Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frustrating bunnies!

4 posters

Go down

Frustrating bunnies! Empty Frustrating bunnies!

Post by Sue_pawz Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:02 am

My bunnies refuse to stop peeing on their vet bed! They pee in their litter tray too, and don't pee anywhere else, only in their cage area. They seem to enjoy sitting in their own pee and soggy poop! And unless I grab the soggy poops before they are sat on, they get squished onto the floor, dry and set like cement! No They can only be removed by scraping with a wallpaper scraper!

Is there anything I can do? They don't pee on the floor without any form of cushion or bed there, it's only when I give them something soft. We have laminate flooring, so I don't want to leave them with nothing soft to sit on. If this is as good as it gets, then fine, I'll leave them to it. They aren't getting any problems from it - they are clean when they come for botty checks and jump on me for cuddles, it's just a bit minging!

And someone told me wabbits were clean animals Rolling Eyes
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Frustrating bunnies! Empty Re: Frustrating bunnies!

Post by Dotdot Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am

I'm having a similar problem!

Since my two came home from a month away, they're being very lazy regarding toilet training.
They will go in the toilets, but they are also going in their bed No
They seem to be going wherever there is hay and it is now pure laziness. Tigger's incontinence has gotten much better and I can tell that because the wee is placed in very strategic places time and time again!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:53 am

Do your buns have hay in their litter trays. My pair find the hay soft enough as litter to pee through it. Flo occasionally has accidents on their soft flooring but not often these days. Take the soft vetbed away for a few days and get them to use the hay then put it back in once they are using the litter area properly. Other wise put some litter under the vetbed. The urine should pass through the vetbed and soak into the litter keeping the buns dry. I sometimes use this approach with the piggies with the winter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 am

Yes, they have their hay in their litter tray - much to my disgust they won't eat it from anywhere else. No

The way their cage is, it's an enclosure in the corner on the room, with the vet bed direct on the laminate. I don't think it'd work putting litter under the vet bed, however, I've had a cunning idea, using large trays from the garden centre...
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm afraid I would suggest removing the things they wee on. Molly and Junior were weeing on the rug in my living room every single day. The only thing that got them using the litter tray 100% of the time was to chuck the rug out.

You could then get an off cut of carpet to put on top of the laminate and put pet blankets on top. This is what worked for us in the end Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Buns can be really funny. When we moved here the whole house had a horrid and worn green carpet throughout. The buns had not had carpet before but they didn't do anything to it so I fourked out for new carpet for their room as well as the main sitting room. They chewed the new carpet to pieces! Yet they are fairly good with their rugs so I don't know what it was about that new carpet that caused offence. Flo always pees like mad on fleece blankets. I don't know why. I just avoid using them. Sometimes you just have to think about other options.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 pm

This is the 2nd option - first it was some red fluffy dog beds.

Drawing board...
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:37 am

We like soft toilet paper. Perhaps they like something soft to their bums to do their business?
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down