Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learned 2 New(to me) Rabbit Nutrition Facts Today

+4
Sue_pawz
fall3n-ang3l
icedancer
gentl
8 posters

Go down

Learned 2 New(to me) Rabbit Nutrition Facts Today Empty Learned 2 New(to me) Rabbit Nutrition Facts Today

Post by gentl Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 pm

I was doing some nutritional research on our delightful fluff-heads today and I found
2 facts that I didn't know so I thought I'd share. Y'all may know them, but here goes:

We know that iceberg lettuce is bad for our bunnies because it causes diarrhea. Interestingly
it seems ALL lettuces have a chemical called lactucarium, which is a depressant and
is known to cause diarrhea. The darker the leaf the more the nutrients. We should limit
even the leaf lettuces.

Question to those of you that are feeding 'Spring mix' to your UK bunnies. What greens
does your Spring mix have in it there? Here in the States I know it's different. Could too
many lettuces in your Spring mix(if it has any) be the cause of the dirty bottoms?

Second fact I learned was about celery. Never feed a intact stalk to your bunny. Always
cut horizontally through the stalk ever 3cm or so. The long veins can ball up in the GI
tract and cause digestive problems.

Enjoy the lovely weather! Spring has sprung and so have the bunnies!

~holly~
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Learned 2 New(to me) Rabbit Nutrition Facts Today Empty Re: Learned 2 New(to me) Rabbit Nutrition Facts Today

Post by icedancer Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 am

With celery too, I only learnt this a few weeks ago, the stringy bits can get stuck in their teeth and cause teeth problems, which is another reason why you should cut it up little.

It's fascinating once you get into it isn't it
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Learned 2 New(to me) Rabbit Nutrition Facts Today Empty Re: Learned 2 New(to me) Rabbit Nutrition Facts Today

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:13 am

There is a wonderful herb called celery leaf which hs all the yummy benefits of celery but none of the strings - ie is is all leaf and no stalk. I try to accquire celery plants for my buns and grow them in the garden borders as both they and the piggys like the leaves. And it puts them off the other plants.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 am

And when we refer to greens we mean young leafy cabbages or specific long leaved non-balling cabbages. The advice not to feed any lettuce is quite well known in this country as Beatric Potter has a significant influence on our childhood reading and she noted in the tale of Peter Rabbit the soporific effect (sleepiness) lettuce had on rabbits and that it gave poorly tummies. Apart from a small amount of cabbage greens I tend to feed rocket and herbs really.

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 am

also knew about the celery,always chop it up as ive heard the stringy bits can choke the piggies,will look out for that herb Cheryl Thumbs Up
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks - didn't know about the celery thing. Will tell OH as well for when she is on feeding duty.

Mine adore rocket, and if you were to see them on baby spinach... it's like crack cocaine for bunnies or something!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

I've never given mine celery, simply because I ALWAYS choke on the strings and when my friend gave her guinea pig a bit, she noticed it was choking so she had to pull it out of her mouth/throat pale

I'm going to have to look for celery leaf.

I feed Spring greens. (Which I had never heard of til I had bunnies and even then I thought it was a mix but it isn't) It's some sort of cabbage. I generally only give them half a leaf each depending on size and then top it up with rocket and herbs.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Eek! I didn't know about the celery, will make sure it's all chopped up now. I have to say I do get confused about what cabbage is ok, so I've always just avoided it confused
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Celery leaf can be hard to find - I am lucky as there is a herb nursery down the road from here. Most of the seed companies sell it as either celery leaf, cutting celery or Par-cel. Failing that, if you buy young celery plants and let the buns at them the chances are they will never grow big enough to get strings. The plants will cope with being very eaten and just sprout again from the base.

I would be careful feeding baby spinach gentl as it is very high in calcium which can cause sludgy bladders.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am

oops i never knew this and give mine celery Embarassed

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:43 am

We had fed celery for many years Rob and if you cut it up into small pieces it's ok. Our buns love it and it's good for them.

We have never fed lettuce or tomatoes to our's and we have cut out the apple now and we have had a lot less tummy upset's since we stopped the apple. We also don't feed them those awful hard corn on the cob treats as rabbits have choked and died on the hard kernals Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down