Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hay - what to buy? (online or in Devon)

+3
fluffiebunnie
Becca6
rallybunny
7 posters

Go down

Hay - what to buy? (online or in Devon) Empty Hay - what to buy? (online or in Devon)

Post by rallybunny Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:16 am

I've been buying Evo boxes of Oxbow timothy hay for ages, but at the moment he doesn't seem that keen on it. The latest box is full of dust and really short strands which is probably why. I am also broke, and the boxes of Oxbow are nearly £30 a time, so I'm looking for something else!

Can anyone recommend anything that I can either get online, or in Devon (ideally within 1/2 hour drive of Torbay)??? I have also got a bag of this at the moment, which he really seems to like.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Hay - what to buy? (online or in Devon) Empty Re: Hay - what to buy? (online or in Devon)

Post by Becca6 Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:42 am

My bunnies can't get enough of the Dust Free Hay - it's £25.99 for a bale but it lasts ages - I've got probably a week's worth left and it's been on the go for two months and it's fed two bunnies and eight piggies. Delivery is really fast - usually within a couple of days.
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Hay - what to buy? (online or in Devon) Empty Re: Hay - what to buy? (online or in Devon)

Post by fluffiebunnie Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:50 am

Dust Free Hay promoter here too!!! Its really good Wave
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:12 am

I had Dust Free Hay ages ago, but they've changed it now - there's so many different choices!!
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffiebunnie Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:14 am

I buy the stalky meadow hay I think - I did get the soft hay once, but the bunnies didnt go for that half as much as the stalky.
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:14 am

I've recently got my fussier rabbits to eat the Excel Herbage, was on the Forage but the quality diminished to something akin to readigrass!

There are a lot of fans of Dust Free Hay though Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:16 pm

I managed to call at Dust Free Hay as I recently drove by and bought some of the American Timothy. The buns had just gone through a huge box of Oxbow, which I agree is very dusty, and are now wolfing down the dust free version. Dust is minimal and I am very happy with it. Sadly it is pricey with P+P, but I am lucky in that OH drives that way regularly so will be able to call for more.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:41 pm

Sixer wrote:I managed to call at Dust Free Hay as I recently drove by and bought some of the American Timothy. The buns had just gone through a huge box of Oxbow, which I agree is very dusty, and are now wolfing down the dust free version. Dust is minimal and I am very happy with it. Sadly it is pricey with P+P, but I am lucky in that OH drives that way regularly so will be able to call for more.

Is the actual hay comparible with the Oxbow? Evo seems to prefer the stuff with more stalks in and less of the flat softer strands.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:13 pm

*Bump*

Anyone else?
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 pm

The Dust free stalky meadow hay, every bun Ive had goes crazy for it Very Happy
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:23 am

rallybunny wrote:
Sixer wrote:I managed to call at Dust Free Hay as I recently drove by and bought some of the American Timothy. The buns had just gone through a huge box of Oxbow, which I agree is very dusty, and are now wolfing down the dust free version. Dust is minimal and I am very happy with it. Sadly it is pricey with P+P, but I am lucky in that OH drives that way regularly so will be able to call for more.

Is the actual hay comparible with the Oxbow? Evo seems to prefer the stuff with more stalks in and less of the flat softer strands.

Hi, sorry I didn't get onto HH yesterday.

And yes, I would say the Dust Free American Timothy is very similar to Oxbow, it is coarse with lots of seed heads. Dust Free had sold out of the English Timothy so cannot give any feedback on that. All our buns are wolfing it down, and as the box is stored in Rosie and BJ's shed I have twice this week found Rosie has managed to climb up and get into the box to help herself. Little minx!

The kids are back from their hols with their Dad today so I will get Lou to take a piccie for you and post it.
I will certainly buy the Dust Free again over Oxbow.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BavBun Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:20 pm

I usually get the normal meadow hay from the Hay Experts, my bunnies all like that. The Bavarian hay is nice, but a bit expensive. I often buy the Alfalfa King timothy hay, which is cheaper than Oxbow (unless you buy a huge box) and my bunnies prefer it to the Oxbow one, too.

BavBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 868
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:40 pm

BavBun wrote:I usually get the normal meadow hay from the Hay Experts, my bunnies all like that. The Bavarian hay is nice, but a bit expensive. I often buy the Alfalfa King timothy hay, which is cheaper than Oxbow (unless you buy a huge box) and my bunnies prefer it to the Oxbow one, too.

Brill, I am doing a HE order in a bit.

I also have a sample of the Dust Free Hay timothy on the way. What size is the box it comes in??
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Will measure it tomorrow for you Wink
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:55 am

Sixer wrote:Will measure it tomorrow for you Wink

Thank you. Smile I only have so many spaces in the house I can hide bunny related stuff without hubby whinging that the rabbit's taking over the house. Laughing
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:22 am

Have measured the box - good job as my estimate was wildly out - and it is 20" x 6.5".

We filled a 50lb Oxbow box with three of these, tho the hay wasn't tightly packed in if that helps at all. It is better I think to put the Dust Free into a another box/bag/bin cos it is so tightly packed into a box it can be akward to get out when bunnies are waiting for it!

Vanessa xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Sixer wrote:Have measured the box - good job as my estimate was wildly out - and it is 20" x 6.5".

Thank you. Smile I don't think I will get shouted at for having a few boxes that size. Laughing
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:06 pm

No, they stack up neatly and also the boxes are plain so will blend in with most decors!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down