Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions!

5 posters

Go down

Questions! Empty Questions!

Post by Jodie Wed May 30, 2012 11:52 am

Hi all,

I may be bringing a foster bun home and have a few questions that never really came up with Harley.

What is warmer for a bunny living outside - straw or blankets?

Do rabbits cope well outside? This bun has been outdoors her whole life, and she's an angora cross breed (extreeemely fluffy Shocked)
I'm in Australia and iot probably doesn't really drop below 8 - 10 degrees.

What are the bunny friendly heat pads? I have seen a few people post about them when they've had sick buns. I could try to locate one of these for the cooler nights. Anyone know about these in Australia?

Should you ever clip Angora type bunnies or only during Summer or only if their fur is causing problems?

The reason for all the 'outdoor' questions is because I am living with someone else and can't have the bun set up inside like I did with Harley. She will be outside on the deck, although we do have patio blinds, meaning the entire deck is enclosed (no rain, no wind). But of course she will be brought inside with me whenever I am home. Smile

I will of course share photos when she arrives. She's extremely emaciated and matted and hasn't been treated well. Sad
Jodie
Jodie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Questions! Empty Re: Questions!

Post by Dotdot Wed May 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Ooh a foster bun how exciting!

What is warmer for a bunny living outside - straw or blankets?
Straw is a great insulator and is great to use in winter. But in summer hay will do the job. Not only does it encourage them to eat while they lay in bed, but they don't need so much insulation in the summer. Mine have a blanket in the bottom of their bed.

Do rabbits cope well outside? This bun has been outdoors her whole life, and she's an angora cross breed (extreeemely fluffy Shocked)
I'm in Australia and iot probably doesn't really drop below 8 - 10 degrees.

My two have been outside for nearly two years and they cope brilliantly. (They live in a shed) They've been through winter and temperatures down to minus 10 (which made them skitty and excitable Laughing) and summers of about 32 degrees.
What you must bare in mind is that in general rabbits cope better in the cold than in the heat especially if she is Angora.

What are the bunny friendly heat pads? I have seen a few people post about them when they've had sick buns. I could try to locate one of these for the cooler nights. Anyone know about these in Australia?
They are called snugglesafe heat pad. I wouldn't worry about using one until it gets really cold (as a rule I wait until it goes below 3 degrees) or they are ill and they can't maintain their body temperature.
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338377479&sr=8-1

Should you ever clip Angora type bunnies or only during Summer or only if their fur is causing problems?
Maysie at Tuckerbunnies can help you with this, I say this because gorgeous Angora girl Jess gets a good trim quite often. If she is matted I think? you should cut those out.

I will of course share photos when she arrives. She's extremely emaciated and matted and hasn't been treated well. Sad
I cannot wait to see photos. She sounds like she is so lucky to have finally found someone that has the love and patience to look after her Smile
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 2:08 pm

I agree with Dotdot.

I would add that with the temp not dropping that low you may want to avoid using 'bedding' at all. And during the hottest weather you may be wanting to think about adding a cool granite or marble tile to the hutch for the bun to lie on. As for trimming I would say definitely in the heat. It may well be worth talking to your local grooming parlour and see if they can fit you in first or last in the day as buying your own clippers with angora suitable attachments can be really expensive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed May 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Jodie Wave

I have nothing to add to what has already been said, but wanted to say hello Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu May 31, 2012 1:37 am

I think Dotdot has said it all Thumbs Up

We have an Angora rabbit and we trim her every 2-3 weeks sometimes longer . We trim her more in the Summer due to her long thick fur and to keep her cooler as it's awful for Angoras in Summer if they are not timmed. We also trim her in Winter but not as much and we don't take as much fur off her due to the cold nights.
You have to be careful when trimming them as their skin rips easily and becomes sore and red and so it can take you a good few hour's to gently tease the matts out and believe me they get lots of matts.

If you put Jess in the search on the forum there are lots of threads with her being trimmed, this is the last thread I did below

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t17447-poor-jess-it-s-that-time-yet-again?highlight=jess

I can't wait to see photos of your new Foster bun Bless her.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu May 31, 2012 3:12 am

Hi Jodie, I'm in Melbourne too!

Cold temperatures in Melbourne

Is she going to be inside during the night? If so, I wouldn't bother with heat pads.

But if she's going to be on the patio at night, I'd get one. I'm in the Western Suburbs and the temperature can drop from 10 degrees during the day down to zero overnight.

Also, if the foster bun has been living outside, then she should have built up a winter coat before coming to you and should definitely be OK during the day.

Heat Pads in Melbourne

If she hasn't been living outside, or is going to be outside overnight, definitely get a heat pad. I go to Pet Horse and Farm (http://www.pethorsefarm.com.au/). They're located at Essendon DFO and also some other place I've never heard of.

They sell excellent hay (I get oaten hay) as well as straw. The oaten hay is delicious, my two love it.

They also sell heat pads for dogs and cats, which can sometimes be used for bunnies.

By the way, you're lucky to have a place where Harley can be inside! I am looking to move out into the inner city and am finding it hard to find a place suitable for the buns.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodie Thu May 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Ahh you guys are all so awesome, thank you thank you thank you!!!

I will definitely share some photos.. she arrives tomorrow. Smile
Jodie
Jodie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down