Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory has blood shot eye - big time

+4
Happy Hoppers
Tuckerbunnies
KatieB
Felix&Willow
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rory has blood shot eye - big time - Page 2 Empty Re: Rory has blood shot eye - big time

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks velvettears - the tricky part is that he has no discharge, and no scratches or ulcers showed up witht he dye - it looks likely that its a bump type trauma, or something more rare like something he inherited genetically - im hoping for the bump theory to be the answer, he isnt athletic, but he is clumsy - this make me question his sight on the whole. We shall see, main thing is he is happy and munching, he has chinned everything like the little hoarder he is and is very pleased with himself in general, infact he is ecstatically happy parading himself infront of the back door so the girls can see he is out and about in the lounge in a 'ner ner na ner ner' kind of way Laughing
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Rory has blood shot eye - big time - Page 2 Empty Re: Rory has blood shot eye - big time

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:49 pm

Red eye can also be an underlying cause of something else more serious in the body (not meaning to upset or scare you) just to inform you that perhaps some other checks/tests may be done if it doesn't improve.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Felix&Willow wrote:Buphthalmia
This disease is congenital glaucoma caused by an autosomal recessive defect with incomplete penetrance. There is abnormal production and removal of aqueous from the anterior chamber. Clinical signs may occur as early as 2 to 3 weeks of age, but are more common at 3 to 4 months of age. Signs include slight cloudiness progressing to increasing cloudiness of the cornea, a prominent eyeball, conjunctivitis, keratitis, ulceration, and rupture of the cornea. The condition may affect one or both eyes. Affected individuals should be removed from the breeding colony. Enlargement of the globe due to increased intraocular pressure as a result of the absence or underdevelopment of the outflow channels with incomplete cleavage of the iridocorneal angles characterizes buphthalmia.

It looks like this is what the vet was reffering to as a consideration - lets hope he bumped it pale

If Rory's Mum had Glaucoma and it wasn't treated then she would most likely go blind. It makes you wonder doesn't it Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Ok sure - the vet had said that she wouldnt do a blood tets as she doesnt think it would show anything and the test itself would be traumatic especially as he is so little, he is nearly 6 mnths but small, and a bit under weight still, his veins must be miniscule. Im going to stop researching now, sometimes its not helpfull to know worst case scenarios, and I am a worrier by nature - so off to do the housework I go! Staring at him all day hasnt healed it so far Smile
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:59 pm

@ Maysie - doesnt it just! Hmmmm. She is still up for sale for a tenner - want to have a nose? I could PM you the site - just dont look if it will upset you - the photos are fine actually its not like a horror film, I would be interested to see what you think
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:00 pm

The thing is Beki it could be so many things and if you start looking you will make yourself ill with worry. You have been to the vet's that's the main thing and Rory is on treatment if he is no better after his course of medication then you know it need's further investigating .
Angel and Gypsy both are lionheads, Angel is now at the Bridge and both had eye problems, Angel's were serious as he had no tear ducts and he was blind at times he looked horrific Bless him, I would post photos but I think they would be far to upsetting for people to see. He had eye problems all his life and yet he was such a happy little bunny.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Felix&Willow wrote:@ Maysie - doesnt it just! Hmmmm. She is still up for sale for a tenner - want to have a nose? I could PM you the site - just dont look if it will upset you - the photos are fine actually its not like a horror film, I would be interested to see what you think

You can if you want but it will upset me as I will want to get them all out and I can't as I haven't any room at the moment Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Yeh I remember you saying about the eye problems before - poor angel - lionheads seem to be soppy little things dont they. I will stop looking now, promise! Smile As long as he is ok and happy we are sorted, eye problems or not Smile

Not a good idea then, if I send you the link you will look you wont be able to help it and you cant save them all. Im still looking out for someone to take Hazel the mum, I cant have her, no room, and I cant afford another bun - and its not fair on the other 3 as I work full time, Yasmins a very busy kid, and they need all the time I can spare.
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:26 pm

We have only 22 rescues but that alone is hard work and we can just about get round them all to give them the time and care that they need, there is only Mike and I and now with the boarding it's even harder but we enjoy it but I know if we took anymore on at the moment it would be unfair to the buns we have got. I have often cried myself to sleep over rabbits needing urgent homes as I feel so guilty but you can't save them all and we can only do so much but it doesn't stop me getting upset Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:37 pm

22 is way beyond doing a 'good' job, its amazing! You must need to have the boarders to help fund the others - they mustcost you an absolute bomb! Do you get any funding or anything? I know these guys have cost me near on £1000 in 6 mnths - most of that was the 'set up' so it wont be as much all the time, the insurance alone is £40 per mnth, but rather that than huge vet bills. Im so glad I insured Rory swiftly, especially if his eyes are going to be an ongoing issue - today cost me £45 - they are worth it dont get wrong, but there is only one small wage comming in here and i wont take a penny off Yasmin's dad (I think that conversation included the words 'shove' and up') Laughing
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Felix&Willow wrote:22 is way beyond doing a 'good' job, its amazing! You must need to have the boarders to help fund the others - they mustcost you an absolute bomb! Do you get any funding or anything? I know these guys have cost me near on £1000 in 6 mnths - most of that was the 'set up' so it wont be as much all the time, the insurance alone is £40 per mnth, but rather that than huge vet bills. Im so glad I insured Rory swiftly, especially if his eyes are going to be an ongoing issue - today cost me £45 - they are worth it dont get wrong, but there is only one small wage comming in here and i wont take a penny off Yasmin's dad (I think that conversation included the words 'shove' and up') Laughing

