Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up

+8
lizzi_b
Tuckerbunnies
Dotdot
kobikiki
Nagila
KatieB
NickieM
JoeyBunsMum
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up Empty Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up

Post by JoeyBunsMum Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Well since he's got home he hasnot eaten or drunk anything (although done 3 poos) and is huddled up under his table.
May have caught him teeth grinding Sad
Obviously he is very sleepy and keeps closing his eyes, but seems to have one eye clamped shut like he can't or doesn't want to open it. I have seem him scatching it too scratch

They gave him painkillers, and told to give in a dose in the morning. Hard to know if it's just being subdued or he is in pain.
His ears are a bit cool, do you think I need use some heat aid? Unfortunately I don't have a heat pad.

Last edited by JoeyBunsMum on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up Empty Re: Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:40 pm

The painkillers are long lasting and usually last 24 hours if that gives you any comfort.

If you have a hotwater bottle wrapped in a towel, that will be as good as a heatpad. They do find it harder to regulate their heat after a GA. Try to pop him into something like a carrier or a box lined with towels to help keep his bodywarmth up. If he is a bit sleepy, he will probably not object. Anything, say a plastic crate would be good.

The fact that he has pooped is good news. He may just be too sleepy to be bothered with food, but try to entice him with things that you know he loves. You can wave food in his face a little and see if he will bite at it out of annoyance. That way he will eat a little.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up Empty Re: Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up

Post by KatieB Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:27 am

how is he this morning?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Hoping for a fast recovery Hugs Let us know how he is
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for the advice Nickie.

He has eaten a little bit last night / this morning - plantain, orchard grass, rosemary and the odd pellet but he's not too bothered about these at the moment. We've given him a bowl of water and he's had a drink at least. He did a big piddle (obviously on the rug Rolling Eyes ) last night and has pooped, although they are a small and some mishapen (understandable considering he's not wolfing down hay?) Had his painkillers this morning too.

I'm still worried about his eye, which is a bit more open but looks messy and agitated. Not really sure what this is, altough I did notice his face was covered in medication when we picked him up so maybe some went' in his eye...

It's a lot different this time to when we had bridge bun Barney done, he was pretty much normal when hecame home. How long does it take until they are back to normal? A couple of days?

Fran x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Perhaps you should give the vet a call and ask to speak to the vet who performed the op, ask if there is anything unusual you should be aware of? His eye does sound a little weird! Daisy has had about a million GA's and never had eye problems, or had medication on his face.

How is he in himself?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kobikiki Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Ahh poor Joey, I suppose his eyes could have got dry whilst under GA? which is causing them to be sore? They do tend to look a bit dishevelled around the eyes after the op though I found.

Do you have a piccy?

The vet probably made sure he was eating before they let him go.

Kobi didn't do many normal poo's until a day or so after, he was pooing, just not the normal kind if you catcch my drift lol

I hope he is okay, these buns do love to worry us! xx
kobikiki
kobikiki
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Yeah Tigger looked quite sleepy round the eye, was a little crusty but that soon went.
I was going to say I wouldnt worry too much about him not eating when you got him home as Tigger wouldn't eat a thing, so I left lots of stuff in there overnight and that went by the morning.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Rung the vets and asked some advice re: the eye and she said that they use some 'glue' when the put buns under a GA to keep their eyes from drying out, as they tend to keep them open, hence the gluey appearance of his eye. Will give it a clean with some water and cotton wool.

She also said he should be getting back to normal by tomorrow with his eating/energy levels and if not we may need to take him back. At least he is eating something, and it's probably normal to still be feeling off. I think we all would wouldn't we!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance/advice. Means a lot when you are in Bun Panic Mode x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:03 pm

kobikiki wrote:I hope he is okay, these buns do love to worry us! xx
That is very true, but Better safe than sorry Razz
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Oh wow I never knew they did that! Completely explains Tiggers eyes then.

I'm sure he will be bounding back in no time, I'm glad he's plodding along well.

Bun Panic mode is awful, even when you try to reason with yourself about something and how simple it could be you always worry it's something awful!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up Empty Re: Update on Joey

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Dotdot wrote:Oh wow I never knew they did that! Completely explains Tiggers eyes then.

I'm sure he will be bounding back in no time, I'm glad he's plodding along well.

Bun Panic mode is awful, even when you try to reason with yourself about something and how simple it could be you always worry it's something awful!

Good news is he's had a little wander and chewed a bit of a leaflet, always a good sign Laughing

Absolutely true! It's so easy to jump to the worst conclusion all the time.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:51 pm

I think as the day goes on you should be seeing a difference in Joey Smile

I'm glad he's started to eat something and wander he's getting there xxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Laughing That's a good sign!

Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Happy Dance And he's eaten some pellets from my hand with vigour Very Happy

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Sounds like someone's appetite is coming back! Happy Dance
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:54 pm

oh i missed all this, but gad to hear he is bouncing back!! Happy Dance
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Update on Joey U/D-Had his check-up Empty Re: Update on Joey

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Dotdot wrote:Sounds like someone's appetite is coming back! Happy Dance

Yes! He has nommed all his tea! Happy Dance Happy Dance

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Yayyyyy! Well done Joey! Really good news Hun x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Happy Dance So happy to hear that he is getting back to normal!!! Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Go Joey!!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:06 pm

That is sounding so much better today. I am delighted he is eating and peeing and pooping again.

When your pet is ill and you are worried it is such a lonely place to be. Often it is after hours or at weekend. Always post as even if we can't offer practical advice, we can just be there for you and it is someone to share your worries with. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 pm

NickieM wrote:Always post as even if we can't offer practical advice, we can just be there for you and it is someone to share your worries with. xx
that is very true for sure it really helps Very Happy

Glad to hear he's doing better too Smile
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Very Happy I said didn't I as the day goes on you should see a difference in him and it sounds as if he is improving
on the hour , I'm so pleased for Joey and you Hugs

Topping up the Vibes for Joey xxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:34 pm

NickieM wrote:That is sounding so much better today. I am delighted he is eating and peeing and pooping again.

When your pet is ill and you are worried it is such a lonely place to be. Often it is after hours or at weekend. Always post as even if we can't offer practical advice, we can just be there for you and it is someone to share your worries with. xx

So true. It's comforting to know that a fellow Hopper will have been in the same boat and can offer advice, or at least know what you're going when you have a poorly bun. And of course no other place would get so excited about bun bowl movements Laughing

Tuckerbunnies wrote: Very Happy I said didn't I as the day goes on you should see a difference in him and it sounds as if he is improving
on the hour , I'm so pleased for Joey and you Hugs

Topping up the Vibes for Joey xxx

You were absolutely right Maysie Smile I think he is pretty back to himself (apart from being in a mood with his Bunny Dad for bundling him in his carrier and taking him to the vets)

XX

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next