Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And that's the end of fun for the buns..

+3
NickieM
lopz
NSD
7 posters

Go down

And that's the end of fun for the buns.. Empty And that's the end of fun for the buns..

Post by NSD Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 am

Last year, we had only recently moved in to this house and the garden was full of very small new plants. The rabbits weren't allowed outside without very strict supervision because they kept on killing plants by eating them and then my mum (who is obsessed with her garden) would get very angry.

I let the rabbits out into the garden this morning to have a run around. I've been doing it 4 days out of the week, from half an hour to 3 hours at a time. The plants are large and established now so they are allowed a nibble - one rabbit's tastings aren't going to kill them now. That's what we thought anyway.

Bruce committed triple murder this morning.

Mum has a few vines growing up the fence. He ate through the central branch of THREE vines whose only connection to the ground is through that central branch. All three plants are now dead.

I get so frustrated when he does this, because for the next few weeks or months I will have wait until my mum's not home to let them into the garden. it's a constant battle to let them out.

He's such a naughty bunny! I wish he would keep his insatiable appetite to himself. Mad
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

And that's the end of fun for the buns.. Empty Re: And that's the end of fun for the buns..

Post by lopz Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:51 am

some leaves are not enough for the monsters, they want to KILL the plants and I am sure they do it on purpose!!
I put this bramble in a pot last year and kind of secured it against bunny teeth with wire. I didn't mind them nibbling the leaves, but guess what happened?

Right...
Now it had grown back, it was 60 cm long, but don't I have a puppy????
Shocked
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

And that's the end of fun for the buns.. Empty Re: And that's the end of fun for the buns..

Post by NickieM Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:33 pm

You maybe need to put some chicken wire around the stems of any plant that Bruce is likely to munch. That way the central stem is protected. They are monsters when they like the taste of something. We had a house once where wild rabbits lived in the field across the road. They came into the garden at night and ate everything. Then they dug up the plants and ate the roots! It was a constant battle.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:33 pm

My very first bun, Marylou had 3 babies one day. The 4 escaped from the run and fed themselves for days with my plants, all my mint, basil, you name it, all gone, gone gone!
The 4th day they could be caught!
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Oh dear, naughty Bruce! Shocked

Bunnies are so destructive! Maybe the chicken wire would help protect the main bits of the plant - worth a try maybe? Too late for your mum's vines unfortunately!
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Oh Bruce......

Shocked
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 am

Thanks for the advice Smile At the moment all of the vines are dead Laughing , but once they re-grow i might go and buy some wire. The other plants are bushes and thus very hard for Bruce to get to the central stem as they are large.

At least with josephine i know she knows she is being naughty. Bruce is just so naive and silly that he simply doesn't understand why his mother is upset with him! Makes it very hard to stay angry for long.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:00 pm

Oh dear, oh dear Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have to laugh - I am so used to Gabriel being destructive that I can't sympathise with other tales of woe!

Gotta love these bunnies!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:04 pm

I use this stuff clicky to protect the Lavendars om the balcony, and there's a few more ideas here HTH Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down