Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MY Hand Rear Wildies - HELP!

+4
SarahJane
KatieB
Sparky
Catsknickers
8 posters

Go down

MY Hand Rear Wildies - HELP! Empty MY Hand Rear Wildies - HELP!

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:12 am

So some of you may know I have been hand rearing this litter since they were first born as mum was killed by a dog. They were brought to us at the RSPCA and I don't think they had even had a feed from mum. The umbilical cords were still red etc. Anyway - my aim as with all wildies is to release them back to the wild once they are strong enough.

This hasn't been a problem in the past as they have always come to me at 2 weeks plus, and their instincts have been very strong. HOWEVER - these little guys are just not getting it. I have tried to back off with the contact and it is making them worse. The problem is, for anyone who has kept wildies, they are a nightmare. They are acrobats, houdinies, diggers, chewers, and all round body contortionists. There is nothing they can't do and their instincts to create havoc don't ever seem to fade no matter how tame they are. One wildie I had was seen on next doors shed roof! And my garden is bunny proof to my domestics.

So what do I do? I need to make a decision so I am not in a middle road, where I have backed off so much they aren't particularly tame, but they aren't savvy enough to be released.

I had a huge chat to one of our Inspectors the other night. Obviously we always treat wildlife differently and respect the animals wildness and try never to over handle etc. However with these babies things have been slightly different and this is the result.

Guys what should I do?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

MY Hand Rear Wildies - HELP! Empty Re: MY Hand Rear Wildies - HELP!

Post by Sparky Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am

Catsknickers wrote:HOWEVER - these little guys are just not getting it. I have tried to back off with the contact and it is making them worse.
I'm not sure I fully understand - making them worse in what way?

Are you saying you don't think they are wild enough to be released, but not domestic enough to be kept as 'normal' pet rabbits? That they could not survive well in the wild but would need a very special and secure home?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am

I think if you dont think they will survive in the wild then then I cant seeing you releasing them hun. I guess where they were soooo young when you got them they are very used to people.

I wish I could help hunni, but have no advice that I can give, other than you should go with your gut. You know these guys better than anyone else and therefore can only really know what is best for them.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 am

IT makes them want me more Sparky, if I back off from them. My set up is not conducive to keeping wildies really. When I move and have a garden it would be different and could make a purpose built enclosure for them. Argh I don't know what to do. I will try and get a video of them for you to show you what I mean.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:50 pm

It sounds like they need a set up which mimics what they would get in the wild, but not actually BE wild.

Maybe like some sort of large aviary where they can hide, dig , even burrow if they want to, but they can still have contact if they want it and also they are safe from predators.

its a very grey area because like you say, too wild to be domesticated, and too domesticated to be wild!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Just popped a vid up in photoshoots.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:52 pm

They have not been taught how to be a rabbit. I know it sounds strange, but even with our domestics if they are taken from the mother too early there are more behavioral problems. Rabbit society is very complex. Every bunny knows his or her place in the warren.

Is there a wild life sanctuary somewhere near you that has a warren of wildies? They are still young enough to learn from more mature rabbits. It was unfortunate that there was not a domestic doe that could have taken on nursing them.

A nice aviary would be perfect for them IF they were neutered/spayed otherwise you would have litters of inbred bunnies:( who won't know how to care for their young.

You have a difficult decision to make. I pray that you can find a sanctuary for them. Hugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:43 am

When are you moving? Soon?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:46 am

Personally I don't think the dilemma with wild rabbits is the same as a things like a caged hare or a fox on a lead or anything. I get re: ideally they should be wild but looking at the vids those babies are just like domestic rabbits - if they have a nice home and things to keep them occupied and a nice outdoor run where they can watch things and eat grass etc etc i am sure they will be very happy and although they won't get to be wild they will have a longer more comfortable life than their wild relatives.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as SJ, they need some kind of purpose built aviary or integration within a artificial colony at a wildlife rescue. Can the RSPCA not find out if anything suitable exists through their contacts? There must be some rescues who have come across this before and have a set-up to accommodate.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:34 am

Perhaps their is a need for a national wildie bunny rescue? It seems that it would gain support from the public since rabbits are the #3 pet in the UK. People love their rabbits there and preserving their genetic 'heritage' so to speak would be of value since they would be vaccinated and not fall prey to the genetically engineered viruses that have been released. The government needs to clean up their mess IMHO.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 pm

A friend of mine gave a home to a little wild bun who had lost her mother and she became a lovely little pet. AS she had been orphaned so young, there was no way she could go back in the wild so she has a loving home for life. She is a little cutie, fiesty but very cute.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down