Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Can I Stop Snowflake Attacking Me?

5 posters

Go down

How Can I Stop Snowflake Attacking Me? Empty How Can I Stop Snowflake Attacking Me?

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:46 pm

for the past 2 nights when ive gone to get them out of the run,shes jumped around and gone for me,trying to bite me,shes also made grunting noises,so is she doing this becouse shes angry cos she doesnt want to go in to her cage/she doesnt like been picked up or is she just scared of me and how do i get her to stop doing it? once ive picked her up shes ok

sarah
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

How Can I Stop Snowflake Attacking Me? Empty Re: How Can I Stop Snowflake Attacking Me?

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:32 pm

I think snowflake is becoming a lady bun!

Once they hit puberty they can become stroppy little madams and these sounds like classic signs. The only way really is to have her spayed but this cant normally be dont until they are 6 months old. It can really help.

Has she had a bad experience at all while being picked up?
Its worth remembering though that some buns just dont like being picked up - Daisy is like this. Buns are prey animals and so being grabbed is completely against their instincts. some buns are gorgeous and lovely - they just dont like being picked up.

I think all you can do is stick with it, things will hopefully improve.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

How Can I Stop Snowflake Attacking Me? Empty Re: How Can I Stop Snowflake Attacking Me?

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 pm

i want to get them both done but there still too young yet,i got both the rabbits from a breeder and she did tell me she wasnt very out going and wasnt too keen on been picked up,i was hoping she was gonna change,ive started to sit on the floor in the run a few times a day,hoping she will start to get used to me and start been friendly other than that,i will have to wait till i can get them both done

thank you Very Happy
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Spending time with her in her run is a brilliant idea! It will deffo help!

To us bunny mums (and dads) patience is someone we get to know very well! Laughing Laughing

She may never be a cuddle bun but she will love you all the same x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 pm

you think i would have the patience of a saint having 3 little kiddies but nope! iam so impatient Laughing
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:29 pm

fall3n-ang3l wrote:you think i would have the patience of a saint having 3 little kiddies but nope! iam so impatient Laughing

Im the same! Laughing
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 pm

i always give Marshall a small treat if hes been good while being picked up, sort of to say if you are good you get something yummy. Has made him calmer when being picked up, although he wont tolerate being picked up more than a few times a day and hides from me lol.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 am

Amelia66 wrote:i always give Marshall a small treat if hes been good while being picked up, sort of to say if you are good you get something yummy. Has made him calmer when being picked up, although he wont tolerate being picked up more than a few times a day and hides from me lol.

thank you,will try that and see if that makes a difference
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 am

When I first met Clawed she was in a tiny/filthy (really filthy) hutch sited in a woodyard. And no one ever bothered abouth her other than to push in a load of verge strimmed forage in once a day.
I began to visit her 3 times a day with good food, and after a few days I would sit by the hutch and discuss events with her. Eventually I brought a book along and read to her........... I read her the whole of Watership Down before she finally became my rabbit.
I'm sure this affirmed our relationship (we bonded over Bigwig). She got used to my presence and my voice. But even the remarkable bond we shared didn't make Clawed like being picked up. Remember that your bun as a built in fear like all prey animals; I guess they see it as similar to being carried off by a raptor. I think (it is probably only my idea) that picking up needs more sensitive handling when a predominantly outdoor bun is involved and especially with a strong willed matriach doe... is Snowflake boss of the other bun?
Stick at it... sit and talk, and if Snowflake is the bossy one temparily seperate her for the time of your one-to-one.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 am

spike is the more dominant one,spike is always trying to hump snowflake,snowflake does it but not as much as spike,makes sense what you have said,will try and be more patient

thank you
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 am

My Luna used to be like this before I got her neutered, she also does it when something changes she doesn't like or if she thinks she is pregnant Laughing! Never give up on her Smile, it does take patience and you have to go slowly...everyones advice is great and I expect when you can get her neutered it will change, but even then it can take a month or so for the hormones to settle down.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm

thanks everyone,you've all given me some great advice,i would never give up on her,shes adorable,will see what shes like when i get her done in a few months time Very Happy
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Spike sounds to be the problem. They may not be old enough for neutering but I think Spike's precosity may be causing Snowflake to become narky. It might be time to part them. They certainly sound to be growing up fast.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down