Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training to respond to his name

4 posters

Go down

Training to respond to his name Empty Training to respond to his name

Post by Jay Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am

I've resisted training Berts to do anything other that use the litter tray (and that hasn't been massively successful Laughing ) simply because I never saw a need and didn't want to have a control over him, didn't feel right. As he's gonna be on meds for the rest of his life, I have to now go through a twice daily game of catch the bunneh, not easy whan your bun is free roaming Hissy It's quite stressful and he's so blooming clever that he knows exactly when I have the syringe in my pocket and legs it, rather than lets me stroke him.

So I'm trying a new approach, and training him to come when called. We're on day 2 and it's going very very well, not only that but he seems to be loving our little training sessions. We have 1/2 an hour in the morning and 1/2 an hour in the evening, both during what would be meal times. I have a small handful of museli (his treat food) and some broken SS pellets, sit and one end of the room, shout 'Bertie' and he legs it over, I open my hand, he takes one thing, I close my hand up and move to the other end of the room. When he's stopped eating, I repeat it. After a couple of times he starts binkying over to me, gets really excited and we carry on like that for a bit, then I alternate between giving him food and giving him nose rubs, and he's just as happy with the rubs. After 1/2 an hour he gets his meal Smile

I got him to run to his room last night by statnding at the end of the corridor and calling him from the lounge, the look on his face as he was hopping down the corridor towards the treats was pricelss albino

Anyone got any tips or other methods to try?

Last edited by Jay on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spells)
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Training to respond to his name Empty Re: Training to respond to his name

Post by Sixer Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:11 am

Aw, bless him. Sounds like you are doing all the right things Very Happy

All my six respond to their names (called out in very enthusiastic fashion Embarassed ) as it is generally linked to approaching 'tea' or 'sweeties'! BJ in particular gets really giddy when his name is called Love It is flattering to think they are pleased to see me but I know it is really the spring greens Laughing and even more so the sweeties.

Bertie is such a smartie Very Happy I hope this helps you on the medicine front. I can relate to catching a free ranging bunny with loads of hiding places. Bunnies are so quick to spot when you want them for unpleasantries!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:10 am

Jelly and Domino come when theyre called, Peanut did too, but pebbles never has. she knows her name as she looks round but she doesnt come over!

I use a pet clicker, not in the usual way. I dont "reward" them with a click if they are good like you do with a dog, i just click it as i say their names so they know to come to me, as its a very distinctive sound, similar to shaking a bowl of treats etc.

Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:13 pm

MissySJ wrote:Jelly and Domino come when theyre called, Peanut did too, but pebbles never has. she knows her name as she looks round but she doesnt come over!

I use a pet clicker, not in the usual way. I dont "reward" them with a click if they are good like you do with a dog, i just click it as i say their names so they know to come to me, as its a very distinctive sound, similar to shaking a bowl of treats etc.

Smile

What a great idea.connie responds to her name but briony not really bothered unless i've got food Laughing
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 am

Clickers are quite popular, my bunny behaviourist buddy uses them. She wants to train Bertie to do a few things, but I wouldn't let her, I just don't want an animal that sits when you say sit etc. It's not my style.

That said, the name training is going very well, I have gone from chasing (mildly) him round the lounge at nighttime to calling him from his room and he hops down there Smile

He's not responding every time yet, but it won't be long I think Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content