Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to put weight on 1 out of 4 rabbits

2 posters

Go down

How to put weight on 1 out of 4 rabbits Empty How to put weight on 1 out of 4 rabbits

Post by Kate7590 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:37 am

How can I put weight on one rabbit when he lives with 3 others.
I don't want to split him up away from the other 3 as I doubt the girls will take to kindly to that.
I don't think just upping his food will work, because he eats a bit then walks off and the other 3 scoff!
He has been to the vets and there is no reason for him to be loosing weight, teeth are fine and everything, however his poorly eye is causing him some bother so i wonder if that is the reason. The vets have said if it keeps bothering him they can remove the eye as he is completely blind in it anyway.

Sorry- off on a tangent there!
Anyway- Any ideas how to get some weight back on him please??
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

How to put weight on 1 out of 4 rabbits Empty Re: How to put weight on 1 out of 4 rabbits

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:51 am

You could give him higher energy treats hand fed so you can ensure only he is getting them.

Back to top Go down

How to put weight on 1 out of 4 rabbits Empty Re: How to put weight on 1 out of 4 rabbits

Post by Kate7590 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 am

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:You could give him higher energy treats hand fed so you can ensure only he is getting them.

I had thought about making him some porridge/ bran mash each morning and feeding it to him on his own???
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:23 pm

I think you need to either handfeed him or temporarily separate him for an hour or so to get more food into him.

However, I would be concerned that the eye problem is related to his teeth. Also, maybe because he is blind in one eye, his vision isn't as good for foraging and he just doesn't see the food before the others do.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down