Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have changed my mind.

+4
NickieM
fiver
SarahJane
KatieB
8 posters

Go down

I have changed my mind.  Empty I have changed my mind.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

I have emailed the RSPCA this evening to tell them I have decided not to adopt Murtle after all. My reasons are simple. I came home this evening to find Flo with a protruding third eyelid - a classic sign of real stress. And Bruce's spots are not getting any better. Flo can't even reach or see Bo and it is obviously causing her too much stress. I have explained my reasons to the RSPCA. I still think it could have really helped Flo having another doe in the set up but considering Bruce is 8 and Flo is apoplectic already I just don't think it is right to put them through the bonding process again. I am feeling sad as I am really in love with Murtle, but I have a responsibility to the buns I have first.

Back to top Go down

I have changed my mind.  Empty Re: I have changed my mind.

Post by KatieB Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Oh Hun, hope you are ok.

You are absolutely right - Bruce and Flo have to come first, you have done the right thing.

Sending love, I know this wouldn't have been an easy decision to make x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Echo what Katie said, sending hugs xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:15 pm

definately your bruce and flo must come first totally agree with katie x
Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm

A very brave decision and much better than being in the position I am now with two rabbits who absolutely hate each other and will NEVER EVER be friends!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 pm

I can't believe I am saying this having been planning on taking on another bun just yesterday, but I have been there Nickie. Give it time and things may change. I thought Bruce and Flo would never bond. They fought a lot for about 6 months of daily dates. And then something changed. I think there is a lot to be said for perseverance.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I won't give up on Barley even if they never bond because he's here now and is a wee sweetheart, but he is a troubled guy. He is a nervy wee thing but can be really aggressive too - probably because he is nervy and Sasha is very attached to me so it is difficult. I would love them to be company for each other because they do seem so fascinated with the other. Just need to knock those bunny heads together!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 pm

They really do sound very like Bruce and Flo but opposite sexes. Bruce had been with me for 3 years so was very attached. Flo has so much of the wildie about her, she is a complete stress head. I can't tell you what changed with them, all I know is that something did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:57 pm

I think you should always listen to your gut instincts. You may really want that bun but if you feel that deep down it is the wrong decision then you need to listen to that.
As people have said, your bunnies come first and although it is hard to turn another bun down when your heart is set on them you have to think of your own 2.

*hugs to you*
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 am

That must have been a difficult decision, but it definitely sounds like you've done what's best for your buns.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:31 pm

I can only echo what the others have said about how brave and generous of you it was to make the decision for Flo and Bruce's benefit, despite what you might have preferred to do Hugs

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I still think it could have really helped Flo having another doe in the set up
I'm not doubting what you say, but just curious - what benefit do you feel Flo would have got?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Flo is incredibly highly strung and Bruce does not help in any way. There have been time this year particularly when she has been really annoyed with his constant pestering her for sex. I have felt that she would be happier sharing this burden! Also Bruce gets quite bored at time and if Flo does not feel social he will amuse himself by running across in front of her to make her grunt, then he runs back again. He will spend ages repeating this. A casual visitor may not pick Bruce as the dominant bun here because Flo is so grumpy and noisy. However Bruce is very much top bun and it seems to make Flo more nervous sometimes. I feel that bringing in a bun who is really laid back might just make Flo feel a bit more secure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 pm

No doubt you have already considered everything I will say below, but it seems a real shame for Flo to not be able to have those long-term benefits. (And Bruce to have another wife-bun Wink )

How far away is the RSPCA centre? Would you consider giving Bruce 'n' Flo a while after Bo has left then perhaps take them to the centre to be introduced rather than bringing a bun into their territory? Just to see what their reaction would be in those circumstances to decide whether there would be any chance of a bond working, as much as anything.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:16 pm

It is always hard with Flo to judge just how stressed she is because she always seems stressed, but the issue with her third eyelid shows she has been really stressed now. Plus there is the issue with her feet and Bruce's spots both of which I did not know about when I started to plan taking on another bun. I have a feeling that it might take a while for Bruce to 100% recover. There have been no improvement in his spots so far. And I know Flo. I was expecting her to be savage on a first meet regardless of where it happens. I don't expect the RSPCA would allow Murtle home with us if they saw Flo in action anyway! Laughing

It is hard to explain how aggressive Flo can be if you have not seen it. I have tried to video her for you guys before but it is never sucessful as my camera mic struggles to pic up her low grunting noises. When you read the books that say 'aggression - growling, lunging, ears back, boxing, etc' Flo ticks all the boxes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Cheryl, you are one of the most sensible people I know so if you do not think it is right then your decision is the correct one Hugs

Naughty Bruce for pestering Flo, Vince sometimes has a 'go' at his girls but they just let him get on with it. I can see if Flo is quite highly strung, this could be very stressful for her.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down