Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

straw/hay from farms

3 posters

Go down

straw/hay from farms Empty straw/hay from farms

Post by dizzylynn Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:10 pm

How many members get hay or straw from your local farm, I started getting the timothy hay from my local farm, so far not had any bother with it, but was talking to lady in p@h today and she said she wont use that as its not been treated, only uses it from shop but she gets a big discount with her working there. So whats you views on this. I just got a bail of each today, came to £8 and will last a long time, I bought a tiny bag the other day of timothy hay as ran out of farm bail and it was £4 nearly finished already.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

straw/hay from farms Empty Re: straw/hay from farms

Post by Dotdot Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:55 pm

I get hay from local farms Smile
What did she mean it hasn't been treated? Isn't that we want? Something that hasn't been treated with chemicals?

I've been to three different ones. The first farm I went to I only went twice as they were really rude to me as if they didn't want my business. Their bales were £8 each.
I then went to another and their bales were pretty disgusting- they were dirty, had 30+ snail shells in and a squashed field mouse. Their bales were £6
The one I go to now farms hay especially for buns and they only cost £4

I'm impressed you got timothy hay from a farm! I've only managed to find meadow hay so far.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Farmer says its timothy and it looks it to me, has the same look to it, just in longer bits not cut into small cuts. This farmer is a gibber and happy for the custom, in a way buying from farms is helping there business as well, and saves me a complete fortune. Its nice and clean, check it before it goes in the container, both bails lovely and clean and dry. I can only assume she meant treated with stuff to stop nites etc.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Ah yeah that could be what she meant. To be honest I didn't realise pet shop hays were treated against mites etc.
I frequently check my hay for any bugs or mould- it's so lovely compared to the other cr** I've had!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:10 pm

I always find that bags get about half way down then its nothing but powder like left overs that the buns really cant eat, so the big bail means theres a plentyfull supply, lasted me about 7-8 months only ran out other day, but there was tones in the shed floor, but just binned all that incase I dropped any nails in it. It should last about 5 - 6 months between the 4 of them. Even if it doesnt last that long its not expensive. The straw will last longer as they dont need much till the winter for extra warmth, only put little drop in now its summer. Its only £3 a bail tho.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:23 pm

We use farm hay - it comes via our lovely local pet shop and we know they only accept it if it is good quality. We pay £4.50 a bale and get through about one every 3 / 4 weeks.

They also get in hay which has been cut from one of the local country parks. It's organic and full of dried wildflowers. It's lovely Love but at the minute it is in the big round bales and they're waiting until it has been sorted out into normal square bales. Then Humum is going to reserve half a dozen for us. They're more expensive... at £5 a bale Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Sparky wrote:We use farm hay - it comes via our lovely local pet shop and we know they only accept it if it is good quality. We pay £4.50 a bale and get through about one every 3 / 4 weeks.

They also get in hay which has been cut from one of the local country parks. It's organic and full of dried wildflowers. It's lovely Love but at the minute it is in the big round bales and they're waiting until it has been sorted out into normal square bales. Then Humum is going to reserve half a dozen for us. They're more expensive... at £5 a bale Laughing

Thats very expensive lol. How many buns does that last, I have 4. I dont mind doing it monthly still better than the tiny bails at about £4 - £6 that dont last long at all
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm

12 buns Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Lol, loads of buns then, times it by 3 n thats how long it should last me approx. I have 15 pets now, but the buns I would say need the most, I am happy to give them the best I can. What I save on hay goes to the better branded food, not the cheap rubbish few folks I know use.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down