Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets@Home no longer start insurance for rabbits FOUR+ years

+3
marleyNfriends
Rachel&Nibbler
Big Ears
7 posters

Go down

Pets@Home no longer start insurance for rabbits FOUR+ years Empty Pets@Home no longer start insurance for rabbits FOUR+ years

Post by Big Ears Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 am

Just a heads up as I attempted to get a quote for Rudy (just to see what premium would be) and it says they won't insure rabbits over 4. I have in the past run quotes for rabbits over 17 years old and it was quite happy to insure them at basic premium.

So, if you were thinking of getting a rabbit over 5 and insuring be aware that P@H are no longer an option (so far as I know 5 is the cut-off point with some other insurers).

I got Dinky at just the right time as she would be uninsurable now Crying or Very sad .

It's a very sad discovery for me as it was so good to know you could insure older rabbits so maybe it meant more would find good homes.

Looks like the really cheap insurance offered by P@H was just a 'tempt you in' and they are no longer offering all the benefits that were so tempting. Thank god I got my older buns insured with them while it was possible.

I thought it was worth starting a thread to highlight this as it's a given for a lot of us that we can get older rabbits insured with them and it's an important change that I wanted others to know about.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Pets@Home no longer start insurance for rabbits FOUR+ years Empty Re: Pets@Home no longer start insurance for rabbits FOUR+ years

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:06 pm

I agree. I have just had a rant at a young boy (my perception) on their customer service line with regards to the percentage added to my excess. All he could say is 'we didn't know this was happening. We can't change it'.

Back to top Go down

Pets@Home no longer start insurance for rabbits FOUR+ years Empty Re: Pets@Home no longer start insurance for rabbits FOUR+ years

Post by Big Ears Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:12 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote: I agree. I have just had a rant at a young boy (my perception) on their customer service line with regards to the percentage added to my excess. All he could say is 'we didn't know this was happening. We can't change it'.

I got that response too. I said I have insured 5 rabbits with them based on asking if there would be a percentage as well as excess and being told definitely no. Having done my research though, Pet Plan said it would be 20% on top the excess when over 5 years old so even with £75 excess, I'm sticking with P@H. Thing is, with pet insurance you have to make your decision and stick with it yet they can change the terms and conditions as it suits Evil or Very Mad

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:30 pm

I did tell them that the issue for me was that I had expressly changed to PAH due to PP's excess percentage and that because of my rabbits' ages that I now had no choice but to stay with them. I am thinking of contacting watchdog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Whilst I think people on the end of customer service haven't made the rules and they aren't really to blame, you can't just go 'I dunno, we didn't decide it', you're the face of the company so you should give an appropriate response and not that cr** that was given to you.

Insurance really is the biggest twoddle of getting as much money out of someone as possible, when all you want to do is be sensible and prepare for the worst.

I think you should contact Watchdog, it really does seem like a big scam.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:46 pm

I have now filled in the watchdog contact form. I have highlighted not only the changes but also the relatively high costs and excesses for the low levels of cover.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Marley will be 4 towards the end of this year. We have lifetime cover with P@H, it wont affect us, will it?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:10 pm

They will change you to 'premium cover' and also ask the 10% on top of the excess. I notice that they are also refusing to cover Giant rabbits also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Humum has issues with most insurances.

If it was clear exactly what you were getting, you could be sure you were going to get it if you needed it, and there was some transparency as to how the premium was worked out that would be fine. It's the underhandedness which always seems to be associated with insurance which annoys. The impression is that if most insurance companies can get out of paying a claim they will, and the fact that your money is not simply going into a pool which benefits others but going into some fat-cat's pocket to pay for his mansion and yacht Mad

Humum's car insurance has rocketed simply because she lives in a postcode area which includes some of the roughest parts of town, despite the fact that this is one of the best areas in town and the rough parts are the other side of the town centre No

Somebody needs to start an ethical insurance company...

ETA - *don't worry, I have put her back in her box now* Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Actually Big Ears have you checked your policy booket? I can't remeber what size your lot are but my booklets says

'what is not covered - Giant Rabbit breeds including but not limited to : chequered giant, flemish giant (Patagonian), French Lop Giant Chinchilla, British Giant, German lop, English Lop.'

They really have it in for the lops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Good on you Cheryl Thumbs Up

I've not long signed up for pet insurance but I wholeheartedly agree with what is being said about insurance companies!

When we moved last year our car insurance increased, despite us moving to a nicer area (this was on top of their various penalties and admin charges for daring to move mid policy!). I phoned them up and asked what they were playing at and the man informed me that because it was a new housing estate, it hadn't been banded yet. I said to him "so when it has been banded, will you be knocking in my door to give me back the money you've overcharge me?" *silence* "No, I didn't think so!"

I told the man that that was it, they wouldn't get another penny out of me, house insurance, car insurance, nothing.

Then my OH renewed the car insurance policy this year without telling me HBWS Boy was I mad at him that day! Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:44 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Actually Big Ears have you checked your policy booket? I can't remeber what size your lot are but my booklets says

'what is not covered - Giant Rabbit breeds including but not limited to : chequered giant, flemish giant (Patagonian), French Lop Giant Chinchilla, British Giant, German lop, English Lop.'

They really have it in for the lops.

Yes, I noticed that as well, I didn't register that it was new though. All my ten are either dwarf lop, dwarf lop crossed with medium size of no specific breed and 2 of standard upper eared. None are above 3kg, so thankfully we are extremely common here, so they are unlikely to want to exclude any of mine.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Hurrah for commonness!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:05 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Hurrah for commonness!

Laughing

And yes insurance is a load of twaddle. It makes a mockery of it when you don't make a claim for fear of a huge increase in the premium. My sister had a burst radiator last year but ended up not claiming. And as for the ludicrous amounts quoted for my son to drive a car Mad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 pm

try theese they say rabbits up to 5 years old can join the lifetime plan
http://www.helpucover.co.uk/product/pets/page/your-questions/#two

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down