Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you put in treat balls?

+5
Amelia66
Dotdot
Ruffin
Sparky
Thumper2001
9 posters

Go down

What do you put in treat balls? Empty What do you put in treat balls?

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Well, since they pulled off all the inside of the hay tunnel, the novelty has worn off and Molly and Junior have started eating my house again. And it's constant Mad It's so frustrating because a few weeks back, they were so good!!

They're driving me spare. They have hay, the hay tunnel, cardboard, playsticks and willow sticks to chew but they don't want to chew any of that No

By way of distraction, I want to give them one of their treat balls, but I don't want to put pellets in them all the time. Any ideas what else I can put in them? I don't suppose their plantain or blackcurrant leaves will come out of it as well as the pellets.

I did consider breaking up fenugreek crunchies, but they very much associate them with bed time, and I don't want to mess that up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Smile

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added cardboard)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

What do you put in treat balls? Empty Re: What do you put in treat balls?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 pm

you could stuff toilet/kitchen rolls with hay and close in the ends and let them chew and throw those around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:54 pm

The only thing we've found that works well in treat balls is pellets Hmmm

Dried things just tend to either get stuck or come out as powder and make a mess without the buns getting the satisfaction of the noms.

We've tried the stuffed cardboard tubes thing, only for them to be completely ignored - do let us know if you find something that works as Gizmo takes a *lot* of entertaining Rolling Eyes
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 pm

[b]Pellets with a couple of valium stuck in the middle works a teat Very Happy
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 pm

My two also take a lot of entertaining and no matter how many toys, the story is the same. They chew what they aren't supposed to.
Normally they chew the willow ball as soon as I buy them one (strangely leaving only half both times confused) but this time they've completely ignored it.

Toilet tubes stuffed with hay are also ignored. If I sealed the ends there would be no chance of it getting played with.

With treat balls I've only ever put in pellets. I've given them breakfast via that instead of a bowl. I've never thought of anything else to put in there.
Have you ever found that the little door on the ball sometimes closes up so nothing comes out? You should see Tiggers face when that happens pale
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:13 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:you could stuff toilet/kitchen rolls with hay and close in the ends and let them chew and throw those around.
I did try this before and they were ignored just like Sparky said, but there's no harm in trying again Thumbs Up

Sparky wrote: The only thing we've found that works well in treat balls is pellets Hmmm

Dried things just tend to either get stuck or come out as powder and make a mess without the buns getting the satisfaction of the noms.

We've tried the stuffed cardboard tubes thing, only for them to be completely ignored - do let us know if you find something that works as Gizmo takes a *lot* of entertaining Rolling Eyes
I had a hunch that was going to be the general feeling!

I will definitely let you know if I find something that works Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Dotdot wrote:My two also take a lot of entertaining and no matter how many toys, the story is the same. They chew what they aren't supposed to.
Normally they chew the willow ball as soon as I buy them one (strangely leaving only half both times confused) but this time they've completely ignored it.

Toilet tubes stuffed with hay are also ignored. If I sealed the ends there would be no chance of it getting played with.

With treat balls I've only ever put in pellets. I've given them breakfast via that instead of a bowl. I've never thought of anything else to put in there.
Have you ever found that the little door on the ball sometimes closes up so nothing comes out? You should see Tiggers face when that happens pale
Laughing Our ones are the opposite! I'm sure Molly and/or Junior have figured out how to open them fully Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Only thing i have currently to keep Marshall entertained is one of these

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/hamster-food+cages/boredom-breaker-naturals-hyacinth-duo-tunnels-medium/invt/0314205/?htxt=q6xAVvISMiabOeorOzDljbiWB4PvhTiV7wJ0BSsV7%2FG9siz%2BsY3xExUs82hko1XGIzy%2B3vB1pfOG%0Axj%2FZIsbbaw%3D%3D

Although i swear it was cheaper than this Hmmm

He has the middle one and likes to have a nibble on it from the inside of the tunnel, the bigger one i gave to molly and marmalade and they have mauled theirs, but they love! they take turns sitting in it Laughing
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:14 pm

My 2 love the hyacinth tunnels as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:33 pm

I use Burgess apple snacks and ive also tried dehydrated carrot, chopped into little pieces Smile That seems to work well. Beapher do a packet of mixed apple and carrot, i found some in the Range. Other than that and pellets, i havent been able to find anything. The novelty doesnt last long with the treat balls though. My rabbits would be like footballs if i tried to occupy them with treatballs all teh time Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Even the valium Laughing

After a few days of ignoring it, the hay tunnel is interesting again Rolling Eyes

marleyNfriends wrote:I use Burgess apple snacks and ive also tried dehydrated carrot, chopped into little pieces Smile That seems to work well. Beapher do a packet of mixed apple and carrot, i found some in the Range. Other than that and pellets, i havent been able to find anything. The novelty doesnt last long with the treat balls though. My rabbits would be like footballs if i tried to occupy them with treatballs all teh time Laughing
Laughing It's surprising how long Molly and Junior will push it around with just a few pellets in it (when they haven't managed to open it fully Rolling Eyes) They push it down the back of the sofas, through the tunnel, everywhere! Laughing

I would just be happier if it had something other than pellets in it Hmmm
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Dotdot wrote:

Aw that's so sweet Love Nibbler is a bit daft sometimes, he can easily end up pushing round the ball when it's completely empty. I guess it's a good workout for him but he makes me feel sorry for him so I end up putting something in it.

I mainly use it for pellets but I get those carrot crunchie packs from p@h for him too sometimes, I've put veg in it before, worked well with celery chopped up small!
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodie Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:57 pm

I put Timothy treats in treat balls, and also dried apple pieces. But both Harley and now Willow love chewing, so Willow often entertains herself with apple branches and wooden throw toys.. So I only give the treat ball as more of a 'work-for-it-treat'.
Jodie
Jodie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:15 pm

I stuff theirs with timothy hay, I dont but treats from pet shops cos to many are full off additives.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Ours have 2 treat balls each, but seem to prefer the ball pit balls I bought on sale, just chuck few balls in their runs and huts, charlie loves them, he chucks them about when he's in a really playfull mood, pushes them all into the corner (about 5 - 7) then once all in position he jumps on them, they all go flying & he hops about with joy, when we 1st seen him doing it we were very confused at why he rounded them all up, till he jumped on them we couldnt breath for laughing. The other 2 just kick them about as they play with each other, charlies making his own fun, they watch him doing it too probs think he is off his trolley.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down