Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11

+13
bobtek85
Ruffin
Tuckerbunnies
Nighthawk
Josie
KatieB
Vince the bunny
NickieM
fall3n-ang3l
icedancer
lizzi_b
dizzylynn
emma.b_90
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11 Empty any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11

Post by emma.b_90 Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Ive had magnum about a month now and when i first got him he didnt like being picked up. I had to wrap him in a towel but he didnt struggle to much. Well things are getting no better Sad He hates it. To the point where instead of just struggling he now scratches like mad, im cover in hundreds of scratches all over No I know most rabbits hate being picked up, but i want to atleast get him ok with it, dont want to be taking him to the vets and it looking like ive just picked up a wild rabbit! Rolling Eyes Any ideas?? Do any of you have buns that you can abosultely not pick up?? I feel like im failing Sad

I know he may never get to the pick up and snuggle stage, but just being able to pick him up to move him would be nice! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If im on the floor he'll come over, nudge, lick and nibble, lets me stroke him, but only when he wants, and not for very long!

I need ideas, coz im stuck HBWS

Last edited by emma.b_90 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11 Empty Re: any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11

Post by dizzylynn Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:30 pm

How old is he, get him nuetered (sorry spelling is terrible) he should calm down once you have this done, also how much space does he have, a bunny with loads of space is generally a happy bunny, tbh bunnies dont like to be picked up and held, they come to you, picking them up to cuddle them is often not fun for them, my charlie sometimes loves and needs a cuddle (he snuggles into me) other times he refuses, but always likes to lie on the sofa and snuggle into your face or neck on his terms, for now let him come to you, sit on the floor with him and let him come up to you climb on you, grow confident in you being there and trust you, also they dont like to be picked up high, he may be scared of the height doesnt feel secure. Give him time, he is still settling in even after a month.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11 Empty Re: any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Have you checked out the vids Anne did with Stewie? I have terrible problems with Flo because she won't let me touch her let alone pick her up. I am currently waiting for Anne to get back to me with some ideas about what to do. I will keep you lot up to date with any progress.

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:35 pm

yea buttons makes it nearly impossible for me to pick him up too!! I've just accepted it now! and when it comes to the vets i wouldnt worry because even the best handled rabbits are scare at the vets so magnum won't seem wild to them!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:35 pm

If you need to move him, can I suggest you use some of his fav veg liek parsley or corriander and make him follow you.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:42 pm

See if you can get him used to the pet carrier too, as he might just jump in it by himself. Florence is very good at being picked up when she's in her house, but rubbish about being caught to go back in! On more than one occasion I have had to get the pet carrier, plonk it on the floor and she just runs into it. I have ended up with many stratches on my hands from trying to catch her to put her back.

And as happy as she is being handled, cuddled etc, she does at times play up at the vet! The last time after her spay I had to do the holding for the vet to inspect her tummy, and she wriggled for me.

As long as he is happy, and you have a way of transporting him, I wouldn't worry too much. The vet has always seen worse!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:59 pm

both of mine wont let me pick them up,spike does like a nose rub every now and then,snowflake has only just started letting me stroke her nose and thats only one or two strokes and thats it,ive had them for about 6 months now,so ive had a little progress,i would just follow him and do it at his pace,some buns like to be picked up and some dont,ive accepted that they will never be cuddly bunies,so iam happy with the strokes
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 pm

he's 14 weeks now, is that old enough for him to be neutered? he has tons of space, he has the whole of downstairs all day. The only time he's in his cage, which has a pen attached, is on a night he goes in just before i go to bed about 12-1am and comes out about 7am. The rest of the time he can go where he please.

When i do pick him up i get down on the floor with him, so its not to high. Then stand up once i have him secure, i prefer being on the floor just in case. Not that i have ever dropped him! altho at times i dont know how i havent!

I have looked at the vids but he's just not calm enough, as soon as i get a hand under his belly he starts kicking and struggling Sad

At the min i am using veg etc to lure him to where i need him to be, but would like to be able to move him there without the need for food! dont wanna give him a weight problem! And to be fair he often comes when he's called! lol

Some1 said just to keep picking him up and eventually he'll get use to it? but i dont want to stress him out.

Im hoping as he gets bigger it maybe easier?? as he's so small i dont want to break him! lol

emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 pm

i think about 5-6 months is when they will neuter him,i would just give him more time,a lot of patience is required,it might take months
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:17 pm

The only time Florence really hates being carried is if her back legs aren't secure. I have to use one hand to sort of cradle them or she just wriggles. It might be he doesn't like the feeling of his back legs off the ground.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:27 pm

i usuall do try to craddle his back legs, but most the time its impossible.

i just tried again and used his blanket to wrap him in, but he still struggled. Not as much in his blanket, he only stayed still for a few mins then wanted to get away!

im just so scared that hes gonna hurt his back or legs Sad
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:42 pm

emma.b_90 wrote:Im hoping as he gets bigger it maybe easier?? as he's so small i dont want to break him! lol

emma.b_90 wrote:im just so scared that hes gonna hurt his back or legs Sad

Thats how I feel with Buttons, But don't forget Magnum is a miniture too so he won't get much bigger! After speaking to the vet, they reasured me I need to be firm with picking him up and that I won't "break" him!! Half the reason you will be having trouble (the prob I have) is that they can sense if you aren't 100% confident at picking them up! I would say maybe give it a break for now, and let him learn that you are his loving mumma and going near you won't result in him being picked up!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Wolfgang was like this too. He HATED being picked up. On the couple of occasions when I have been stupid enough to think I am going to be able to pick him up and hold him, I have been suitably punished. Once lifted he turns into a rabbit velociraptor, all teeth and claws. I used to be covered in scars, thus leading to his Sunday name of Wolfgang Scargiver. Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:13 pm

