Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about these potential babies!

+5
fall3n-ang3l
KatieB
Sparky
icedancer
Thumper2001
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Questions about these potential babies! Empty Questions about these potential babies!

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Lets pretend for a minute that we live in an ideal world... (I know, it's almost impossible to imagine Laughing) and these 4 babies I mentioned are 2 boys and 2 girls.

What would you take? 2 girls? A boy and a girl? I know 2 boys can be extra difficult so I've ruled that out already.

Watch it be a litter of 4 boys Rolling Eyes

If I go for boy/girl do they HAVE to be separated for a while before the boy is ready for neutering? All I know is boys are ready earlier. I'm quite worried about ending up with a million bunnies Suspect

Next thing! If, as I suspect, Dave and Saacha (mum and dad) are indeed brother and sister, do I need to be concerned? Are the babies going to be weak? Or wonky? Or both?

I read via google that rabbits can be bred with any relation (of the opposite sex obviously lol) but should not be bred with siblings? This has concerned me somewhat.

Any feelings on this?

Thank you Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Questions about these potential babies! Empty Re: Questions about these potential babies!

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 pm

I am assuming that the rescue do not know what relation they are to each other - Dave may have accidentally mated with his mother, this happens a lot. If they are all boys you could offer to take a boy and a neutered Saacha. Otherwise I would say take a boy and a girl. A friend of mine very successfully took siblings and kept them separated by pen panels until the ops. You can bring them home together then and hopefully the recovery period will recement their bond.

Back to top Go down

Questions about these potential babies! Empty Re: Questions about these potential babies!

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:53 pm

I never thought to ask the rescue about the relationship between Dave and Saacha. I will ask them next time I talk to them.

If they are brother and sister, will the babies be ok?

I have actually thought about possibly Saacha and a boy if they are all boys. Great minds Wink

I'm curious why you would opt for boy/girl over girl/girl. Is there a massive difference in the relationship between the two options? Or is it more just a personal choice? I have no idea Embarassed

Thank you Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Boy girl is considered to be the best potential bond - there are no sexual territory issues, hormonally they will complement each other (hopefully).

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:07 pm

A lot of vets are now starting to spay at 16weeks if the bunny is over 1kg. Its what my vet done with Florence, and talking to the rescue about it apparently its some new recommendation that's come from somewhere. Not sure how commonplace it is yet, but it might mean that the girl made be able to be "done" first, if not at the same time.

As I've said before, at the rescue there was a male who mated with his mum and the babies were fine. I imagine brother sister matings happen more than we'd like to think. If there were any major problems I imagine they'd show up early, not 100% sure on that though. I know plecs aren't meant to mate with relatives as they can hatch with one eye and no fins and stuff, but I know that's not helpful.

For some reason, the rescue I got Dougal from recommends girl boy pairing first, then boy boy. If you want I'll email them and ask their take on it?

Chances are there will be a mix in the litter. But bear in mind too, the sexing done at 6 weeks may be wrong as they are so tidly, so you may make a decision but end up with something else anyway Laughing

I have to say, if I was getting two from a litter my ideal would be two of the same sex, just to alleviate any possible risk from mating. Even if you are ultra careful, there is still a chance of them managing it. But that's just because I'm a worrier.

What colour is Saacha? Does she look very much like Dave?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Boy / girl if possible - we've found that's what works best amongst our eleven. We do have one bigger group with Smudge and three girls, but there is definitely more bickering amongst them and they do have to have the most space. Having said that, when I was bonded with Rosie and Molly we were all very close, but I think that is unusual.

I think that if the kits have survived babyhood healthy and well with no obvious problems, there should be no need to worry about their parents possibly being related. Although that sort of line-breeding is obviously not ideal, I would think that a certain amount of it must occur even in the wild...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Boy girl is considered to be the best potential bond - there are no sexual territory issues, hormonally they will complement each other (hopefully).
Thank you Smile

It's actually just come to me that both Saacha and Dave's cards in the centre say they are 1 year old, although the website says Dave is 2-3 so don't know what's going on there.

icedancer wrote:A lot of vets are now starting to spay at 16weeks if the bunny is over 1kg. Its what my vet done with Florence, and talking to the rescue about it apparently its some new recommendation that's come from somewhere. Not sure how commonplace it is yet, but it might mean that the girl made be able to be "done" first, if not at the same time.

As I've said before, at the rescue there was a male who mated with his mum and the babies were fine. I imagine brother sister matings happen more than we'd like to think. If there were any major problems I imagine they'd show up early, not 100% sure on that though. I know plecs aren't meant to mate with relatives as they can hatch with one eye and no fins and stuff, but I know that's not helpful.

