Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groups of bunnies

4 posters

Go down

Groups of bunnies  Empty Groups of bunnies

Post by Kate7590 Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:12 pm

So for those who have more than a pair-
How many do you have? What breeds? Ages?
How were they bonded?

I have 4, 1 Male and 3 females, all neutered.

They all live happily together in their own shed (8x4ft) and are let out every morning into their own garden.

Im just thinking of the future really, and I know Id love more bunnies but at the moment I don't want to risk breaking their bond by adding another, because I have nowhere else to house them if they did need splitting up.

Has anyone got a large group? Do you just bond them all when a newbie comes along? Do they generally bond easily?

Silly thread really, but I was thinking about it a lot yesterday and wondered what everyone else thought. Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Groups of bunnies  Empty Re: Groups of bunnies

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Kate7590 wrote:So for those who have more than a pair-
How many do you have? What breeds? Ages?
How were they bonded?

I have 3 buns, all nethies, Marleys a male and is 3, Dolly is a female and is 2 tomorrow! And Skye is the other female and is 11 months old.
They get on ok, but theres always one bun left out, but they all have their fair share of snuggles. I wouldnt bong a group of my own again, i prefer pairs. Smile

ETA: I totally missed the point here, didnt I Embarassed Laughing
It depends on the group dynamics, and on the new bun and when you think it will be hard, it can turn out to be quite easy and vice versa. You never really know whats going to happen, even after little introductions, they really have a habbit of surprising us. I stick with what I say about pairs though. Im currently reading Anne Mcbrides book; Why does my rabbit...? She mentioned in there that she prefers pairs too, as when you start to introduce more buns, you start to get a hierarchy with some buns being picked on and always being left out. Sometimes it works, my Skye is quite happy being at the bottom of the pecking order, but some buns can get really depressed.

Last edited by marleyNfriends on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:35 pm

I think it is fairly important not to add in a second male though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:28 pm

To be honest, I'd leave them as they are. I have 2 trios and although it would be lovely if they all lived together as they would have lots of space and different places to rest and sleep, I think they are better as two groups. My males don't like each other, and the older females don't like the younger females in the other trio.

If you like a group of animals and like to watch them interact, I recommend guinea pigs as sows are very easy to bond and they are sooooo much more interesting in a herd.

If one of your current rabbits doesn't like the 5th member then you will come unstuck. Thats 5 personalities to account for. Rabbits are funny antisocial creatures for creatures that like to live with company Laughing
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:24 am

I wouldn't add to my group now, if ever. As I say I haven't got the space to split them up if they didn't get on.

I have guinea pigs, and they are excellent herd animals Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by molly35 Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm

I have 5
Female conti
Male german lop
Female german lop
Male lionhead x
Female wildie x
They started off as 2 pairs which were bonded then the conti was added later.

molly35
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-03-21

http://www.hopperholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down