Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!

+9
Happy Hoppers
Thumper2001
Tuckerbunnies
Josie
lizzi_b
NickieM
Jay
KatieB
Rabcats
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!  Empty mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!

Post by Rabcats Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:52 am

BB was fine late last night, this morning he stayed in his hutch which is very unusual so got him out. He seemed reluctant to move and a bit unbalanced. He managed to eat just a bit of celery and a few strands of hay and went and sat on his 'ledge'. When he got off he almost fell over. I took him vets this mornng and she said it was either mxy or e cunnili. He's had a dose of panaucur, some metacam and some baytril. He's now indoors as he has gone very very floppy and lifeless. We've been trying to give him some recovery food and water via a syringe but he's not really accepting it. He is also not passsing any droppings or wee.

Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!  Empty Re: mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!

Post by KatieB Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:17 am

. Is he vaccinated? Is there any discharge from his eyes?

Try and get a some fluids into him. Do his ears feel hot?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!  Empty Re: mxy, e cun, floppy bunny? Help please!

Post by Jay Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:59 am

Poor BB Sad Myxi would normally present initially as slightly swollen lips and genitals and/or crustiness or goo around the eyes. From what I know, the listlessness is not a factor, but I could be wrong. If BB is vaccinated within the last 6 months, it's unlikely to be Myxi, although vaccinated buns can still contract a less sever form of it, that is usually recoverable from

If balance is affected, then it could well be EC, or somethng else. He may need some Sub Q (under skin fluids) if he's not taking any food or water - is your vet open today, because it sounds as if he needs to see one, TBH. These things always seem to happen an a week-end.
What a worrying time, lots of vibes for you all Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:45 pm

If your bun is reluctant to take water via syringe, you can try dipping any foods into water and try feeding high water content foods like cucumber, if he will eat these. Try cutting food up into chunks that are easy to eat to encourage him.

Be very careful syringing him if he is not really interested in swallowing as you could get water into the lungs. Introduce a little water at a time and allow him to swallow before giving any more. Keep him as upright as possible too.

I would get him to a vet today if possible, but certainly on Monday.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 pm

aww hope he is ok! I sadly have no advise to give, but im sending lots of vibes!!! Hugs Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Hope your bun is ok.

Sending you both Hugs Hugs Hugs
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:11 pm

It could be your bunny is very dehydrated as they can become quite lethargic and floppy but I think I would get him to a vet's to be on the safe side
I do hope it isn't anything serious, sending lots of Vibes xxx

Keep us posted.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabcats Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:54 am

Hi everyone.
Sorry for the late reply. I had been using my mobile internet which is rubbish and couldn't get on here at all y/day to update you. We have been syringe feeding him recovery food mixed with banana and water every couple of hours since i last posted. It seems more like this floppy bunny syndrome if it exists no other signs seem to match up with mxy or EC.
This morning he appeared a teeny bit less floppy and appeared to be lifting his head up very slightly. He had diarreaoh (can never spell that sorry!) so was a bit messy this morning. And he also managed to take a dandelion leaf for himself. Will update you later x
Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 am

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 am

I would get on to the vet again.

Sending healthy thoughts to BB
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabcats Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks I was going to get some vit e on the way home from work.
Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:38 pm

If your bunny has bad diarrhoea then I would definitely be ringing the vet.

Hope he/she is ok xx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabcats Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks for the linky and the advice. I shall get him in to the vets later.
Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabcats Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Well my other half has just gone home in his lunch break to see to him and he says there is a little bit of hard runny poo next to him plus a few normal dropping that were under where he was laying.
Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Happy Dance (only on a rabbit forum do you get people celebrating bowl movements!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabcats Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Laughing god knows what my work colleagues were thinking when I was asking my other half for more detail! Size etc!
Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:00 pm

ROFL
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Do hope he gets better soon Hugs
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:20 pm

That sounds very hopeful.

I know what you mean about celebrating poops! Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 pm

How is he this eve?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Was he completely floppy as in seemingly paralysed from head to toe and unable to move to eat or drink? I have had a rabbit with FRS in the past and it presents as total paralysis, to all intents and purposes the rabbit appears dead except for breathing and eye movement. With EC paralysis is usually limited to the hind quarters alone.

I think you can safely say your rabbit is not showing signs of Myxomatosis, but EC & also an inner ear infection can both cause balance problems and the other symptoms you mention.

All require different treatments so it is important to try and isolate the cause if at all possible. However a good covering of the basis would be Baytril, Metacam & Panacur initially, whilst further investigations are taking place.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabcats Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Sooz
Yes he was completely floppy, we had to support his whole body including head when we lifted him up to feed him etc. Just breathing, nose twitching and eye movement as you say.
I am so confused with both floppy bunny and EC! I actually rang Rabbit Rescue in Northampton for some advice and the lady there said it definitely sounded like floppy bunny to her though if I told the vets that they would probably dismiss it.
No I don't think its mxy at all, there are definitely no other signs appearing.
He is having panacur and metacam daily, and baytril twice daily. Syringe feeding recovery food mixed with banana otherwise he won't easily take it, plus yesterday gave him a vit E tablet mixed with nat yoghurt.
When I got home yesterday from work he appeared to be holding his head up, within the next hour or two he then sat completely upright eating a bit of grass and even having a face wash! He has since been able to jump down off my lap if but a bit wobbly and have a few hops round my bedroom when hes had enough of the syringe! Not getting my hopes up too high but seems promising.
Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:50 am

That sounds like wonderful progress. I would keep up with the vit E and syringing for a little while, until he gets back on his little feet.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 am

Wow that sounds great news! Fingers crossed he continues to recover!! Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabcats Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks! Would you give a vit e capsule daily for a few days? Definitely keeping up with the syringe feeding for now and keeping them in.
Rabcats
Rabcats
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next