Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

its been so hot poor bunnies

4 posters

Go down

its been so hot poor bunnies Empty its been so hot poor bunnies

Post by dizzylynn Mon May 28, 2012 3:47 pm

I went out to the bunnies after got back from park yesterday and noticed they were wee bit smellier than normal, so left doors and windows open but blocked off escapies till had chance to clean them out after sorted kids. Still busy up till half 9 I thought I am to knackered, but went out to speak to them n say night night, nooooo way I could leave smokey any longer my eyes watered with the smell so at 10 pm I am out the back cleaning out bunnies houses lol. Probs best time to do it.
Today I went out to say good morning and the heat smacked me on the face when I opened his hut. So trying to figure out what to do to allow air in but not him out when I am busy I ended up removing his windows. Took the perspex off and replaced it with wire mesh, just need to make shutters so can close it in the bad weather. Hopefully this makes a difference. If I feel it to hot can imagine how he must feel.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

its been so hot poor bunnies Empty Re: its been so hot poor bunnies

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon May 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Have you any ice pods if not get an empty plastic pop bottle fill it half way with water ( if you fill it to the top it will expand and crack when frozen) put it in the freezer till frozen and then put in with the buns as they can lay next to it or lick it. Even an ice cube will just cool them down a little if they lick it. You can also get a damp cloth and just gently dab their ears to get their temperature lower.

I've shut some of the windows in the house as just hot air was coming in it's awful here Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon May 28, 2012 4:37 pm

No room in the freezer to put one, and big freezer in garage has everything infront of it so cant get near it grrr. I will put some ice cubes in there water dishes, could fill a bottle with cold water and ice cubes to put in beside them least will keep cool for an hour, rosies seems cooler but hers is just a basic hutch, not lined, the other 2 are in the play huts lined. Thought it kept heat out in summer and heat in through winter, nope seems to be just as hot inside as out. Ive been putting fresh cold water out every few hours, taken the warm stuff away replacing it with cold fresh water.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon May 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Are the play huts attached to a run? My playhouse and the avairy are attached to runs so the buns can get out if it does get too hot. Do you have an internal meshed door so you can leave the main door open? Mesh windows helps, I pin a piece of clear plastic over them in the winter to keep rain and wind out.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 pm

yeah Ive had this problem myself its been horrendous the heat here, so I removed all the hay etc from the boys cage and just put news paper in which they have enjoyed shredding but they seem to enjoy it its also easier to clean as paper just clumps together.

On of the lasses on here advised me to put a iced bottle of water for them to lay on which they enjoy licking the water partials off the bottle xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down