Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms)

+4
NickieM
lizzi_b
fall3n-ang3l
iiisecondcreep
8 posters

Go down

Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms) Empty Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms)

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm

But carrot tops are good for buns, you might be thinking.

Not this kind...

Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms) DSC00897Medium

She has eaten three 'carrot tops' off the ball. The ball has treats in it, and she does know to roll it to get the goodies out. She also likes to throw it about a bit, and also to have a nibble Shocked
I don't want her to do her any damage by eating plastic, but she does like playing with the ball so I don't really want to take it off of her :/

Also, is there any way to discourage her from eating cardboard? She loves it. She had 2 big cardboard boxes with hay in them, I've taken one of them off her and I think I'll take the other one away as well. This will leave her with one little cardboard box which she likes to throw about. Hopefully this will mean she'll eat less as it won't be as readily available.

Just to add, she has LOADS of hay (as well dried leaves, sticks, some fresh leaves and a small amount of pellets twice a day) so its not for lack of anything else to eat!!
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms) Empty Re: Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms)

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Laughing

The cardboard shouldn't be an issue - mine have lots of options of cardboard to chew. You could always upgrade to a smooth dog ball for treats.

Back to top Go down

Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms) Empty Re: Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms)

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Laughing so cute,agree with the above,i would leave the cardboard in too,if she enjoys playing,will keep the boredom away
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:23 pm

aww bless she obviously thinks its a real carrot!!! I got buttons a cat one (all i could find around where i live) which is exactly the same size, except has fish on the outside and the fish print is indented into the ball rather than sticking out so maybe try find one of them as they shouldn't be as easy for her to nibble and grab hold of to throw!!!

As far as the cardboard goes, why discourage it? she'll only move onto something else in your home to eat!!! I regularly get Buttons a cardboard box from work and replace every week, as he seems to get bored once he's had a good nibble of the box, so a fresh one is much more appealing! I don't put hay in though (because he then thinks its a litter tray!!) I put a woven chew mat in the bottom, and he sits ripping and chewing the box and matt happily, before curing up and sleeping in the box!!! Very Happy
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:25 pm

That is exactly what Gloria did when I gave her the same treatball. It took her precisely five minutes!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Why oh why do they eat what they shouldnt Laughing

My 2 love a mat or bed to munch through and cardboard boxes keep them amused for hours Thumbs Up

Put all their toys in it then see how long it takes them to pull/drag them out and throw them down ramp Rolling Eyes usually not very long at al Laughing
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks guys! It is funny that its only the carrot tops she has chewed off!! I just read that too much cardboard can be bad for them, and she seems to eat an awful lot of it :/

The box I have taken off of her was a sort of digging box, as she was digging in the shavings that she was using as a toilet, but it just ended up being a sitting in and eating box (and its not even a box anymore as she's eaten the 2 ends off so its flat) Laughing

I'll leave the other big box (used to be her bed til) to put hay in and have a nibble on.
I think I'll look into getting a chew mat as well Smile

before I left for America we got her a fleece blanket, which my mum took off of her because she hadn't used it and figured she'd probably just pee on it.
I only got back yesterday, and I gave her the blanket again today. If she pees on it we can wash it, and it was only a few quid from tesco anyway.

Within an hour...

Bunny eating carrot tops... (inappropriate noms) DSC00895Medium Very Happy

Also, we got her 2 soft toys but my mum took those out as well as they have beans in them. We never considered the beans :/
Will the beans be ok, or should we take the beans out and replace within something like cotton wool, in case she rips them open?
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:02 pm

love the pics Love iam not sure about the toys but i would be wary
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Good call mum about the contents of the toys. I would be cautious about them too.

She is such a lucky girl and looking very at home. Love
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Ok, we'll burst a few stitches on the toys and refill with cotton wool Smile
(will cotton wool be ok?)
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 pm

She has so made herself at home. This is so wonderful, Im so glad you took her and decided to keep her.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 pm

i would also say no,to cotton wool
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Oh no! what would be best? A bit of scrunched up newspaper?
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 pm

iiisecondcreep wrote:Oh no! what would be best? A bit of scrunched up newspaper?

Newspaper would be fine.....or even hay.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Think I'll go with newspaper, hay would poke through and much as I expect she will destroy them eventually I don't want to encourage it! Laughing

My oh got her a plastic travel box while I was away, so i put that in with her today and stuffed it with hay with a few dried leaves mixed in and she's in there atm Smile Smile

Oh no! back out on the blanket Smile I guess she likes the blanket! Since I put it in she's spent most of her time sitting/lying on it Smile Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 pm

sweet,it may be a comfort blanket
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Could you fill it with hay?
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:42 pm

by hell she has mauled them boxes lol
What about a apple branch you got any tree's about, our twink was the same when I brought her in the house she ate anything in sight, but now (touch wood) she only ever eats the branch or the stuff in her house. xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Thats why i was worried about excess cardboard consumption!

I actually bought some apple sticks, there are a bunch of sticks in with her which I thought would be mixed but I've been informed they're all the ones I ordered from PAH (which she has completely ignored). So I gave her one of the apple sticks and she had a nom so fingers crossed!
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:31 pm

I got some of them off a site twink wernt interested till I pushed it through the bar so it sticks out, but she prefers the branch best
good luck hun x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Well, the apple stick has been moved about but seemingly not chewed yet!

We need to get her to eat more hay, which another reason for wanting her to eat less cardboard. She's not eating as much as she should so as well this not being good, she's hungry! Hopefully she'll like the timothy hay better.

I gave her a bit of newspaper to rip up, she likes to rip newspaper but she doesn't spend much time in her cage anymore and we only put the newspaper in there. She's been happily ripping that up and not eating too much cardboard.

iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Daisy loves his blankey too - he loves to be comphy and will choose to be sat on a blanket or squidgey mat.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 pm

aww, your so lucky ive bough so many blankets and beds for buttons but he just licks them or wee's on them!! He just loves laying on cold hard plastic!! Rolling Eyes so now i have a bit of PVC table cover stuff in the corner which he loves...although sadly loves eating that too!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down