Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sneezing? U/D been to vets

+7
fiver
jag
JoeyBunsMum
Tuckerbunnies
gentl
Thumper2001
Zo
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

sneezing? U/D been to vets Empty sneezing? U/D been to vets

Post by Zo Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Hector seems to keep sneezing, it's not happening loads and other than his eyes being a little crusty (they've been like that since I got him) he's fine, it happens maybe once or twice a week? Earlier he had like a little sneezing fit, is it anything to worry about?

Last edited by Zo on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

sneezing? U/D been to vets Empty Re: sneezing? U/D been to vets

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 pm

It can be something you should get checked out, but not always. Molly and Junior (particularly Junior!) sometimes sneeze when they're foraging around in their litter tray because the hay has tickled their nose!

When is hector doing it? Is it just randomly?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Sometimes it's when he's got his nose in his hay, when he had the sneezing fit earlier he was just sat next to his litter tray (whic does have hay in it)
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:24 am

Sometimes hay may have a lot of dust or even some mold spores. Does the hay smell fresh and sweet? Make sure you buy hay that has little dust. He may need to see the vet just to rule out anything.

Hugs to you and a nose rub for your little man!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:59 am

Yes sometimes the dust from the hay can make them sneeze but if Hector keeps sneezing I would let the vet check him out as it could be an allergic reaction to something or even an upper respiratory infection but if he is sneezing just now and then and he's in his hay when he does sneeze it could very well be the dust in the hay.

When you say his eyes are a little crusty just keep your eye on him as a crusty form on the eye can be a sign of a discharge.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:32 am

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Yes sometimes the dust from the hay can make them sneeze but if Hector keeps sneezing I would let the vet check him out as it could be an allergic reaction to something or even an upper respiratory infection but if he is sneezing just now and then and he's in his hay when he does sneeze it could very well be the dust in the hay.

When you say his eyes are a little crusty just keep your eye on him as a crusty form on the eye can be a sign of a discharge.

Agree with Maysie's advice. It might also be an idea to check if his nose looks like it's running / wet.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jag Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 am

Hi

firstly what a lovely bun i have one very similar to yours a opal mini lop shes 12 weeks old and beautiful, its sounds like dust from hay and straw i have brought some dust free hay because to be honest the hay was making me sneeze when i pulled it from the bag and you can see the dust flying out ...hope the buns ok : )

kind regards

jag
Banned

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:52 am

jag wrote:Hi

firstly what a lovely bun i have one very similar to yours a opal mini lop shes 12 weeks old and beautiful, its sounds like dust from hay and straw i have brought some dust free hay because to be honest the hay was making me sneeze when i pulled it from the bag and you can see the dust flying out ...hope the buns ok : )

kind regards
i agree i get sneezy sometimes with thelr hay Thumbs Up
i would keep an eye on him though and check with vet if it continues as maysie said. Very Happy

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I think I'll pop him to the vet on tuesday (am at uni 9-8 tomorrow) because he's nose seems a little runny (that or he's got water on it) better safe than sorry Smile
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Yes sometimes the dust from the hay can make them sneeze but if Hector keeps sneezing I would let the vet check him out as it could be an allergic reaction to something or even an upper respiratory infection but if he is sneezing just now and then and he's in his hay when he does sneeze it could very well be the dust in the hay.

The crusty bits are like sleepy dust for humans, that sort of texture, he's had them ever since I got him which led me to believe it was the hay, he lets me clean them, and he's very well in himself but I will take him to the vets just in case!
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 am

Zo wrote:I think I'll pop him to the vet on tuesday (am at uni 9-8 tomorrow) because he's nose seems a little runny (that or he's got water on it) better safe than sorry Smile
definately better to check it keep us posted,mega vibes for the gorgeous hector Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Oh do let us know how it goes!

