Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas?

5 posters

Go down

Ideas? Empty Ideas?

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Cookie, one of the foster babies I'm looking after, is the fluffiest little thing I've ever seen! And I think it's causing her problems cleaning herself properly.

I hate to be grim, but even though I check her daily, yesterday I had to spend about half an hour sorting her bum Hmmm I had to get rid of a number of uneaten caecals (fewer pellets, more hay for Cookie) and trim away some of the fur as well. She always has hay attached to her, and sometimes bits of poo as well get caught in the fur.

So, what I'm asking, in a round about sort of way, is if anyone has any ideas about bedding I could use in her cage? She is currently in a cage with lots of hay, but I'm wondering if there might be more hygienic I could use?

Thanks!

Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Ideas? Empty Re: Ideas?

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:59 pm

i know a lot of people use megazorb,you could try that
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 pm

You might also consider making those pellets she does have the new selective vetcare plus digestive health. Mine have been having them as a treat having been given a free sample at the vets. I have seen an increase in their poo size. I seem to think you said they were young so hopefully this stage will pass. Or probiotic could be helpful. When Bruce was -1 he got similar problems, although luckily most of his got squashed into the floor so I am wondering whether the answer is to lift the hay up in a manger so the caecals can stick to the newspaper.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Is she an indoor bun?

If so I would take the hay from the bottom of the cage and place a little on the top of her litter tray and then the rest in some sort of hay net, keeping just newspaper on the bottom of the cage.

Also perhaps a little trim around her bottom....?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Yeah, she's about 14 - 16 weeks old, she lives in the spare room, where she is currently learning to climb higher and higher so she can chew our books. I'm definitely going to lift the hay up into the hay rack that came with the cage (in my bunny experience I've never known a rabbit like a hay rack, preferring to eat off the floor instead!). I'm reluctant to go with newspaper as she is so very white, the print would dirty her. It's tricky.

A trim around her bum is something I'm going to try as well. Poor little bairn!

Additionally, she is very picky about what hay she'll eat!

She's running away from me today, knows she's gonna have her bum looked at again and doesn't fancy it no doubt!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 pm

I suffer with a mucky bum at times Embarassed

I have megazorb for litter with hay on top for nomming. When I had a bad spell the nice nurse at the vets gave me a bit of a trim around the back end (although it took both Humum and Hudad to hold me still for it!). Sometimes I have to have a bit of a wash in 'small animal' shampoo.

Since the humans got very strict with my diet (hay, hay, more hay, very few pellets and teeny bits of parsley, coriander and cauliflower leaf) I have been much much better Very Happy

I'm 5 months old.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:52 am

Our star has this problem also, she and I dont like the fact that we have to remove the poop from her bottom. If she was a dog like our rumbo Id shave round her but hole ROFL glad im not at the doggy palour when he gets that done but does the trick Thumbs Up
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down