Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hay,what to do? **ordered some and its just been delivered*

+4
Vince the bunny
Sparky
FluffSlave
fall3n-ang3l
8 posters

Go down

hay,what to do?  **ordered some and its just been delivered* Empty hay,what to do? **ordered some and its just been delivered*

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:53 pm

ive been looking at bales of hay and ive found some were that does them for £5.80 and ive just asked them if there ok for bunnies and they replied

:
The hay is straight from the field - it isn't medicated, and it hasn't been cleaned, so it may be a bit dusty.
While it's not meant for small animals, we do have customers who use it for small animals who haven't had any problems with it.

is bales of hay what you get from a farm like this,i dont know what to do

Last edited by fall3n-ang3l on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

hay,what to do?  **ordered some and its just been delivered* Empty Re: hay,what to do? **ordered some and its just been delivered*

Post by FluffSlave Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm not sure how much of a saving you make on this compared to your current hay, but for me I wouldn't go for it if the seller has openly admitted that it can contain dust. Willow and the other small furries eat farm hay and mine is dust free and of a very good quality. Are there any other farms near to you?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

hay,what to do?  **ordered some and its just been delivered* Empty Re: hay,what to do? **ordered some and its just been delivered*

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:26 pm

i get a big bag of hay from online,its the "animal dreams hay" and thats quite dusty but its nearly £10 more,so thats a huge amount saved
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I wish I could help you out but the place I get mine from is local sadly. Hay can be so pricey. How much more expensive is it in your local pet shops?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:19 pm

We get farm hay. The cut and content varies massively from very green and fine to quite thick and stalky. It's never 'dusty' as such, but our bale is kept in a wheelie bin so as Humum gets each handful out she gives it a good shake. At the end of the bale there are some fine remnants left in the bottom of the bin and they get tipped out onto the garden to be foraged in. It's nice to get different hay each time (we get through a bale in about 3 weeks) although we do get some Ings and some of the Vita Verde ones with dried bits in too.

Very occasionally we can get bales which have been cut from a local country park and are organic and full of dried wildflowers - we love this stuff Very Happy Very Happy

fall3n-ang3l, for £5.80 you might as well try a bale - if they really object you can use it as the bedding hay with the posh stuff on top for nomming Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:57 pm

I get mine from somerset for £7 per bale. It's not excessivly dusted and we keep it in wheelie bins too. I seem to get through 2 every 3 weeks. This is their main hay and they get this and fresh forage and the ocassional treat hay. I would try it for that price and as Sparky said, you can always top it with nicer hay if needed. My buns will eat any hay so I am lucky.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Willow's hay always varies as well. Sometimes it's really thin and leafy, and this cut we've just had is mega stalky and tough (her favourite type!).
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:43 pm

If the animal dreams straw is anything to go by, i dont think you have anythign to worry about with baled farm hay! Its a natural product and has been cut, baled and stored, you have to expect dust unless its been extracted, and even then - they hay is dusty.

I have used farm hay in teh past, quality varies because its natural, but the buns loved it and it wasnt a problem for us.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:46 am

ok,thanks ladies and sparky,i know the hay i get,isnt very good but i just use it for bedding,will give it a go,£10 difference is a huge amount,they do have ings and other hay too
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

well i ordered it yesterday and its just arrived,so there brilliant at delivery which i knew that anyway becouse i get my megazorb from them,the bale is huge compared to the other hay i get and even though its £10 cheaper it is a better quality even though iam not really expecting much for that,ive pulled some out and it doesnt seem to be dusty,gave some to the buns,they were sleeping and snowflake woke up,sniffing the air hay,what to do?  **ordered some and its just been delivered* 811805 they both went to the hay and started to munch on it,so its a huge hay,what to do?  **ordered some and its just been delivered* 497709 gave some to the piggies too and they ate some as well but they eat anything,so no suprise there

so very impressed with it,i think i will keep ordering it and order the megazorb too,to cut down the delivery cost
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Glad the hay has been a success Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SharminsMagic8 Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:23 pm

oh good, I'm glad they like it.
My Josie is pretty picky, likes just the top fuzzies of alfalfa hay and some thin hard crunchy pieces. I wish she'd eat more of it.
SharminsMagic8
SharminsMagic8
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:22 pm

SharminsMagic8 wrote:oh good, I'm glad they like it.
My Josie is pretty picky, likes just the top fuzzies of alfalfa hay and some thin hard crunchy pieces. I wish she'd eat more of it.

Have you tried he on Some other sorts? My daisy is a fussy monkey but we found one he loves in the end :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Ooh where did you order it from?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm

this is the place,VTB told everyone about it,as its the cheapest she has found megazorb

http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/horse-feed/hay/hay-per-bale.html
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down