Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maintaining weight

4 posters

Go down

Maintaining weight Empty Maintaining weight

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am

Morning guys.

The buns all had their health checks on Tuesday, all in tip top condition. Hughie has put on more weight, which is great, because he was a bit on the skinny side when i took him in. The thing is, hes gone up again since i last weighed him, its not a problem, but i dont want his weight to continue to go up and up and up!

Im just not sure what to do about his diet. Its got colder outside and he is going to be outside on his own through the winter unless he is rehomed, so i dont want him getting cold, but i dont want him getting fat either. He was 1.9Kg 3 months ago and now he is 2.3Kg almost. He gets very few treats, eats LOADS of hay, has 1 cup of veggies on an evening (usually herbs, rocket, spring greens and occasionally kale) and has a small amount of pellets on a morning.

Ive thought about slowly cutting out the pellets or about reducing his veg, but im not 100% sure what to do and dont want to alter anything until i am sure. Im not even sure i need to change anything yet. scratch Ive never really had this problem before, Marley, Dolly, Davie and Skye were all pretty good at holding their weight.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Maintaining weight Empty Re: Maintaining weight

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 am

I wouldn't change anything about Hughie's diet, we only give extra hay in the Winter to the buns and that's to keep them warmer. I think if Hughie is doing ok on the diet he's on then I'd leave it and if he put's to much weight on then reduce the pellets. I'd see how he goes on Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks Maysie, i just dont want him to get fat. I know English buns seem to be more slender, and i dont think he looks that slender anymore Laughing I thought he had a bit of a podge the other day Shocked
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 pm

It is my understanding that outdoor/wildies rabbits will start to put on Winter weight at the beginning of the Fall season to give them fat reserves to get through the Winter. His diet sound just right as is. You can always increase excercise
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 am

I expect he is gaining weight because he wasnt at his ideal weight if that makes sense, now he is, stick to what you are doing and then if he continues to go up, then cut down on pellets etc.

Its likely that he will maintain his weight rather than go up. x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 am

I wouldn't cut out pellets, just cut back. Do the ribs test, can you feel them and how easily? I have noticed that both Bruce and Flo have bulked up recently and I think it is seasonal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down