Mega vibes for the little angel, and hugs for his mummy! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks Smile He's booked in at 5:30 today, he did his first naughty last night and managed to open the box where I keep his bits and pieces, take the nail clippers, and chew the rubber handles to pieces, so I'm also going to ask them to check his tummy is ok
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm

The vet thinks the runny nose is his eyes weeping and it making his nose wet, I have some ointment for his eyes because he said they looked a little sore, but it's likely just caused by dust from the hay or something like that
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Zo wrote:The vet thinks the runny nose is his eyes weeping and it making his nose wet, I have some ointment for his eyes because he said they looked a little sore, but it's likely just caused by dust from the hay or something like that

Did he check Hector's teeth at all ?

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Yes, checked his teeth, looked in his nose as well as he could, checked his eyes and took his temperature (that didn't go down too well Laughing )
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Zo wrote:Yes, checked his teeth, looked in his nose as well as he could, checked his eyes and took his temperature (that didn't go down too well Laughing )

Did he check his molars with an ottoscope?

We had a little minilop (Tiny Tim) at college today with weepy eyes and wet paws. They said he just has conjunctivitis and that they are putting drops in. I really hate that unit sometimes, id put money on him having dental problems, hes got such a squished face. He didnt look happy Sad
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 pm

He didn't put anything in his mouth, just opened it and had a look in
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm

You need to use an otoscope (one of those thing you use to look in ears and mouth at the drs). Otherwise you will not know what is going on with the molars. Snub nosed buns like Hector are really prone to teeth problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Zo wrote:He didn't put anything in his mouth, just opened it and had a look in
As Cheryl said, you need them to get a decent look at the back teeth. Im obsessed with bunny teeth, as Dolly lost so much weight and needed a dental, but had no other symptoms and i didnt realise. Both my bunnies are "snub nosed", as Cheryl said Laughing I prefer to call them squishey faces! Sadly because they are bred for looks, their flat faces means there is less space in the jaw for the teeth to fit properly and they can really suffer as a result. 6 monthly health checks are important for all buns, but especially for ones with flat faces and even more often than that if necessary.

Having said that, i have heard that those who come from "decent" show breeders rarely have as many dental problems because they are more careful nowadays...how true it is, i dont know!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Hmm well he felt along his jaw, and looked in his mouth several times, he's only 13 weeks could he get teeth problems already? He is eating fine
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:52 pm

It probably isn't his teeth - Bruce sneezes all the time after eating hay or drinking water. But then again I am convinced he has very mild but permanent pasturella. I think what we are trying to impress on you is the correct way these things should be done. It is common practice if a rabbit turns up with almost any problem to check their teeth. It does no harm and could head off big problems. Some buns, like Bruce, stop eating immediately on getting tooth issues. Others manage to keep chomping despite the spurs cutting their tongue to ribbons. The truth of the matter is that most common problems in buns have a link to teeth. So every time you go to the vet ask them to check Hector's teeth. Make sure you know they are doing it properly - and if they don't get out the otoscope they are not doing it properly. Ask the receptionist if there is a vet with a specific rabbit interest and if there is make sure you ask for them when you book. If you are not getting that sort of service then look around for another vet. Teeth problems can strike at any age. If Hector has a misaligned jaw - again like Bruce - he can have the best diet possible and still get problems. Bruce had 4 dental in one year at one point. I have manage to get this down by increasing his access to grazing time, but even so I cannot get rid of the need for dentals completely as his jaw does not meet properly and therefore he cannot wear his teeth properly. Even the most careful breeder will not be able to completely breed this out in these short nosed rabbits.

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 pm

sneezing? U/D been to vets Hectorgetwell_zps5f5fffd9

Hope he id OK soon! Hugs for you. You are a good Bunny Mommy!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Ok Cheryl, thanks for clearing that up Smile there is a bun savvy vet there who I usually see, I will make sure I request him from now on. And I will make sure the next time his teeth are checked they use an otoscope.
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 pm

& thank you Holly, hope you are holding up ok after losing Thumper and your health things Hugs
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next