Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Willow in a run - *UPDATE* RUN BIGGER THAN FIRST THOUGHT! :D

5 posters

Go down

Willow in a run - *UPDATE* RUN BIGGER THAN FIRST THOUGHT! :D Empty Willow in a run - *UPDATE* RUN BIGGER THAN FIRST THOUGHT! :D

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Well, it's official, Willow is going to have to become a prisoner behind bars (or in her eyes!). In actual fact, she's going to have to be shut in during the day and when I go to sleep at night.

She is continually peeing on my bed every day and it's got to the point where I can't take it. I'm 99% sure it's hormonal, but since she can't be spayed there's not a lot I can do but keep her off it. So tonight, we're ordering her a pen over 3ft wide and just under 6ft long (original post said 3ft x 3ft, my mistake and bad maths!), which she'll be in from 8am-5pm. She'll get to free range in the mornings for an hour, and all night when I'm in my room before I go to bed (between 10pm/11pm), yet I still feel terrible. No

But I need a new mattress and mum says she's not willing to buy one to get ruined. Plus the fact it's pretty minging that I keep coming home to find rabbit pee all over my bed.

I feel so mean, I think I'm going to need a LARGE stock of Fenugreek Crunchies!!

Last edited by FluffSlave on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Willow in a run - *UPDATE* RUN BIGGER THAN FIRST THOUGHT! :D Empty Re: Willow in a run - *UPDATE* RUN BIGGER THAN FIRST THOUGHT! :D

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Aw, try not to feel guilty, you've obviously been putting up with it for a while so it's not like you've not tried! At the end of the day it's not hygenic for you, and if you can't do anything to stop it you've got to make alternative arrangements to keep you both happy. She may be a grumpy bun for a while, but once she's used to it she'll be ok.

Nibbler was not happy at all when he went from free ranging in our old flat to a pen in this new flat, but he's getting used to it. Most days he'll happily retreat to his pen after having a run around and likes to chill out in there as it's now his space, and I (or his toys/fleece) get beaten up if I try and clean it up! Try not to worry, she'll be ok Smile
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Willow in a run - *UPDATE* RUN BIGGER THAN FIRST THOUGHT! :D Empty Re: Willow in a run - *UPDATE* RUN BIGGER THAN FIRST THOUGHT! :D

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks for the comforting words Rachel.

She's just such a big bun and I worry constantly about her having enough exercise. But at the end of the day, an hour each morning, the day sleeping and then free range time all night is still a wonderful life!

I get compliments everywhere we go about what a healthy weight she is, and I'm sure that's down to the fact she has unlimited exercise. I hope things don't change.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:24 pm

agree with the above,its not very hygienic at all,so untill you find another way,then this is the best for you both and you never know,her been cooped up,it might get her litter trained
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Does she always pee in the same place on your bed? Is she litter trained apart from that?

I'd be inclined to try putting a litter tray on the bed to see if she uses it instead of actually widdling on the bed. Or could you block her off from being able to get on the bed, but still allow her the run of the room?

3' x 3' is really not enough space for her to be in all day then all night, even if she would sleep for most of it.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:04 pm

totaly agree with racheal but sparky has a good idea too,
don't beat yourself up you've tried all that you can and she still will get free range, love and most important to buns fenugreek crunchies Very Happy

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Willow is litter trained completely - she never goes anywhere other than on the bed and I'm sure it's territorial, as it happens in bouts and then stops, and she does it whenever I wash the bedding. It is absolutely disgusting to be honest and being the clean freak I am I cannot cope with it anymore!

Sparky, we've tried blocking the bed with her outdoor run, and she is just simply jumping over it. Hence we're having to buy her a pen with a roof for indoors, so she can't jump out of that. I am stressed that she's not going to have enough space, but she will get free range time for an hour each morning and all evening (that's only on weekdays, on weekends she'll have the majority of the day out of there too if I'm home).

I've also invested in a plastic bed sheet to put on the bed so that she can still free range even if I can't be with her. I do not want to limit her exercise anymore than this.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm not happy about it, but it's the only solution, and unfortunately since she is in my bedroom space is limited and 3ft x 3ft is the biggest we can do at the moment.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Wait a minute! I just wacked in the dimensions to an inches to feet converter and it turns out that Willow's pen is almost SIX FEET LONG! Happy Dance I'm so much happier now. Not sure where on earth I got 3ft long from? scratch Or where the hell it's going to go, but at least bun will have more space now! Happy Dance
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Have you tried the plastic bedsheet over the bed yet. If you tuck it in well it could be enough to completely sort the problem.

Not wanting to be a complete naysayer but I also want to put a consideration in your head. If this is a hormonal problem then even if something like a plastic sheet work she is likely to find another place to mark, even if you confine her. I am wondering, if needs must, whether you would have space for her outside. Again stressing not wanting to say this will happen, but merely placing a seed of a thought for the worst case scenario in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Cheryl, the sheet was ordered tonight so I will have to try it before I know. Unfortunately mum is not budging on the "I'm not buying a new mattress unless you stop her from getting on the bed", plastic sheet or not.

I understand what you're saying and ideally I'd love for her to have an outdoor life with a friend anyway. However, we live in a town house with a pathetic excuse for a garden as it is. With three jack russells who I wouldn't dream of letting near her also. If she was to move outside I'd want a shed and run set up for her, and this just wouldn't be practical for the reasons stated above.

We'll have to see what happens.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 pm

6' x 3' is much better Very Happy Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks Sparky. I wacked it into a converter and the relief washed over me! I don't have a clue where I got 3ft x 3ft from. Asked mum earlier... "The run is definitely 6ft x 3ft isn't it?" and she said yes, I explained to her that I thought it was 3ft x 3ft and she said of course not, I would never have allowed that! Now we all know why it took me four attempts to get a Maths GCSE Embarassed Laughing

I will try and get a pic of it when it's here for everyone to see. Not going to overfill it, will just be her litter box, a hidey bed that she has and a tunnel or two. Plenty of room to run around still Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

FluffSlave wrote:Thanks Sparky. I wacked it into a converter and the relief washed over me! I don't have a clue where I got 3ft x 3ft from. Asked mum earlier... "The run is definitely 6ft x 3ft isn't it?" and she said yes, I explained to her that I thought it was 3ft x 3ft and she said of course not, I would never have allowed that! Now we all know why it took me four attempts to get a Maths GCSE Embarassed Laughing

I will try and get a pic of it when it's here for everyone to see. Not going to overfill it, will just be her litter box, a hidey bed that she has and a tunnel or two. Plenty of room to run around still Thumbs Up

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL you been on me trammies Razz

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Maybe so Rob, maybe so ROFL
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down