Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On holiday..

5 posters

Go down

On holiday.. Empty On holiday..

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:44 pm

..we discovered the holiday park we were staying in had wild bunnies! There seemed to be quite a few different groups dotted around the place because the apartment areas were huge and we came across a lot of bunnies in different areas. Managed to snap some pictures, but unfortunately was stood quite a way away so quality is poor. Annoyingly walked straight past one that was about 3 foot away at one point and completely missed it so by the time I got the camera out it had run off Sad

Can you spot them??
On holiday.. Rabbit10

nomming
On holiday.. Rabbit11

hello!
On holiday.. Rabbit12

When walking out in the hills we also came across a group of horses

On holiday.. Horses10

Couldn't work out if they were wild horses or not, they looked as if they could have been branded but it could have just been markings. Never seen a wild horse before so have no idea about how they act, but they did seem quite wary of us. Safe to say the best thing about that holiday was the interesting animal life we came across (seagulls did start to get quite annoying though with their mockery towards the end of the stay!)
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

On holiday.. Empty Re: On holiday..

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 pm

awwwww very nice pics,were did you stay becouse it looks really nice
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Were you on exmoor? Those look like exmoor ponies. They are branded to show they are pure bred exmoors (the breed is rare) although there are calls now for that to be banned and to rely on micro-chipping. The ponies groups are managed - some foals are removed from the moor each year and sold on - to keep the groups at numbers that are in harmony with the grazing space of the moor. They are all owned but they live ferrally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Gosh, I'd love to see horses just living feral, how wonderful.

Love how you had your bunny fix even when you were away! Very Happy
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 pm

the horses belong to the wabbits they use them for a quick get away Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
great photo's Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Where I used to live was on the edge of Bodmin Moor. Before they put in the cattle grids all the livestock would come down into the villages occasionally. The sheep ould jump the hedges and walls and eat people's flowers. The cows pooed all over the road and the ponies would go through your rubbish on bin day. It is not very romantic when you are living it! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:55 am

We were staying at Butlins in Minehead. The bunnies have obviously learnt they can easily get food from there, like the numerous seagulls and ducks that were around! You could hear anytime someone gave the seagulls something to eat as there was this frenzy which occured at all hours of the day. We never saw what it was over but giving food seemed to make sense.

I have to admit I had to look on a map to see where Exmoor was Embarassed (it's safe to admit my geography is by far my least knowledgable area) and it looks like they could have very well been exmoor ponies. We had gone a little bit away from Minehead in to the moors when we saw them. Even though you describe how annoying it could be living near them, I do feel really happy that we did get to see feral ponies (now I know!), not something I ever thought I would see Smile
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm pretty sure they're Exmoor ponies (especially if they were on Exmoor!). The mealy markings (lighter shades) around the eyes and muzzle give it away, although sometimes the Dartmoor ponies can have this too - guess where they're found, though! Laughing

FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down