Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many words do your buns respond to?

+14
Vince the bunny
FluffSlave
SarahJane
Rachel&Nibbler
Sue_pawz
gentl
Zo
KatieB
fiver
iiisecondcreep
Thumper2001
Sparky
dizzylynn
Sixer
18 posters

Go down

How many words do your buns respond to? Empty How many words do your buns respond to?

Post by Sixer Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:53 pm

This is prompted by my visit to the vets last week. The vet (who has a rabbit) was surprised when I said I wouldn't be changing Spring's name as she responds to it. I was quite taken aback that she thought that Spring wouldn't Shocked

All of the six here recognise their own names, they certainly recognise 'tea' and 'sweeties' too.

BJ and Rosie know that 'out' means they are going to be picked up to go out in the big run, this prompts them to hide away somewhere Rolling Eyes BJ also recognises 'back up' - I use this when I want him to go back up on to the decking via the steps when he has carried out a mini-escape onto the lawn.

Gabriel responds to 'up' when I want to pick him up and also 'good boy'. I am not sure that he responds to 'Come back you little so-and-so (or words to that effect when I am chasing him round the garden' Rolling Eyes

Of course none of them need to recognise 'no' as they never do anything wrong Laughing

How many words do your buns recognise?
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

How many words do your buns respond to? Empty Re: How many words do your buns respond to?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Flo recognises all the variations of her name - Flo, Florence, Florrie, Flobert. Bruce recognises his names as well, and that if Flo is being called then there may be a treat in it for him also. They also understand 'in' as direction to go back into the house from the garden. And 'treat'.

Back to top Go down

How many words do your buns respond to? Empty Re: How many words do your buns respond to?

Post by dizzylynn Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:06 pm

I think charlie & bella know their names but rosie & smokey dont seem to care.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:11 pm

We probably hear 'no' more than any other word Embarassed

Gizmo responds to it by binkying away looking pleased with himself.

Layla responds to it by freezing because if she doesn't move then nobody can see her.

I respond to it by gazing innocently skywards with my eyes widened and waiting for Humum to look elsewhere.

Poppy actually responds to it by stopping what she is doing - in fact when she is about to do something she is not allowed to, she pauses and waits to be told 'no' Laughing

Jack responds to 'JackJack', especially when it has been preceded by the noise of the treat tub lid.

Rosie will come running for 'Rooroo' - in fact she'll go through the tunnel at 100mph for 'Rooroo', just in case there is a 'nana chip involved.

Most of the others pretty well ignore the humans and don't respond to much other than the rattle of the food bowl.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Molly and Junior are pretty good Very Happy

They both know their own name and I'm pretty sure they know each others because when I call one, the other often looks at the one I'm calling on. It's so cute!!

Junior also responds to "little boy", that's what I called him when he didn't have a name and it kinda stuck Embarassed

They both know "bedtime" means it's time to go back upstairs to their pen. I say it then open the living room door and they run up. Molly goes up every time but Junior tends to ignore me now and again, but I know he knows Suspect

I'm beginning to wonder if Molly knows her right from her left Shocked When we are going upstairs, she does occasionally veer right to our bedroom and I say "left Molly" and she goes left into their bedroom Shocked Laughing

They both know "noms" hay" "crunchies" "tea time" "up" and "down". Down is often a command that is ignored!! I only trained them "up" so I could train them "down" to stop them (Molly) climbing on visitors Laughing

They also know that "bum in" means "get your fuzzy butt in the litter tray and stop eating hay from the outside" and they follow the command in the pen but we're struggling with it a bit when they're out and about in the house.

I would love to train them more commands because they've responded really well but I'm out of ideas Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

how about some free jumping or clicker training?

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:41 pm

We've tried jumping, it didn't go well Laughing Admittedly, it was a half assed effort on my part!

If I'm honest, I don't fully understand what clicker training is all about, but I do intend to look it up Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:31 pm

Sparky wrote:We probably hear 'no' more than any other word Embarassed

Laughing This is what Temperance does! Except its usually on the 5th or 6th 'NO!' because on the first 4/5 she stops, looks up, waits a second then continues doing whatever it was.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 pm

mine don't need words all they need to hear is the fridge door or a rustling bag Laughing Laughing
but they seem to know their names and the word nug nugs no suprises there Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Mine all know their names, C&A know bed time and tea time. Daisy knows "out" and "nuggies". He also understands "no" although chooses to ignore it most of the time. The reason I didn't change Daisy's name was because I felt he knew his name.

