Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roman Stinks!

3 posters

Go down

Roman Stinks! Empty Roman Stinks!

Post by 4390evans Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 am

Our Roman stinks of sour old mans sweat, I caught him in the house today which is not alowed when Jasper is away as he tortures him, When I picked him up he stunk to high heaven. Its was realy offending he is the oldest of the males and none of the others has smelt like that, is this normal?? I thought he might just be spraying as he was having a good thump as I chased him about the house trying to catch him.
I dunno any ideas?
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Roman Stinks! Empty Re: Roman Stinks!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Chances are he needs his anal scent glands cleaning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 pm

yeah, it may be his scent glands need a clean. Is he particularly pongy around his bottom?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I dunno where its comming from all I know is that its some where down there, I know its a stupid question but is the anal scent glands in or around that area??
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:21 pm

They are the slits either side of the genital area.

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 pm

yeah Ive just had a indepth look and he is clean as a whistle, there is a little lump with a black dot on in his flaps are these to do with anything?
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:11 am

yeah like them 2 pics at the top, what are they?
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:07 am

They are just part of the gland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 am

Have you noticed if his wee is a bit fishy smelling as he could have a urine infection as they can appear to smell sometimes if they have scratch

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 am

his wee smells just like the rest realy, although it is strong!
Do I have to do anything to these glads or does the stuff just come out??

Also there looks like a scab between his testical and flap at the base of his tail. It looks old as I cant get into it, its dry and a massive crust about the size of a 5p Im gonna salt water it today to see if I can free it abit, I thought it might have something to do with fly strike at first but its clean and nothing is moving and there isnt any eggs etc do Rabbits bite eack other there when they fight?
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:23 am

Is it brown and waxy? If so it is probably the substance that comes out of the glands. If Bruce is smelly I just gently clean the glands with a cotton bud dipped in warm soapy water or if there is a lot of wax vaseline. Lots of fresh water daily should help with the urine smell. But bear in mind that whilst he is 'entire' he will be smelly, especially with all the girlies around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:25 am

4390evans wrote:his wee smells just like the rest realy, although it is strong!
Do I have to do anything to these glads or does the stuff just come out??

Also there looks like a scab between his testical and flap at the base of his tail. It looks old as I cant get into it, its dry and a massive crust about the size of a 5p Im gonna salt water it today to see if I can free it abit, I thought it might have something to do with fly strike at first but its clean and nothing is moving and there isnt any eggs etc do Rabbits bite eack other there when they fight?

Has Roman been neutered at all? when bucks sometimes fight they will go for each other's genital area and so it could be that. This is serious fighting and needs to be kept an eye on as fight's like this can cause a lot of damage and sometimes be fatal. It could very well be an old wound that's healed and scabbed over.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:56 am

He hasnt been done yet, he did have a massive fight with Jasper before I found jasper to be a boy and not a girl as I origionaly thought. This was about a week ago now.
Roman is gonna get done next month with Thumper. He was ment to be done 2 weeks ago but Ive had loads on.
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:23 am

4390evans wrote:He hasnt been done yet, he did have a massive fight with Jasper before I found jasper to be a boy and not a girl as I origionaly thought. This was about a week ago now.
Roman is gonna get done next month with Thumper. He was ment to be done 2 weeks ago but Ive had loads on.

So Roman and Jasper are both not neutered, then I would say the scab on Roman is an old war wound from the massive fight. I wouldn't let them be out together at all as this will happen again with being entire bucks as one of them is going to be badly injured.
They will also be fighting over doe's.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:32 pm

yeah as a rule I alternate between the 2 of them Roman then Thumper each day, but then Jasper came in with blood on her neck at the back of her ears, I thought it was unusual for them to fight as they had been fine and normaly I cant catch Jasper, but that day she come into the house with Twink so I thought Id check, and there is was, a little winky!!!! explained alot as for 2-3 days they had been pawing each other but that day there was fur all over. So I kept Jasper in with Twink for a few days after I cleaned him up and tbh I think he has paired with Twink (shes spayed) as her coat has been lovley over the few days he has been in with her so I may keep them both in over night from now on. I can let Jasper and Thumper out together they are both fine with each other (they are brothers) so I think that might have something to do with it. They are all getting done before this year is out so fingers crossed Roman is nicer after that!
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down