Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it cruel

+4
Tuckerbunnies
Sue_pawz
Amelia66
Thumper2001
8 posters

Go down

Is it cruel Empty Is it cruel

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:12 pm

to only give he babies corner litter trays in their cage/pen?

We have one pee on the paper today (Junior no doubt!) but the room was smelly when I came home because there had been a few wees over the side of one of the trays and it had soaked into the fleece. Yuk!

My solution to this is corner trays! But I don't know if it's mean? scratch
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Is it cruel Empty Re: Is it cruel

Post by Amelia66 Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Marshall has a corner tray as he does tend to back up so much he wees over the side Laughing but a deeper toilet like a cheap washing up bowl can work too ......just don't was your dishes in it after Wink
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:26 pm

If you feel you don't want to go with a corner tray, you can get cat litter trays with a rim around the edge, so if he was in it then the pee would remain in the tray. Obviously if he perched on the edge it'd be a different matter...
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:28 pm

It's not cruel or mean at all, we use corner trays for Koko and Katie when they are in their play pen. They are ideal for the smaller buns who are apt to wee over the side of a litter tray as they just want to wee and go and play again as the older bun like's to sit and think and nibble a little hay at the same time Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Florence used to have a corner one, but she started to move it Rolling Eyes She sussed out how to get behind it and drag it into the middle of her house, then pee where it was Rolling Eyes I gave up in the end and got the rectangular cat litter style ones. She doesn't even know it's there.

If you want a go at a corner one I'm happy to post you Florences old one at no charge. It was very cute when she used to sleep in it!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Amelia66 wrote:Marshall has a corner tray as he does tend to back up so much he wees over the side Laughing but a deeper toilet like a cheap washing up bowl can work too ......just don't was your dishes in it after Wink
I'll keep the washing bowl in mind for when this idea goes wrong. Which I'm sure it will Laughing

Sue_pawz wrote:If you feel you don't want to go with a corner tray, you can get cat litter trays with a rim around the edge, so if he was in it then the pee would remain in the tray. Obviously if he perched on the edge it'd be a different matter...
Thanks for the tip but if I understand you correctly, that's the ones I have scratch The must just have a bad aim Laughing

Tuckerbunnies wrote:It's not cruel or mean at all, we use corner trays for Koko and Katie when they are in their play pen. They are ideal for the smaller buns who are apt to wee over the side of a litter tray as they just want to wee and go and play again as the older bun like's to sit and think and nibble a little hay at the same time Thumbs Up

Thanks Maysie, I'm going to give it a go Smile

icedancer wrote:Florence used to have a corner one, but she started to move it Rolling Eyes She sussed out how to get behind it and drag it into the middle of her house, then pee where it was Rolling Eyes I gave up in the end and got the rectangular cat litter style ones. She doesn't even know it's there.

If you want a go at a corner one I'm happy to post you Florences old one at no charge. It was very cute when she used to sleep in it!
Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm laughing at Florence!!! That's too funny!

Thanks loads for the offer but I have two already. Seriously, it's like a pet shop in this house Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 pm

There is always the covered kitty litter trays. They would have to hop in and back carefully to the door and then pee outside while hanging onto the edge. No. Wait. That might just be the kind of game they would like!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:
Sue_pawz wrote:If you feel you don't want to go with a corner tray, you can get cat litter trays with a rim around the edge, so if he was in it then the pee would remain in the tray. Obviously if he perched on the edge it'd be a different matter...
Thanks for the tip but if I understand you correctly, that's the ones I have scratch The must just have a bad aim Laughing

Ah ok. When we first got our cats they were just standard trays that we got, and we had a bit of trouble with pee, but when we got the ones with rims it was fine.

We now have covered trays for our cats, except one won't use them and was peeing in the bath until recently, when we have got him a normal one. Rolling Eyes Bloody animals...
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 pm

gentl wrote:There is always the covered kitty litter trays. They would have to hop in and back carefully to the door and then pee outside while hanging onto the edge. No. Wait. That might just be the kind of game they would like!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sue_pawz wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:

Ah ok. When we first got our cats they were just standard trays that we got, and we had a bit of trouble with pee, but when we got the ones with rims it was fine.

We now have covered trays for our cats, except one won't use them and was peeing in the bath until recently, when we have got him a normal one. Rolling Eyes Bloody animals...
Peeing in the bath?? ROFL

I think I maybe am misunderstanding you... I will do some net surfing Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Yup! He is a sensitive boy, very picky about where he will put his botty! (admittedly, his favourite thing to do with his botty is wave it in our faces).

We didn't have a problem, and then suddenly we were waking up to find little puddles in the bath. Clearly he doesn't like the covered trays, as when we added in a normal tray all was well.

This was all after taking him to the vet to check it wasn't an infection making him need to go. Oh, and after him peeing on me when I tried to get him into the carrier. He did such a good job I had to change all clothing but my socks! Shocked All ok now, anyway.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread with my Gizmo's bladder.

I think it's a boy thing.

I don't see that corner trays are a problem though.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 pm

You didn't hijack the thread at all Smile

My old next door neighbour used to have a springer spaniel. He's the best trained dog I've ever known. Unfortunately my neighbour got really held up at work one day (it really was unfortunate as she never ever let him go without his walks but she's a nurse and she couldn't get away) and the dog was needing a poo so what did he do????

Took himself up to the bath and did it in there!! We couldn't believe it!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Most dogs would have just pooped on a floor if desperate, not him! Good dog! Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm

It's really good! If they've got to do it somewhere inappropriate, I guess the bath is the next best place, nice and easy to clean!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 pm

It was a very proud moment for my neighbour Laughing

I miss that dog. He lived until he was 18 and I was in Tenerife when he had to be pts so I didn't even get to say goodbye Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Daisy has a cat litter tray with a lid on, we got him used to using the bottom of it first, took the swing door off and then popped the lid on after a few days. Works a treat, no spillages and its all out of sight and tidy.

Might be worth thinking about.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am

I think I'm going to have to look into these trays you guys are talking about Thumbs Up

Thanks Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 pm

I've been thinking about getting a litter tray for Nibbler for a while now. He's always been a good boy and always done his business in his favourite spot in his cage but I'm starting to think it will be easier to clean a litter tray than get his whole hutch out! I've read that it's best to train when you're around and can correct behaviour, is it best for me to be around or can I train him at anytime? Otherwise I'm going to have to wait before I can book some time off work!
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down