Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling everyone with bigger groups?

5 posters

Go down

Calling everyone with bigger groups? Empty Calling everyone with bigger groups?

Post by Indie22 Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:51 pm

I updated the other thread to say that I put the 3 buns that are depressed in a cage on the floor of the other groups shed. They are very relaxed and have eaten and are lying on their sides and backs comfortably which is unusual for them as they never did like contact with the other group. The 4 in the shed have even decided to sleep on the other side of the wire with them too. I have decided to start introductions while I am off. I have done plenty bonding now but usually 1 to 1 or 2 to one max 2 to 2. Introducing a group of 4 to 3 who have just suffered loss might be different does anyone have advice on bigger group intros other than the standard neutral territory etc. I remember theres someone on here who had a group of 7 or more.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Calling everyone with bigger groups? Empty Re: Calling everyone with bigger groups?

Post by NickieM Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:13 pm

It might be that this is a good time psychologically for them as they are craving company. Can't give you any advice but fingers crossed that it works out for you and them.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Calling everyone with bigger groups? Empty Re: Calling everyone with bigger groups?

Post by Indie22 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:05 am

thank you. Might be letting them all out in the garden tonight as thats no longer any ones territory. Only thing is its quite a large space but with so many I dont know wheather it would be better.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 am

It certainly sounds like they are up for it! I can't really help I'm afraid, but you may need to thoroughtly de-scent the are a that they all end up living in - they may bond on neutral territory, but once inside a 'claimed' space, that may be a problem. You can de-scent by mixing 1:10 parts biological washing liquid/powder with water and washing everything with it. Rinse, then go over the hutches/runs etc with surgical spirit.

I'll PM Charlotte, as she has done groups before. Good luck Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:23 am

Hey there, sorry that I seemed to have missed this thread. I did a group of 4 once but unfortunately it didn't work as thee females fought. I would like to bond a lone doe with a trio now but am teRrified of the consequences. Corrina had a group of 7 at one point which is now 5. I now that they consisted of smaller groups who came together one night after some escaping had taken place. They had been left to sort out their own issues overnight and the result was a successful bond with a few scuffles at the beginning.

The only other suggestion I could make is the carrier and car journey trick. However with such a large group it would be impossible to fit them all into one carrier
X
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:19 am

Yep, my 7 were 2 does (mother and daughter) and 5 bucks, it happened accidentally after a run break-out, and as they were all getting on and being polite to each other, they then remained as a group. I do find the less girls the better!!

Having said that, for some unkown reason, my lot will not accept Hartley (4 year old male) into their group, under any circumstances.

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:01 pm

I dont have any bother with girls once they are bonded. 2 girls always seems to fail with me but its 3 girls in each group. Wierd. Anyways.

It was a choice between letting them all out and running myself ragged or letting jeff out to see their reaction. I chose jeff because hes the only male and therefore he would naturally be the one to accept more girls to his group, he is small but much faster than them and very agile if the fatties did have a go they wouldnt have a hope in hell of catching him. He is also a gentleman and is very good at dealing with new buns and loves everyone. He was great. The 2 girls were hiding behind the plant pot and peanut at the other end of the garden. Peanut was more insecure and scenting things as she went but jeff left her to approach him and the sniffed nose to nose. Peanut turned and skipped off and jeff didnt bother (peanut is a little **** most of the time and has never backed off) He then kept trying to woo the girls out the corner politely sticking around but respecting their space. At one point he fell ontop of them but they didnt bother. Second to sniff nose to nose was cookie. She took a wee bit hair out him but they done the mad in the air circling and leaping then seperated but still good. Indies didnt sniff properly but was a few inches away and was ok. I finished at that because its now reaching 45f and way too hot for them. Will do the same tonight. If I feel they are up for it I may introduce taffie who is also playfull but polite. Zack is hopeless at bunny talk and would just sit on their heads like "HHHHHIIIII"

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Catswhiskas wrote:Hey there, sorry that I seemed to have missed this thread. I did a group of 4 once but unfortunately it didn't work as thee females fought. I would like to bond a lone doe with a trio now but am teRrified of the consequences. Corrina had a group of 7 at one point which is now 5. I now that they consisted of smaller groups who came together one night after some escaping had taken place. They had been left to sort out their own issues overnight and the result was a successful bond with a few scuffles at the beginning.

The only other suggestion I could make is the carrier and car journey trick. However with such a large group it would be impossible to fit them all into one carrier
X

sometimes its better to bite the bullet. As with the escaping you talk about, taffie escaped into 2 girls and a boy and they sorted it out over night. I went in to a pile of white fluff very confused at the dark brown ears sticking out the middle.I put her back but she kept escaping and I have never looked back with her. I think sometimes we worry more than they do and as long as their is no blood or bruising I just have to let them sort it out. My mum thought of putting the dog crate in the car for the 7 of them.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:10 pm

That would be a good idea and well worth a go.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down