Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OMG I dunno what to do

+9
lizzi_b
KatieB
Karen1980
NickieM
fall3n-ang3l
Jay
SarahJane
JoeyBunsMum
4390evans
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OMG I dunno what to do Empty OMG I dunno what to do

Post by 4390evans Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:01 pm

So my next door neighbours rabbit has been caught and is showing signs of giving birth, pulling out fur from her belly and her off her mate. She has asked me to go round and see if I can feel anythin on the bun to see if I can feel any babies. I asked her what she was gonna do with the kits once they are ready to be rehomed, and she said the vet said she could just drop them off there. I thought to be rehomed, but as we got further into the conversation she said that the mother wouldnt miss them if she takes them immediatly and they wouldnt feel anything being put to sleep. I was soo shocked I had to swallow my temper I just couldnt take in why she would even consider that. She went on to say how people would just get bord over the winter and leave them outside and they will die or people would breed them for meat, and that no one looks after the rabbits the same way we do and she cant afford to keep them. She has just had the male done yesterday so there wont be anymore but I just cant stand the thought of them being killed!
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

OMG I dunno what to do Empty Re: OMG I dunno what to do

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Could you perhaps say you would take them in and try to rehome them?

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Oh gosh what a horrible situation to be in!

Im suprised the vet agreed to that. Would you be able to foster Mum and babies until the babies are old enough to go into a rescue, or is that not a viable situation for you? Do you think she would give up the mother, even temporarily to a rescue so they could care for the babies? x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Jeez, I've heard everything now Sad

Really difficult situation for you, I hope you can find a solution from the above.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:01 pm

The vet sugested it!!! Mad
What kind of vet would do this! its like a doctor offering a overdose!

I can take them in till they are ready to be rehomed its just if she agrees to this. She is keeping the mother and father as she wants them to but just cant afford the babies.
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Maybe say that you are willing to offer to look after the Mum and the babies, and when the babies are old enough you will give them to a rescue. (Even if you are going to rehome them yourself say this, because she might want them back to sell when they are old enough! so if you DO get them, say something like they are technically owned by a rescue even though they are with you etc!)

Maybe say that you feel it would be better for the Mum otherwise she might pine for them, better for the babies obviously, but also will save her money on a big vets bill tonight...pts of each baby wont be cheap! i know money isnt the issue, but sometimes we have to change our tactics with certain people. x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:45 pm

omg,thats heartbreaking No
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:48 pm

As well as the above, mum and dad will have to be separated for the next six weeks anyway as he will still be fertile. Otherwise, she could end up with a second litter.

If you were able to take mum now and keep her until babies were weaned, then babies go to a rescue and mum goes back to her home and her now sterile partner.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Yes he could still be fertile and she is at her most fertile just after birth. I am so shocked that someone could be so heartless. You could at least talk it over with your local rescue and find out if they can help with options.

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:36 pm

oh gosh that cannot happen HBWS

Could you take them in? or persuade her to keep them?

Poor bunnies, that is too much Shocked
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2008-08-07

http://www.myspace.com/newzealandbunnylover

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Im gonna have a talk with her today, I couldnt belive what I was hearing, my bf went crazy when I eventually told him. We are both massive animal lovers and just couldnt belive what she said! Im still quite gobsmacked.
What age do rescues take them in x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:42 pm

what a horrible person.

They will all have trouble surviving if they are not weaned. I would see if you can take the mum until she has had and weaned the babies if she will let you. Then see if a rescue will take them.

Good luck hunx x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:54 pm

how would I wean them off?
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Shocked OMG this is horrible!!! Definatly offer to wean them and re-home them!!! I hope your neighbour is co-operative!! I am disgusted by that vet!!! Mad

Let us know if we can help at all!!! Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Again I would suggest you talk to your local rescue. The chances are that they will have been through weaning many times and they would be useful back up whatever route you and your neighbour go. Also, bearing in mind that we are at the tail end of summer and the pressures of having a potentially large litter to be caring for over winter it might be best if you let them take the kits straight away. Not to mention it might make neighbourly relations easier in the long run

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Im not fussed about taking them in as there is someone in all the time so will be able to look after them. How would i find out my local rescue? just for some advice like you said. I would like to rehome them myself as I have done in the past and always go out and view the home so I know they are going to someone who has a nice hutch etc.
They havent been born yet so have some time to work on her to give them all over including mother for the time being x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Again I would suggest you talk to your local rescue. The chances are that they will have been through weaning many times and they would be useful back up whatever route you and your neighbour go. Also, bearing in mind that we are at the tail end of summer and the pressures of having a potentially large litter to be caring for over winter it might be best if you let them take the kits straight away. Not to mention it might make neighbourly relations easier in the long run

I think this should be your first port of call, remove your stress and anxiety around this, and try and get some help and support.
It's so awful, I can't quite believe what I've read TBH, but all you can do is what you can do, it's not your responsibility, and it shouldn't be, but I understand why you feel it is. Terrible situation Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Where are you based?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 pm

I found you op on the greetings thread so I now know you are Sunderland - for some reason I keep thinking you are in Hampshire!

From what I have found there are these rescues in your area

pipkinrabbitrescue.org/

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk/index.php

Sue_pawz volunteers for pawz for thought so perhaps you should ping her or there is an email on the buns listed with them in the adoption threads. You might even be able to use them as a route for finding new homes for the kits whilst keeping them with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:45 pm

[b]People that pull stunts like this should be brought in front of the courts also the vet needs exposing these as we all apreciate on here are lives that are not ours to snuff out on a whim makes me so angry Sad
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Ill get in contact with the rescue centres thanks you have all been great, the vets that suggested it was one in sunderland cant remember what its called, apparently they also do female castrations even when the rabbit is pregnant. What a horrible thing to go through make me feel sick to the stomach

**Apologies, but I've removed the name of the surgery, as naming them is could leave us open to prosecution. **

Last edited by Jay on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : See above)
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Emergency speys are common practice under certain conditions. Some vets won't do them at all, but there is no law against it. If a rabbit's health or life would be compromised by a pregnancy or delivery, then it is often the safest way to protect her. Some vets will also do an emergency spey if the owner cannot accommodate the kits - but it is usually done just days into the pregnancy. It's a contraversial subject, obviously, some owners/rescues etc have very strong feelings about it.

If you wish to report the practice, or find out more info about whether or they are acting within guidelines, you could contact the RCVS complaints dept. at http://www.rcvs.org.uk/complaints/ who hopefully will help Smile

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:21 pm

I will do thanks hun, sorry for naming thought it would have been ok Embarassed
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 pm

4390evans wrote:I will do thanks hun, sorry for naming thought it would have been ok Embarassed
It's easy done, especially when you're emotionally involved, so don't worry, but we can't have uncorroborated allegations on the forum, as it's read by professionals, vets and welfare groups.
It's part of the admin team's job to read and edit posts if nec Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:00 am

So just a quick update, Ive spoken to my neighbour and she has said that her sister inlaws sister has a farm they can all go to once they are born and weaned off the mother. When she said that it was such a weight off my shoulders. I was dreading having to fall out with her over this (which would have happened, as it is horrendous to think someone could do this). So at lease I know they are going somewhere that they can run about as there is woodland at the bottom of the farm also so they will have a good life. Thanks for all your help you have been a great support xxx Love
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down