With C&A I only changed their names because the never got spoken t enough to know the names the rescue has given them and no one knew their names before that.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Hector knows his name, if I can't see him and I call him he comes to me! He also knows NO, and seems to understand to not do whatever it is he's thinking of doing when I give him a certain look Laughing

Not words but he definitely knows that me getting out of bed means breakfast time, I don't feed him at the same time each day because I'm never up at the same time. He also follows me around my room, I'm still not used to this so I'm constantly almost stepping on him or tripping over him Rolling Eyes
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 am

All of the buns I have had knew a number of words/phrases including their names,Mommy, Daddy, up, down, carrot, appie(apple), noms, food, brekkie(breakfast), din din, bed or bedtime. Trooper, our first bun, also knew all our proper names(including the heggies) and would 'go wake up_____' when asked, chocolate, cake. Lady knew the word 'vet' and would go hide. Our precious Thumper would go look for my friend Karen(the friend that died several weeks before him) if he heard her name. It was sad.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 am

Precisely none.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Sue_pawz wrote:Precisely none.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I bet they know them.......they just choose to ignore you! Laughing
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Sparky wrote:We probably hear 'no' more than any other word Embarassed

Layla responds to it by freezing because if she doesn't move then nobody can see her.

I respond to it by gazing innocently skywards with my eyes widened and waiting for Humum to look elsewhere.

Poppy actually responds to it by stopping what she is doing - in fact when she is about to do something she is not allowed to, she pauses and waits to be told 'no' Laughing

ROFL Nibbler used to do what Poppy does, though the pause was more to see if we were watching and if he'd get away with it. He'd still do whatever it was he was going to do if we said no then run off happily. I love the cheekiness Smile Layla's response actually had me in stitches ROFL

Katieb wrote:
Sue_pawz wrote:Precisely none.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I bet they know them.......they just choose to ignore you! Laughing

Laughing Laughing I think this is what Nibbler does, I know he knows as he responds to my OH but ignores me. I think he knows he can give me that cute look and he'd get away with murder!
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 pm

I changed Pebble's name because the RSPCA renamed her anyway and she had only been there a month, but she soon got to know she was "Pebbles".

Jelly responds to "Jelly" and also "Beastie" ....it started off as a bit of a joke but if I say it she comes running Laughing she is my little Beastie.

Domino knows his name too, or Dommy!

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm

They understand where the food and treats come from, but do not respond to words or anything.

As an aside, sort of related to this, my brother's dog will answer to both Tyler and stinky! This is down to him liking sleeping on the muck heap as a puppy when they went to stay at the mother in law's farm!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Oh gosh, where to start with all that Willow knows. She knows plenty, but chooses to ignore just about any that don't suit her preference at that particular time Laughing

She knows her name and all the variations of it... Wills, Wilber, Woggy, Woggly Bear Shocked Oh dear, how did I get half of those from "Willow?".

She knows "noms" and "veggies", "up" (for the bed and just to go up into a periscope) and "go binky!" with a tap on the bum drives her barmy Laughing

She also knows "no" and "WILLOW DON'T YOU DARE!", both of which she responds to by ignoring me and binkying off like a mad thing looking pleased with herself Rolling Eyes
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm

My rexes surprised me with what they had learnt without me actually realising I had 'trained 'them. Boo is by far the brightest and the girls follow him. They will respond to 'this way!' and will dart up and down the tunnel depending on where I am and when they used to free range the garden, I used to say 'back in' and they would leg it back to the playhouse (i always give them a food reward for this as it is very useful if one goes of wandering and I cannot find them). They surprised me the other week though, Hermione was sat at the wrong end of the tunnel and I was calling her and she didn't respond. On closer inspection it was Easter so I called out Easter and she went down the tunel! May have been coincidence, but it made me chuckle.

Vince and the girls don't really respond to words, more gestures and actions. They speak 'bunny' to me, quite a lot, which usually translates into insults towards me Laughing

Tilly is learning, I am still learning her ways and she is learning my ways Thumbs Up
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:06 pm

3 out of 5 seem to know the following-
veggies...food time

crunchies...come running up to the back door from the shed to get a pellet or a crunchy

outside...get out of the kitchen/ living room and go outside (only Benji & Purdy come inside)

Bedtime...sends them running to the shed in anticipation for night time veggies, before being shut away for the night
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Binky Boo seems to know his name, his ears twitch when we call him but he usually decides to ignore us LOL.

Hugs

Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:50 pm

[b]All ours no there names and all the variations including ones I cant put on here Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Ha ha Ruffin, we have some of those too!!

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Mine know their names and know lots of swear words usually associated with them having eaten my plants, wallpaper, carpet etc.

They do understand 'No', but treat it and me with utter disdain. Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down