Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squeaking when drinking

+2
fiver
Rachel&Nibbler
6 posters

Go down

Squeaking when drinking Empty Squeaking when drinking

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 am

This morning when Nibbler was drinking out of his bowl I noticed he was squeaking. Quite a lot. I've never heard him make this sound before so my automatic feeling is to jump to worry! Could it be a sign of possible dental issues for him to be making that sound? He's been chewing his run a lot since he's had it, not so much after he got used to it, but he now usually chews it in the morning because we've not given him his breakfast as quickly as he thinks we should! Though I think he's still trying to break out of it as there's a particular spot he likes to chew and even when the door is open he will sometimes run to the other side to try and chew through it. The pen is pet safe so there's no harm in anything coming off it, but I wondered if chewing it a lot could effect his teeth as it is metal at the end of the day? He's eating and pooping fine (although still not where he should be, yesterday he did literally no poos in his litter tray but right next to it, I'm forever moving his poo about HBWS ), I tried to look this morning to see if he was was dribbling at all and couldn't really see anything different. He's always had what looks like a slightly wet patch under his mouth, where his fluff does a little curl, but he's had plenty of checkups and it's never been a problem, he's always had good teeth.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Squeaking when drinking Empty Re: Squeaking when drinking

Post by fiver Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:17 pm

my flopsy often makes gulping sounds i think some buns are noisy eaters/drinkers like some people haha you should hear my youngest son Laughing Laughing Laughing
i don't think chewing the bars harms their teeth scratch

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 pm

I have two dental buns and neither of them squeak when drinking. How does his nose look?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:13 pm

He looks completely normal other than this squeaking that's started scratch
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Hmmmm I just don't know .... Is he active as normal ?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:48 pm

He was acting normally this morning (I wouldn't really describe him as an active bun but he jumped at his morning pellets and then flopped out) and happily munched on some parsley I gave him. I've had to go work but my OH is watching him and he's said he's been fine today. It is a bit odd! Thank you for putting my mind at rest that it's not necessarily a sign of dental problems, but I'll be keeping a close eye on him and will be asking him at what point he swallowed a dog toy...
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Willow sometimes does little slurpy/squeaky type noises when she drinks from her bowl, and her tummy gurgles too. I wouldn't worry at the moment if he is still fine in himself. It can just be their funny little ways!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Don't worry about it, Sasha does it too. It makes us laugh as it is a kind of polystyrene sound. The first time we noticed it we couldn't work out where it was coming from. She is absolutely in tip top health so it is just them gulping down the water.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am

Oh God we have loads that squeak and grunt when drinking and eating I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Nibbler could be biting the bars to say 'let me out' , it could be a sign of boredom or stress or he is trying to wear down his teeth.
Try giving him something like willow balls or a branch off an apple tree to nibble.

I would think it's mostly because he want's to come out of his pen and he's letting you know Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for the reassurance guys Smile think I jumped immediately to worry as I've never heard him make the squeak before!

Oh yes it's definitely a 'I want out' or 'I want food' (he ges nutty in the mornings when I give him his pellets and stops chewing on the bars as soon as I've given him his morning noms). I have given him plenty of things to try and keep him entertained but chewing on our furniture as opposed to his toys is much more entertaining for him! I think he just likes having the door open. The amount of times I've seen him chewing on the bars when I walk through the front door, I'll open the door to his pen and he'll turn around and flop out in his pen! Laughing
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down