Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pointers on Litter Box Training??

+2
lizzi_b
joe3125
6 posters

Go down

Pointers on Litter Box Training?? Empty Pointers on Litter Box Training??

Post by joe3125 Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:37 am

Almost as soon as I put the rabbits in their pen for the first time, Smokey pee'd on the floor, no biggie I undestood that she was anxious from the hour and half road trip home. Later she actually did go and get into the litter box to poop. and they both will go into the litter box and poop. But they have no qualms about pooping where-ever they happen to be as they see fit, including their nest box.

Any tips on training them to use only the box?? or is this just how it is??
joe3125
joe3125
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-10-11

Back to top Go down

Pointers on Litter Box Training?? Empty Re: Pointers on Litter Box Training??

Post by lizzi_b Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 am

Yea I battles with buttons to go in his litter tray, there are posts somewhere on this forum from my trials and tribulations!! But I can safely say buttons is a funnily litter trained bunny now!! It is basically a case of litter (preferably not wood shavings) then with lots of hay ontop of the litter and the idea is they wee, poop and eat all in one spot! Just make sure that the litter tray has some nice high sides, as bunnies like to push their bum against a surface and pee, otherwise they do often accidentally pee over the edge!! Laughing I now use a washing up bowl and cut out one side so it's easy for him to get in and out (buttons is only a miniature) and works a treat and is the cheapest litter tray ever!!

Good luck, just keep patient and pick up their poo and put it in their litter tray and they will soon get it!! If you need any more help let me know as I tried everything! (Buttons was stubborn with litter training)
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:32 am

I thought i had litter training down to a fine art....then i bonded a trio and BOOM...I think they have a poo fight when im not around! Shocked

What lizzi_blackwell3 is good advice...their litter training really improved when they were indoors and i was able to pick up their stray poos almost straight away. Now theyre outdoors, its quite a bit more difficult!

It just takes time, im sure Smokey will get the hang of it eventually. If theyre continuously peeing in the same spot, i would move the litter tray. You just have to work with them. Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 am

i "think" ive read that it also easier to train them when they have been spayed too but ive noticed no difference with mine Love
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:03 am

Hay in the litter tray is a good tip - Buns like to chomp and poo so having the hay in or above the litter tray just makes sense. Also it depends very much on the buns and their preference for litter. My pair will only use the tray if it is lined with newspaper and topped with hay any litter in it and they won't use it. In fact they have recycled paper cat litter in their digging box and they haven't peed in it at all. So it is largely trial and error with that. Just keep sweeping up the loose poos and put them in the litter tray. If you have a stray pee soak it up using kitchen roll and put that in the tray as well. They will begin to get the point. Don't clean the tray with anything too strong smelling at this point - the buns need to smell the trace of pee to remind them where to go. A washing up bowl or high sided cat litter tray is a good option as you get less kick out of poos when they get out of the tray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 am

We have newspaper in the litter tray first then some megazorb and then hay and they do like to nibble hay as they use the litter tray. When you clean your litter tray out leave a little bit of soiled litter in it so they can spell where they have been before and this should encourage them to go there again.

Sorry it's not unlike the post above is it ...duh! Razz

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagila Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:11 pm

My buns are also very clean about where they go, but they also poo outside their litter box. most of their poos are in there, 'cause I hang the hay rack right next to the litter box so they're standing in the litter box to eat, but when I give them pellets I usually hide them all over the living room and they poo then too while eating and looking for pellets, but they always pee in the litter box.
Nagila
Nagila
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by joe3125 Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Excellent, I did notice that they poop a ton while eating their hay or pellets. But didnt think about moving the hay over the litter box. Will go move that now and cross my fingers lol. Thanks.
joe3125
joe3125
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Yea what MarleyNfriends said about moving the litter tray to where they tend to do the most is a good idea! Buttons decided he liked doing it in the middle of the longe floor, so I had to move the tray there and then gradually I have managed to move it inch by inch towards a wall!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down