For some reason, the rescue I got Dougal from recommends girl boy pairing first, then boy boy. If you want I'll email them and ask their take on it?

Chances are there will be a mix in the litter. But bear in mind too, the sexing done at 6 weeks may be wrong as they are so tidly, so you may make a decision but end up with something else anyway Laughing

I have to say, if I was getting two from a litter my ideal would be two of the same sex, just to alleviate any possible risk from mating. Even if you are ultra careful, there is still a chance of them managing it. But that's just because I'm a worrier.

What colour is Saacha? Does she look very much like Dave?
Thank you for your take on this too Smile

I guess I should phone my vet and see what their procedure is on spaying and neutering. Thank you for the offer to contact your rescue but it's ok, I will chat to the rabbit man on the phone again. He is never there at th weekend and I can't get there during the week Hissy

Hmm... Of course you are right about the sexing not being an exact science at 6 weeks. Hadn't thought of that. Like you, I'd feel so bad if I accidentally let them breed. There's enough bunnies going homeless in this country without me contributing Sad

Saacha and Dave look very much alike, only she is a little bit smaller.

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Yikes!! Spaying not slaying!! I ain't slaying no bunnies!!!)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Hmmm, it does sound like they could be related then doesn't it. It's not like Dave is a lionhead or mini-lop where they all look similar, but as Sparky says, I'm sure if there was something up with them it would have shown up by now.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Dave
Questions about these potential babies! Ee60c313

Saacha
Questions about these potential babies! 11e0992c
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Are they sure Dave is the daddy? Those babies do not look like their parents.

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:46 pm

The little tan one is a gorgeous colour

But good point Cheryl, Dave and Saacha are the same colour, the babies are a bit different. But sooo cute Love
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:54 pm

I didn't know if this was normal. You know how 2 black labs can make a yellow lab? I thought this could maybe happen with buns too? Embarassed

There are 2 that are the same colour as Dave and Saacha and then there's the random black and tan ones. I'm baffled.

Here's one of all 4 babies.
Questions about these potential babies! 267205a6
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 pm

I think because of genetics there can be throw backs to different colours, but the tan one is so different! But then I like different.

Are there any particular two you have your eye on?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:05 pm

I have found this on agouti genetics - 'The Agouti Pattern A
The Agouti gene set has three possible genes. They are list in order of dominance: A, at and a. The A gene is the typical wild rabbit color pattern. Rabbits with this gene would have white bellies, white eye circles and white on the underside of the tail. The individual hairs on a rabbit possessing the A gene will have color bands. If you blow on the back of the rabbit you will see circular bands of color, this is a result of this gene.

The at gene is known as the tan pattern. In order for this gene to display in the rabbit the second gene must either be an at or and a.If the second gene is an A (Agouti) the rabbit will carry the at but will show the A (agouti) since the A (Agouti) is dominant. The tan (at) gene has the same overall pattern as an Agouti. The belly will be white, the rabbit will have white eye circle, and the under side of the tail will be white. However, the individual hairs will not have color bands, but will be all one color.

The a gene is known as the self gene. Since this is the most recessive gene, the rabbit must have two a’s in the gene set to show this pattern (aa). With this gene the rabbit will be one color throughout their body, and the individual hairs will be one color.'

So I guess the black and the tan buns have the recessive genes.

When I was young and at boarding school 'my' rabbit, a calafornian, escaped and came back pregnant. She had 2 agouti babies and 2 black. So it certainly does not follow that babies have to look like parents. I just thought it must be fairly rare for 2 agouti buns to have 2 recessive coloured babies in one litter.

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Maybe Saacha had an affair with the milkbun but didn't let on to Dave about it Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:09 pm

I agree with cheryl - No they dont look like their parents do they....could dave be her son also?

I tell you what - what a bunch of cuteness. I am a little bit in love with Dave.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I have found this on agouti genetics - 'The Agouti Pattern A
The Agouti gene set has three possible genes. They are list in order of dominance: A, at and a. The A gene is the typical wild rabbit color pattern. Rabbits with this gene would have white bellies, white eye circles and white on the underside of the tail. The individual hairs on a rabbit possessing the A gene will have color bands. If you blow on the back of the rabbit you will see circular bands of color, this is a result of this gene.

The at gene is known as the tan pattern. In order for this gene to display in the rabbit the second gene must either be an at or and a.If the second gene is an A (Agouti) the rabbit will carry the at but will show the A (agouti) since the A (Agouti) is dominant. The tan (at) gene has the same overall pattern as an Agouti. The belly will be white, the rabbit will have white eye circle, and the under side of the tail will be white. However, the individual hairs will not have color bands, but will be all one color.