I would focus on holding behind the front legs and between the back ones. But I would urge you to ask 'why am I lifting up this bun?and is this something I can do at ground level?'. With FloI have little option to chase her around the room then pick her up as she won't come to me. Bruce on the other hand is willing to come and have a fuss made of him so I can check ears and eyes and nails just where he is. He is much happier that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:15 pm

I find Boo doesn't like being picked up so I just don't. I can do bum checks when I'm in the play house by getting him to jump on the hutch inside so I can crouch down and see him at eye level. Because I no longer pick him up (had to when he was indoors to put him to and from the run each day) he now comes over to greet me and lets me stroke his back (but not his head).
If I have to pick him up, I get him so he is facing me and I put my left hand gently over his head as I find if they cannot see it calms them. I then quickly scoop him up with my right hand and stuff him under my left arm with his head under my left armpit and I squash him into my side with my left arm and my left hand supporting his side and back legs. If he kicks he is not scratching me just pushing himself further into my side and his body is supported by my hand and I can use my right hand also if needed. He cannot see much cos he is under my armpit so this calm him. I avoid chasing him around, I bribe him with a treat then do it quickly. I hope that makes sense. Rabbits are not cuddly creatures and I carry all my buns like this to avoid being scratched on my chest and to avoid their back legs kicking out.

I hope this helps.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 pm

great tips on lifting i'll give them a try. And your right i dont feel confident when im picking him up, mainly coz i dont want to hurt him.

Im wanting him to learn to be picked up mainly so i can do the checks like bum checks. Hes an indoor rabbit and i see no other way to check his bum, without being held. I want him to feel comfortable when being held. Not for long times, just enough so i can check him, and wipe him if i have to. Im happy with licks and strokes on the floor!

See now, i dont know if he is full mini lop breed, his ears are so long compared to other mini lops ive seen, and his hind legs are huge!!
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Daisy won't be picked up! He HATES it hence giving him his medicine is a two man job!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:50 am

Flopsy is now nearly 5 and for the last 5 years ive tried all ways to pick him up No No

He just wont have any of it Laughing

He likes a nose rub, bum scratch and loads of strokes but if he senses 2 hands attempting it he's off like a shot, kicking along the way Laughing

Needless to say i just dont attempt it now as its not worth us both getting stressed out, if im worried he goes in the carrier and off to the vets where he becomes a little angel Laughing Laughing
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Nighthawk Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:35 am

Hello!!

I have the same issue that you have with your gorgeous Magnum. I have scars from my buns flip outs. The Only way he will let me lift him up is if I scoop under his chest with my right hand, lift up and quickly bring him backwards/flip him with my left hand positioned at the bottom of his back like this;
any1 else have buns they cant handle? :( u/d 11/12/11 Liftingnh

I know some bun owners won't like the look of this but it is only to check/move him in/out of his cage.

It means no standing up cuddles but my arms don't get cut up this way and keep his stress levels down.

Hope this helps a wee bit xx
Nighthawk
Nighthawk
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:46 am

Bunnies have to feel safe and secure when being handled and picked up, and they must be picked up in a way that if they wiggle about they will not be dropped. Everyone has their own way of picking up or handling their bunny that suits them and as long as their bunny feels safe and secure and it works for them both I suppose that is ok .

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Well been taking it slow with magnum...been picking him up just twice a day. In the morning and on the evening, just for a few minutes at a time.

I sit on the floor so hes not to far from the ground....Anyway i managed to have a hold of him today with very few scratches involved!! He even let me hold him with 1 hand and feed with the other. Not sure if this is a good sign or whether he was that hungry he didnt care where he was fed! Laughing

Ya never know may even get to the point of being able to pick him up without my arm being shredded!
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 pm

[b]I now have 5 and not one of them likes being picked up so I try not to as I feel I am stressing them. They have loads of room to run, play and chill so I leave them to get on with it.
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtek85 Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:32 pm

emma.b_90 wrote:He hates it. To the point where instead of just struggling he now scratches like mad, im cover in hundreds of scratches all over

If im on the floor he'll come over, nudge, lick and nibble, lets me stroke him, but only when he wants, and not for very long!

I need ideas, coz im stuck HBWS

Ditto with Radar. Splash wont even be touched, or walked near. No
bobtek85
bobtek85
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:40 am

we've only had Thumper for a bit over a week and so far and the two times I picked him up to check him(for fleas) he did not like it one bit. I have a feeling that he may not be a cuddle bunny. I want one so badly! LOL Perhaps when we find a companion that one will be a cuddle bunny.

Thumper has settled in though. Runs circles around and between my hubby's legs. He's beginning to run around my wheelchair a bit. I'm sure it is intimidating for him.

Perhaps when we have bonded better I'll try picking him up again. But he may just want some between-the-ears rubbing when he nudges my foot and that is OK. He's happy and safe---that is all that matters!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:24 am

It's worth persevering, you'll get there in the end. My bertie was utterly unhandlable, and it took over a year beofre he'd let us touch him, but he turned into the biggest snuggle bunsta you could want Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next