Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wet feet

4 posters

Go down

Wet feet Empty Wet feet

Post by Nagila Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:22 am

Our bunny Garrus has started peeing a lot more often than we can clean his litterbox Suspect
Because of that he pees enough to get his back paws all wet but he won't stand still so we can clean them for him, but he's getting pee all over the place even on the sofa.
How can we get him to stand still so we can dry/clean his paws? And check his claws right away Wink
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Wet feet Empty Re: Wet feet

Post by Jay Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:30 am

Hi, I would put him onto a large towel and let him hop around on it. You could even throw half the towel over him so that he has to 'dig' his way out of it. That way, the towel takes the excess wee.

You may (depending on his personality) be able to check his feet whilst feeding him something, like a green leaf that takes time to eat. Some buns (like mine) are easily distracted by food!

Is there a reason why this is happening?

A few things that may help other members help you..
Is he neutered...how old is he...has he had a change of diet or an increase in one aspect of his diet.

Peeing on the sofa can be a terratorial issue (mine used to pee on me, on the sofa!) and he may be trying to claim it as his - answer is not to let him onto the sofa.

If he's young and unneutered, then a bit more age and neutering will eventually calm this down.

I aslo found that feeding dried grass to mine made him drink a lot more water, and consequently pee a lot more, so I stopped giving him it.

Edited to add: You could also make his litter tray more absobant by using thick cardboard as the base, cut to size, with absorbant litter above it. It does need sorting, as urine scold on the feet can easily lead to sore hocks, which can be very troublesome if they get infected.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Oooh maybe that's the problem XD we recently got a very large/low container thing that we put a lot of hay in and they both love it a lot and spend almost all their time in there and eat a lot of hay. Garrus always drank more than Benezia, but now he drinks a whole lot more Razz

He doesn't pee on the sofa, but kind of makes imprints with his wet paws.
And I'm definitely gonna try distracting him with food! He's a real sucker for anything edible Razz

He's not yet neutered and he's about 5 months old. And we have a lot a trouble keeping him from jumping on things Suspect there's only one piece of furniture in our place he can't jump on.
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 pm

we use news paper (because we have an endless amount at home) and we put that down first in his litterbox and then we put cut up newspapers.
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi,
there's a difference between dried grass (which in the UK is called 'readigrass') and hay - which admittedly is dried grass, but not quite the same. I only mentioned it because most buns love readigrass, but it specifically caused this problem with Stewie. Unless there's a medical reason not to, rabbits should always have access to hay, and it should make up 70 - 80% of their diet, ideally.

I understand about the sofa now, sorry Smile

I would try the thick cardboard if you can - if you pour water onto newspaper, it takes ages to absorb, and a lot of it sits on the surface for a while. Thick cardboard will absorb it much quicker, and there's a litter you can get here ( you may be able to order it on-line for the NL) called Meggazorb ( http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/190575711815?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes ) which is super absorbant.

He'll be right for neutering now if you want to, and I really think this will make a difference. Urinating and spraying urine are common behaviours in fertile Buck rabbits. Don't expect it to stop immediately, as they still retain testosterone in their system for some weeks after neutering.

There's a similar issue on this thread from last year, may give you some other pointers Smile
https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t8145-advice-on-weird-urine-behaviour
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:40 pm

I would change start using a bunny litter in his tray. I can highly reccomend Megazorb - available from www.thehayexperts.co.uk.

Its good that they are eating so much hay - it will keep them nice and healthy.

If there is a sudden increase in the amount he is drinking and therefore weeing I think its worth getting him checked out at the vet as there could be an underlying problem causing this increase.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:18 pm

I too would recommend Megazorb, I ordered it from the hay experts and It is amazing!! It's so absorbent, soft and really stops any smell somehow!!

I agree with Katie, i would take him to the vets for a check up, just eating hay shouldn't increase his drinking amount that much, its the main part of their diet!!

Hope you find a solution!! Smile
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I just made an appointment to check him out and to neuter him, but that megazorb stuff Sad it really sucks that they don't sell that here.. I wonder what they use for horses or guinea pigs ect instead of megazorb. I read somewhere that most people use carefresh for their guinea pigs, but that stuff's crazy expensive! Especially since we clean out their litter boxes every night. We'll just order it from the UK now and then see what else we can use or if there's a faster way of getting it.
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Let us know how he gets on hun, sending nose rubs to them both x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Megazorb is a wood pulp horse bedding that is similar to carefresh. It is worth checking out the horse suppliers in your area Naglia to see what sort of beddings they offer as there may be something similar and it is often cheaper to buy in these bigger bulk bags. I also use a recycled paper cat litter for my guinea pigs litter tray which is very absorbent indeed. I just put their hay on top.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 am

Nagila, there's a product available in the Netherlands called 'Hemparade' which claims to be very absorbant, and hemp is fine for bunnies. I saw it on a forum, someone was recommending it, but obviously I can't vouch for it having never used it Smile

http://ozhemp.com.au/hemparade.htm
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks Jay Smile it looks good enough and less expensive than CareFresh Very Happy I also found a list of places where they sell it here and the list is pretty long, so I guess it's popular here Razz I really had no idea they used hemp for paper ect.. Pretty weird.
And not to mention it would save me loads of money since they sell it in big packages Very Happy especially since Benezia is fine with newspaper Wink
By the way the cardboard really helps Smile that way the urine doesn't spread, but stays in one place keeping the rest of the newspaper dry. I'm definitely gonna do that for Benezia too to keep it all as clean as possible.
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 am

Oh kool, glad you can get it, let us know if it works, and I hope all goes well at the vets Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down