Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bellas eyes seem to water alot

5 posters

Go down

bellas eyes seem to water alot Empty bellas eyes seem to water alot

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:06 pm

As you know bella is an albino, had her little over week now and noticed her eyes water alot, I have had to clean them every other day last 4 - 5 days, she was at the vet on Thursday and he said everything is fine no sign of anything wrong, could it just be due to her being an albino they water, and just a small thing I will have to do for her every few days to keep them clean. She drools when shes cuddling into you but think that could be with pleasure as shes purring her sweet little head off at same time. I tell you shes the easiest to handle bunny I have ever seen, I can put her on her back without a fight and she just lies there looking at me with those sweet little eyes, the vet even had her cradled like a baby rocking her gentle. I can give her the pinucur single handed easy as pie. even clean her eyes without a problem.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

bellas eyes seem to water alot Empty Re: bellas eyes seem to water alot

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Runny eyes can be a number of things , they could be super sensitive due to her being an albino,
Dental disease of the upper incisors, which can cause partial blockage of the tear duct,
Environmental pollution (perfume, hair spray, paint or cooking fumes, dust)
Diseases of the cornea, such as a corneal ulcer (the tears are produced to help lubricate the cornea in attempt to reduce the pain
Turning in of the eye lid (called Entropion), which can cause corneal irritation, Eyelashes can grow abnormally towards the cornea leading to irritation
Inflammatory disease of the tear duct or a conjunctivitis
If they are weeping all the time I'd get the vet to have another look as something is not right if you are cleaning them every 4-5 days.

Last edited by Tuckerbunnies on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Snuffie tends to get runny eyes only the vet has confirmed there is nothing wrong with his teeth or anything else, so we are lucky there. We just have to have a little eye bath most days.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:52 pm

He looked at her eyes, mouth, everything, it could be senstive will keep an eye on it and speak to him in tuesday, monday waiting in all day for delivery. Its clear like tears, just dry round the base corner of her eye nearest the nose after a few days if I leave them. Like sleep when you wake up 1st thing in morning. I will keep cleaning them twice day with cooled water see if there is improvement it maybe I am not doing it enough.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:01 pm

What litter do you have her on? If it's wood-shavings, I'd try changing her onto one of the paper-based litters. I normally recommend Megazorb to everyone but I'd avoid that with her too, as it can be a bit dusty. Carefresh is one that might be worth a try - we've never used it but somebody else on here might be able to say whether it is any good / dust-free Thumbs Up

ETA - is her nose perfectly dry?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:58 pm

I think its dry, shes drooling again cos am cuddling her, so hard to tell at this moment, when I brung her in to give her the pinicur it looked dry. Shes on wood based cat litter (not shavings) dont use shavings anymore, she has straw in her bed and hay on top of it to nibble as shes lying. Thats what they are all on.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:02 pm

ewww could she drool anymore, shes snuggled right into my neck and now its all wet lol
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 am

Two things come to mind. (and I think Maysie Hugs mentioned them)
Allergy to the hay. We use Yesterday's News unscented litter. Recycled newspaper pellets. Never had a problem with it other than now with such a big bunny we are going through it very fast and it isn't inexpensive. I cannot get accustomed to how much Thumper poops! And it is BIG poo! With our other buns(all Holland Mini Lops) the litter would last 5-6 days with daily scooping. With Thumper...he really needs it twice a day! COMPLETE change not just scooping. Not that it gets done that much....but it should. He wants it done that much!!!

The other thing is bright light. We bunny sat an albino bunny over Christmas Vacation for my son's 3rd grade teacher. Princess Love couldn't have bright lights. No sun at all. The fluorescent lights in our kitchen even bothered her! She was so sweet. I'm sure she has been at the Bridge a long time now. Sad

gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 am

Theres no direct sunlight getting in her house, but there is windows (removed the perspex and replaced with mesh to let air in) 1 on each side of door, she seems to be better today since I cleaned it last night when gave her the paste stuff. I will keep an eye on it.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:47 am

I hope she is better today love.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Spoke to vet when nipped in for worming tabs (for cats), had rudy with me at the time, he said as long as its clear then its nothing to worry about and its most likely sensitive eyes.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm

dizzylynn wrote:Spoke to vet when nipped in for worming tabs (for cats), had rudy with me at the time, he said as long as its clear then its nothing to worry about and its most likely sensitive eyes.

Oh that's good it's nothing serious then she is just sensitive to light Bless her she will have to be kept in the shade when she goes out in the garden on a sunny day we had to always keep Hope in the shade as she just souldn't cope with the light either.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:57 pm

I will have a closer look when bring her in for the wormer paste, hubby was out at her this morning, I was behind him looking in and it looked much better. If its worse now then its more likely sensitive to the light coming in the windows.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down