Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbit Nutrition - Need a bit of help with college assignmen

5 posters

Go down

Rabbit Nutrition - Need a bit of help with college assignmen Empty Rabbit Nutrition - Need a bit of help with college assignmen

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:19 pm

I have to talk about the nutritional requirements of rabbits, i have talked about their nutritional requirements and a balanced diet etc, with hay being the most important blah blah blah...

It says i have to comment on digestibility and palatability. I think i have covered digestibility, but im struggling with palatability. How are rabbit foods made more palatable?? scratch Im struggling, because apart from their pellets, their food is all natural products. How are pellets made palatable? Is it the added flavours? ie the fenugreek flavour in Science Selective.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Nutrition - Need a bit of help with college assignmen Empty Re: Rabbit Nutrition - Need a bit of help with college assignmen

Post by fiver Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:22 pm

rump steak is good Laughing Laughing Laughing
but seriously does this help Smile
http://www.thebrc.org/diet.htm

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Nutrition - Need a bit of help with college assignmen Empty Re: Rabbit Nutrition - Need a bit of help with college assignmen

Post by Sparky Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:22 pm

I'd actually make the point that a lot of the foods which domestic rabbits find quite palatable and would eat non-stop are exactly the things they should not be eating a lot of - fruits, sweetened treats, carrots etc.

Who can define what is acceptable to a rabbit's palate? You'd think hay would be pretty bland but there is enough of a trigger for most rabbits to eat a lot of it.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Well I think that we all know that fenugreek is palatable. Remember that you are thinking about diet generally not just pellets. So providing several different veg and herbs to give variety gives more interest in the food and make it more palatable. And a good smell make the food more exciting as well. Obviously in the wild bun eat a bit of this then a bit of that - if you watch mine in the garden you see them eating a bit of fuschia then a bit of rose then a bit of lemon balm then some lush grass and clover followed by some poor grass. So it is more natural to feed a rabbit variety. Rabbits also seek out different textures in their food to help wear their teeth. Palatability for rabbits is more than just taste.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks Cheryl. What would you say about digestibility of food? I have talked about the caecum and how they are corprophagic to help explain why fibre is so important. Ive talked about excess sugar, starch and carbs and mentioned enterotoxemia (sp?). I know that information is right, but i dont think it is right in terms of digestibility of food.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Have you checked out http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html ? it contains some good info on why you should not feed rabbits seeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 am

Hays vary in taste and texture. First cut hays have longer fibers and are sweeter to the taste. Rabbits usually prefer this 'first cut' of the season. Have you ever chewed a bit on the end of a hay stem? The different varieties taste quite differently. Try them. I always try a stem or two every new bag of hay we get just to make sure it hasn't soured. And no, I don't swallow the hay. Very Happy

Rabbit food pyramid. http://www.reddoorshelter.org/rabbit_foodpyramid.pdf

This is good too: http://3bunnies.org/feeding.htm
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 am

Thanks Holly. Ive never tried the buns hay but i used to chew the haylage (sp?) when we had horses Embarassed ...It was quite sweet though Laughing

Ive checked out the links, some are really helpful. I got the bunny part finished last night, ive included my own version of the food pyramid. Its supposed to be a poster/fact sheet, which i hate doing because i always feel i cant put enough detail in.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 am

I read somewhere that rabbits like strong flavours so that might give you a line to follow.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down