Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how do you make a garden fox proof??

4 posters

Go down

how do you make a garden fox proof?? Empty how do you make a garden fox proof??

Post by 4390evans Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 am

hey everyone,
Im wondering if you can give me any ideas on how to make a garden fox proof?
I have 6-7 foot fence all the way round neighbours one way and a jungle of a garden the next which attracts all sorts then a main road, but at the bottom out the back there are feilds woods etc, although I havent seen a fox I know that there will be a few kicking about, and rats.
Ive started to put the decorative wood logs around the bottom of the fence to stop my buns escaping, and stop things comming in but what else should I do??
Although the buns are out day and night never ever locked away and they would give the fox/rat a good run about I just dont want the worry of one getting in just incase.....
any ideas would be great.
Well im off to buy a dig bucket for them I seen a suggestion on here earlier which I thought was a brilliant idea xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

how do you make a garden fox proof?? Empty Re: how do you make a garden fox proof??

Post by woodwench Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Foxes: best to dig wire fence at least 18 inches into ground or set fence in concrete.... foxes are good diggers. Also, if you can, put an outward overhang on your fence cos foxes are also good climbers. And check for overhanging tree/shrub branches that they could use to gain access.

Rats: not much you can do about them. If your buns are housed in a shed try to make it so rats can't get under it and gnaw through the floor and putting a strip of metal along the door bottom (fold it so it goes underneath the door) will stop rats gnawing their way in. But using poison or traps with nosey buns around is a NO-NO. Maybe getting an air gun would solve a rat problem, it did mine!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

how do you make a garden fox proof?? Empty Re: how do you make a garden fox proof??

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Goodness thats tricky - foxes are very good at getting what they want.

It may be an idea to shut the buns away at night.

At lot of people here use a shed or a play house or a big hutch that full of all their hay and litter trays etc and shut them in there at night to keep them safe.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:54 pm

I havent got anything that is big enough atm but might invest in the chicken coup I saw at wilkinsons for £112 its quite big and should be ok just for over night ty guys xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Sounds like a brilliant idea.

So long as it has somewhere for them all to snuggle nice and warm and they can stretch it sounds fab.

Take a look at the "property ladder" section - there are some really good ideas on there!

Those buns are really lucky to have someone who cares about them so much x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 pm

I agree with Katie, I would have them locked up at night Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 am

Thumbs Up
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down