them so far. So they are having most of the above veg everyday- i am aware that most of those are high in calcium. What should i aim for whilst being carefull of sticky bums? Wink
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Your buns diet Empty Re: Your buns diet

Post by Amelia66 Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:13 pm

i use this site here CLICK ME for all foods that i can feed marsh, but its normally whatever we have in the frigde + dandelions as he loves them.

I cant say amounts as i think all buns are different its a case of trial and error with what they can have and how much.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Carrots, broccoli, kale, savoy cabbage & parsley is their veg/herbs & Burgess Excel or Science Selective which they tried for the first time this week as it was on offer and thought i'd see if they like it. And they do even Hazel, and she is a fussy madame.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 pm

Oh wow thats one extensive link - I didn't know half the stuff on that page was ok for rabbits. Thanks!
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Lil Loll's a picky lil fella (he's a Silver Fox) and his daily diet consists of Burges super excel adult, a inch or so of carrot(depending on how big the carrot is) a reasonable sized leaf of spring cabbage, some dandelion leaves, grass and sow thistle. He consumes huge quantities of hay! On the odd occasion he will have a little curly kale or parsley or rocket but he's not overly keen on them and won't touch anything else. Loke I said a picky lil so-and-so!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Daisy has Spring Greens and Curly Kale, occasional carrot tops, Occasional fresh dandi's, parsley, corriander, pear leaves, pear twigs, small amounts of apple, sometimes rocket.

he also has dried plantain.....his absolute fave thing ever.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:04 pm

I try to do three different vegs a day. Usually it is a combination of spring greens with two of the following: carrots (once a week or so), peppers, apple (as with carrot), celery, radishes, swede, dandelions, broccoli - esp the stalks, cauliflower, cucumber and pear. He also likes grapes and strawberry tops but they are usually just treats and he gets one or two. At the moment the fruit trees have lots of shoots and leaves so he gets apple twigs and leaves and plum leaves, which he adores.

He is outside in his run all day from morning to night so he can nibble on grass too but doesn't eat hay at all which is worrying even though I buy him fancy stuff. He just wee'd on the meadow hay with peppermint last week. :rolls:
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Reading all these lists reminds me of one of the first things I enjoyed about bunny keeping when was as a child helping my friends forage along greenlanes for wild herbage (I didn't have my own bun then). When I got Clawed in1993 I was so happy to take up this daily hunt. Clawed, Truff, Toff and Riley were all happy to eat whatever I put in front of them. Why is Loll so picky?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:21 pm

I am going to compile a time table to introduce things and see how they get on - I am feeding them really huge amounts of veg (willow and felix more so) - and they wolf alot of hay and readi grass - yet they are all still on the lean side! How? Willow and Felix do not stop eating, Rory is much slower, and isnt that excited with his food, the girls tread on each other and go nuts every time I top up the hay, even though they always have a load in there, just the fact that its new hay sends them bonkers. I am definatley feeding them too much carrot - that needs to be drastically cut down - spring greens is the fav - and from what you have said Nicki they are ok to eat alot of it so thats good, how does three whole cabbages a week grab you?! At the end of the month they will be 6 mnths old, so maybe I will need to review things with regard to the pellets, but untill they beef up a bit I will stick with the huge amountds of pellets and veg they have - its not as if it stops them eating hay - I read somewhere that Rabbits hsoule eat a bunch of hay at least the size of them every day - well willow and felix must eat three times that amount - Rory not so much - though Rory would live on Readi grass if I let him. Laughing
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Most of our's are not on a dry pellet food just unlimited hay and greens and herbs. They have in a morning cabbage, celery, carrots with a little bit of apple and banana, for tea they have celery, a little bit of broccoli, cabbage, carrots, Kale, Parsley and Rocket. We don't give them herbs every day and try and give them a variety and they all have a treat before light's out Very Happy

We don't give Chudleigh Flint our Nethie Broccoli as he suffers a lot with bloat.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down