Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccinations query

+8
KatieB
Tuckerbunnies
marleyNfriends
Thumper2001
icedancer
Dotdot
Big Ears
lizzi_b
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Vaccinations query - Page 2 Empty Re: Vaccinations query

Post by icedancer Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:48 am

That bit is a tad worrying.

I will look forward to hearing what you discover Jay!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Jay wrote:Thank-you Maysie Thumbs Up

Am a bit concerned by this
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.
I'm gonna e-mail my contact at the BVA and see what they say about check-ups and the above point.

I was worrying about this before talking to Frances about the vaccine and I've been trying to remember her explanation, I know it reassured me not to worry about it but I think this is how it went:

The vaccines they have been using in Europe have been the actual myxomatosis virus so this new vaccine will recognise real myxo either given by vaccination or the genuine virus caught by the rabbit BUT the vaccine that our rabbits have been given was a synthetic virus similar to the real virus but not identical. Rabbits that have been injected by the vaccine we have been used to have therefore not been exposed to the real myxomatosis and therefore this problem with a risk of not proper immune response to the VHD part of the vaccine shouldn't be a problem. (I'm not sure I've explained that properly but FHB understood it and was obviously happy that rabbits would be fully protected, well, better than they are now as nothing is 100% guaranteed.) Not sure where we stand with rabbits that have acutally had myxo though Hmmm

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:25 pm

I have just got Bruce and Flo back from having their myxi injection. The vet told me about the joint vaccine before I could ask her. She says that the rep had been in just this week. She reiterated the bit about it being the proper live vaccine and the benefit is that is should stop the buns from getting that mild myxi that some vaccinated buns have got.

However she said there was some question as to whether the vhd vaccine would be effective for buns that have previously been vaccinated. The vaccine launch is expected to be in March and they hope to have the answer to the vhd issue by then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

wow the new vaccination sounds very promising from what i have read/heard ... and if it were cheaper than the separate vaccinations it may help to persuade those who don't vaccinate their rabbits as its would only be once a year and not three times and a little cheaper. I may ask my vets if they will be getting this in and when, when i see them next
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2