Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets

+2
SarahJane
marleyNfriends
6 posters

Go down

Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets Empty Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Sore Hocks
Looks like Skye has sore hocks again. Last time we werent sure if it was actually sore hocks or just a small injury as it was only one one foot. This time her skin really is looking quite red and sore Sad I think the carpet i used to cover the wire ramp i made is to blame and have now covered it with some soft faux sheep skin fleece.

She free ranges in my room for several hours a day, the floor is carpet but shes never had a problem with that since i got her as shes on it intermittently :? The rest of her pen/base is foam mats with fleece over the top.

Ive put sudocream on, and were at the vets for VHD tomorrow, so i can mention it then. Is there anything else i can do? Are there and major dos and donts for sore hocks that i dont know of?

Spaying
I know with males you can tell when they are ready to be neutered because their plumbs drop, but are there any sure signs for females?

Skye is 4 months old now, and over the last week ive noticed shes turned into a bit more of a madam. Shes lunged at me occasionally, shes growled at me a few times over the last couple of days too and she clawed my hand when i was offering her a pellet Rolling Eyes Laughing I know its not a lot, but do you think shes almost ready?

Also, how heavy does she need to be before they can be safely spayed? Being a nethie, shes still really tiny! Im hoping i can get her spayed sooner rather than later. If i wait until shes 6 months, i wont be able to try bonding her until October, by which time it will be getting cold and im not sure its a good idea to be putting her outside. :?

Advice? Wave
Thanks in advance Smile

Last edited by marleyNfriends on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets Empty Re: Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets

Post by SarahJane Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm

For me I find that the type of carpet you use is crucial, depending on how abrasive is it is for the feet, I always rub my elbow on it to see what it feels like, I know that sounds daft but it works for me. My buns have a soft rug in their run, got it from the bootsale and they love it, but when they had carpet is was just too abrasive and hurt the feet. The problem is that sore hocks can appear at any time, so while your carpet didnt cause a problem before it probably is now.

I would recommend getting a rug to lay down for free range time, nothing fancy, just from a bootsale or charity shop maybe? x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets Empty Re: Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets

Post by LilyGrace Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 pm

In terms of spaying I believe vets like to do it normally from about 6 months of age, it certainly sounds like she is starting to get her hormones! Probably would be better to speak to your vet about when would be best to try it though
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 am

SarahJane wrote:For me I find that the type of carpet you use is crucial, depending on how abrasive is it is for the feet, I always rub my elbow on it to see what it feels like, I know that sounds daft but it works for me. My buns have a soft rug in their run, got it from the bootsale and they love it, but when they had carpet is was just too abrasive and hurt the feet. The problem is that sore hocks can appear at any time, so while your carpet didnt cause a problem before it probably is now.

I would recommend getting a rug to lay down for free range time, nothing fancy, just from a bootsale or charity shop maybe? x
Aparently my carpet is 80% wool and 20% polyester, but its really old. She does free range in there, but not for too long. I cant really put a rug down, i dont know if i said she lives in my bedroom? Its pretty huge and the rug just wouldnt make that much difference as she belts round the edges and under my bed like its an F1 circuit!
Thanks, Jay.
Ive just had a look through it. Its so frustrating, what do you do for the best?
The sudocream helps a bit, though i havent been using it long enough to see an improvement this time. It just rubs off on everything.
Her skin isnt broken, but it just looks so inflamed. Does anyone know if theres anything i should be asking my vet for, thats better than sudocream? Im not really sure about other treatments, it all sounds like swings and roundabouts and what works best for each individual bun. HBWS

If i dont see any improvement, ill take the 2nd level off her cage, or make the shelf lower so she doesnt have to use the ramp. See if that makes a difference. I dont want to do too much at once, if that makes sense? If i do things bit by bit, hopefully i can work out whats causing it - thats whats frustrating, not knowing!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 pm

hope she is okay hun and that you can find out what is causting it for her.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Katieb wrote:hope she is okay hun and that you can find out what is causting it for her.

K x
Thanks Katie. Smile
I was hoping someone would come along and tell me what other lotions and potions the vet might use before i have to get ready at 5pm. I just feel bad, because i dont know what to do with her, i cant not let her out of her pen, but if its my carpet thats causing it, i dont want it to get worse. Rolling Eyes scratch
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Few questions re sore hocks & spaying UD -back from the vets Empty Back from the vets

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:14 pm

Well, she had her VHD tonight. Jane (our vet) had a look at her feet and said try not to worry too much, ive done everything right so far and just keep an eye on her feet.

She can be spayed mid-end of next month too Smile She just needs to get a bit bigger and gain some more weight. Than i can try for a trio!!! Happy Dance But obviously not until her feet are better, unless i house all 3 indoors for a while.

So all good news really, i just hope her feetsies are a blip and wont be an ongoing problem. *fingers crossed*
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Hey hun, glad the vet was happy will her.

You might find that the hocks are better outside hun????

Please give them all a nose rub from me. x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Glad you have had good news that's what we all like to hear ....some good news! Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Katieb wrote:Hey hun, glad the vet was happy will her.

You might find that the hocks are better outside hun????

Please give them all a nose rub from me. x x x

I really hope so! The outdoor set up is cushion vinyl and is quite spongey compared to the tiles i used to use. The run is concrete, bark chips and soil. Obviously, i may have to leave the soil and the bark chips out incase her feet are sore and they get infected.

If she doesnt bond with them, im not sure what my plan will be, i dont like seeing single bunnies on their own unless theres a genuine reason. If it doesnt work, then ill have to make some difficult decisions. I either adopt a fourth (but then what would i do if/when i go to uni, mum has already said she doesnt want more than 1 group to look after) or put her up for rehoming with a neutered buck, which would break my heart to have to let her go Sad
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 pm

I bet she will be fine with them - I bet Marley will love having another wife.

How are her feet today?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Im sure Marley will love her! Its Dolly that im unsure about after our little dating sessions. I stopped doing them in the end and decided to just leave everything until shes spayed.

Its really difficult to be able to see without her wriggling and stressing out, from the odd glimpse i get and from what i can feel, theyre no worse, maybe a bit better. They definitley dont look as red Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down