Ahh Thanks Beki Hugs

It does cost us a lot the big one being the vaccinations and the boarding does help, we pay for it all ourselves and always have but we get by.
I laugh when I hear people say "Oh I said she can have a rabbit as they don't cost much', I've heard that so many times over the years and when you tell people what it does cost...they are shocked and say "Oh I always thought rabbits were a cheap pet to keep" Rolling Eyes

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 pm

I suppose they are cheap if they dont get jabbed or neutured, never taken to a vet and fed 'tesco value muesli mix'. I must have spent a couple of hundred on toys alone Laughing Laughing

Had a really good find over the last few weeks though, there is a little family run pet shop that doesnt sell animals in the village where my Mum lives, they didnt have alot for rabbits but I got chatting to the owner and he said he would find me anything I wanted, so I gave him a list of all the things I buy from lots of different places and he ordered the lot in! He has also given me a promotional bowl from Burgess, and 5 sample bags of pulped cardboard litter. He hasnt charged anymore than what I usually pay, and it saves me driving here there and everwhere, and paying delivery costs of the stuff I order online from the 'the hay experts'. Its also across the rd from the vets I use so its really conveniant!

Could you become a registered charity? If you had a blog or something you might find you get a few good spirited people that would give you veggies from their allotment and things like that. Oh, that reminds me, I had a 'gift' at work the other day - a girl i work with stuck a bag of carrots in my tray with a note that read 'thought the bunnys might like these, they are a bit out of date for us to eat, but still good enough for rabbits' Rolling Eyes Laughing If she does that again im going to have to tell her that I would rather pull out my eye lashes than feed them to my rabbits Laughing
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Felix&Willow wrote:I suppose they are cheap if they dont get jabbed or neutured, never taken to a vet and fed 'tesco value muesli mix'. I must have spent a couple of hundred on toys alone Laughing Laughing

Had a really good find over the last few weeks though, there is a little family run pet shop that doesnt sell animals in the village where my Mum lives, they didnt have alot for rabbits but I got chatting to the owner and he said he would find me anything I wanted, so I gave him a list of all the things I buy from lots of different places and he ordered the lot in! He has also given me a promotional bowl from Burgess, and 5 sample bags of pulped cardboard litter. He hasnt charged anymore than what I usually pay, and it saves me driving here there and everwhere, and paying delivery costs of the stuff I order online from the 'the hay experts'. Its also across the rd from the vets I use so its really conveniant!

Could you become a registered charity? If you had a blog or something you might find you get a few good spirited people that would give you veggies from their allotment and things like that. Oh, that reminds me, I had a 'gift' at work the other day - a girl i work with stuck a bag of carrots in my tray with a note that read 'thought the bunnys might like these, they are a bit out of date for us to eat, but still good enough for rabbits' Rolling Eyes Laughing If she does that again im going to have to tell her that I would rather pull out my eye lashes than feed them to my rabbits Laughing

I must admit if we didn't have all the rabbits we would be better off money wise, be able to go on holidays and update Mike's car....but we wouldn't be happy! I certainly wouldn't as rabbits are my life and have been for so long I can't imagine my life without rabbit's in it, we always say we are humbled that they chose us to live with not we chose them.

What a lovely man he is that own's the village pet shop and how kind to get you all you wanted on your list. We use 'the hay experts' a lot.

We can't become a registered charity as we don't rehome they come here and stay here for the remainder of their lives, we try to take on bunnies that can't be rehomed or are dental buns.

I must admit people in the past have given us carrots, cabbages and fruit that was just unfit for the rabbit's never mind humans, and we were once given a hutch that was so rotted and dirty and had maggots in it that Mike took it straight to the tip. Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:07 pm

We are the same Tuckerbunnies love, we would have more money if it weren't for our pets, but there is no way I would ever be without them and I don't mind not having the other things because my babies are my life.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Maysie - you and Mike are Blimmin Amazing. I have so much respect and admiration for those of you that dedicate their lives to rescuing these amazing creatures.

Beki - how is the little guy doing?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 am

He seems fine in himself thanks katie, his eye still looks the same- though if it is a trauma injury i wouldnt expect it to look better yet i suppose. I gave him a big ball yesterday that was made of will and twine and he had completely unravelled it by the time i got home yesterday, that must of taken some determination so i take it he feels ok to have been playing with that for so long. He is not bothered by me putting the eye drops in and is having the metacam on his pellets with no problems. If there is no change to the colour of his eye by tommorow night i will take him back to the vet. I have worked out the 2 female vets that work for the surgery are the most bunny savvy and i know laura is working there tommorow x
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 am

Waht an interesting thread, I'm so sorry to heare of Rory's troubles, and hope you get to the bottom of it. Fantastic to see so many people resarching with you, I've certainly learnt a few things. Cuddles to Rory, the superstar Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks jay - yeh really appreciate everyones input Smile
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2