The a gene is known as the self gene. Since this is the most recessive gene, the rabbit must have two a’s in the gene set to show this pattern (aa). With this gene the rabbit will be one color throughout their body, and the individual hairs will be one color.'

So I guess the black and the tan buns have the recessive genes.

When I was young and at boarding school 'my' rabbit, a calafornian, escaped and came back pregnant. She had 2 agouti babies and 2 black. So it certainly does not follow that babies have to look like parents. I just thought it must be fairly rare for 2 agouti buns to have 2 recessive coloured babies in one litter.
That boggled my brain that did Shocked Laughing I'll read it again tomorrow with a fresh head Smile

Katieb wrote:I agree with cheryl - No they dont look like their parents do they....could dave be her son also?

I tell you what - what a bunch of cuteness. I am a little bit in love with Dave.
I don't think so Katie because both their cards at the centre say they are both 1 year old.

He is a darling but waaay too destructive for a house bun. Must be why they've advised he be an outdoor bun Laughing I swear, he had trashed the place!!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:56 am

there so cute,i love the tan one,is that one on its own? my original 2 that i was going to have was spike and an orange one but she died,so picked snowflake instead
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 am

fall3n-ang3l wrote:there so cute,i love the tan one,is that one on its own? my original 2 that i was going to have was spike and an orange one but she died,so picked snowflake instead
Aww that's so sad Sad

No, it is in with them but it obviously didn't feel like coming out to play Laughing When I first got there the 4 of them were snuggled up sleeping.

I've been up half the night because I kept having nightmares about Thumper dying so I'm really not sure what to do for the best Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:27 am

Hugs its just your conscious playing tricks on you. When something is in your mind you're more likely to dream about it, which isn't good when its something unpleasant.

Try and stop being so hard on yourself, or you'll just go crazy. I know that's easier said than done though. Thumper will always be with you, and will always be a massive part of you, but that doesn't mean you have to stop yourself from loving another pet

Hugs Hugs
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 am

icedancer wrote:Hugs its just your conscious playing tricks on you. When something is in your mind you're more likely to dream about it, which isn't good when its something unpleasant.

Try and stop being so hard on yourself, or you'll just go crazy. I know that's easier said than done though. Thumper will always be with you, and will always be a massive part of you, but that doesn't mean you have to stop yourself from loving another pet

Hugs Hugs
Thanks Carla. It just b****y horrible. It's like losing her all over again. The brain is a mean thing! One minute in my dreams, she's alive and well and then she's gone. Again. It's always similar to how it really happened too Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:41 am

I wonder if you had a new focus then your brain would be busy with something else and the dreams would stop. I don't necessarily mean new bunnies, it could be a new hobby or something. Just to try and stop the thoughts a little.

But it probably is because you're feeling guilty about thinking of getting new bunnies. When really you've got nothing to feel guilty about. Thumper won't be unhappy, she had a great life and would be happy that two other bunnies would experience that great life too

Hugs
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 am

icedancer wrote:I wonder if you had a new focus then your brain would be busy with something else and the dreams would stop. I don't necessarily mean new bunnies, it could be a new hobby or something. Just to try and stop the thoughts a little.

But it probably is because you're feeling guilty about thinking of getting new bunnies. When really you've got nothing to feel guilty about. Thumper won't be unhappy, she had a great life and would be happy that two other bunnies would experience that great life too

Hugs

agree with this Hugs
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:
icedancer wrote:Hugs its just your conscious playing tricks on you. When something is in your mind you're more likely to dream about it, which isn't good when its something unpleasant.

Hugs Hugs
Thanks Carla. It just b****y horrible. It's like losing her all over again. The brain is a mean thing! One minute in my dreams, she's alive and well and then she's gone. Again. It's always similar to how it really happened too Sad

Those dreams are always tough. I've had them - it's like nothing has happened in your dream, they are still there and then you wake up and realise Sad Hugs

I'm not helping matters here, but I too am slightly in love with Dave Laughing

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 pm

icedancer wrote:I wonder if you had a new focus then your brain would be busy with something else and the dreams would stop. I don't necessarily mean new bunnies, it could be a new hobby or something. Just to try and stop the thoughts a little.

Hugs
People keep telling me to get a hobby but there's nothing I want to do! I used to read books like they were going out of fashion but I can't even get into them. My friend tried to get me to take up baking/cooking Shocked I have a pretty bad relationship with food so that was a no no No

As for going out and doing something, can't be ar*sed. I haven't got much in the way of energy after a full days work. And I have no talent like some of you guys with your skating, sewing, jewellery making and drawing Laughing

All I'm good at is gawking at this phone! Laughing

I've been having these dreams on and off since she died but they had kind of eased off a bit Hmmm

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next