Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any advice for me RE:Hectors neuter

+6
SharminsMagic8
Tuckerbunnies
gentl
Sparky
fiver
Zo
10 posters

Go down

Any advice for me RE:Hectors neuter Empty Any advice for me RE:Hectors neuter

Post by Zo Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:49 pm

It's on Monday!!!! I'm trying my best not to be nervous because I don't want to worry him, fortunately I will be at work tomorrow evening and at uni on Monday, so I'm hoping that will distract me!

I've got a snuggle safe, some critical care sachets (just in case!) tomorrow I'm going to wash all his mats and disinfect the bottom of his crate/run, for when he comes back I'm going to use one of the thick towels we use when we bath the dogs and put his fleece-y blanket over it with the snuggle safe at one end.

We've had a little chat about the fact that he's got to be a good boy and that he's not allowed to leave me because I love him!
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Any advice for me RE:Hectors neuter Empty Re: Any advice for me RE:Hectors neuter

Post by fiver Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:57 pm

firstly stop worrying as i'm sure the gorgeous hector will bounce back from the vets,
try to make sure that there are familliar smells in his crate/run for when he comes home and try to have some of his bestest food or treats and water to encourage him to eat.
deneraly they are groggy the first 24 hours and eating picks up afterwards so if he seemsa little quiet at first it's normal.
sending mega hugs and vibes formonday for both of you. Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Any advice for me RE:Hectors neuter Empty Re: Any advice for me RE:Hectors neuter

Post by Zo Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks Rob!!
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Don't panic. The risks are less for the bucks as they are not under for so long and the surgery is not as invasive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:45 pm

We've had 4 boys neutered and 7 girls spayed - the boys bounce back in no time, so do try not to worry too much.

The only one who didn't come back from the vets quite bright was Smudge - because he was done late in the day he was stoned off his face all evening Laughing He even let Humum touch him Shocked (he usually runs off if he even sees her through the window).

Don't forget to take a packed lunch of Hector's favourite noms for him and Humum makes a point of telling them we use water bowls, not bottles. And I would ask for at least one dose of pain relief for 24 hours after the op, so you can give it to him if you feel he needs it... better to have it and not need it than to have to run back to the vets if he is in discomfort... Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Wishing Hector a speedy healing after the big snip on Monday!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 am

I have lost count how many rabbits we have had spayed or neutered over the many years we have had rabbits and we have never lost one yet.

The operation like Cheryl said is a lot easier and safer for boys, Hector is young and fit as a fiddle and I'm sure he will be ok , I know you will worry about him you
wouldn't be human if you didn't , sending the gorgeous Hector lots and lots of ' quick healing' Vibes for Monday xxxxx

And a big hug for you Hugs

I love that photo of him in his litter tray in your signature he is just so cute! Love Love

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by SharminsMagic8 Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:43 am

We just had our 4 month old Diesel neutered 2 weeks ago and it went SOOO well! No problems during or after and he healed most perfectly. OF course his potty habits have slid backwards a little, but that is another issue. Wink He'll be fine and so will you. HUGS
SharminsMagic8
SharminsMagic8
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:31 am

Daisy bounced back really quickly bless him too, so try not to worry.

Everything Sparky said is top advice!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:32 am

Oh ..... Sending vibes and nose rubs to gorgeous Hector and hugs to you - I know how hard it when your baby is in the vets x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks everyone!

Would it be a good idea to shut off his run area so he's just in his crate for the first day?

He's got a smelly bum again No talk about bad timing, he's on pro c anyway at the moment, so I won't give him any veggies tonight so he eats plenty of hay.
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Oh sweetheart, please try to not worry. Binky Boo had hi neuter last week and was fine as soon as he came home. We are all with you in spirit.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SharminsMagic8 Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Yes, my vet advised us to keep him contained for TWO weeks! Although we only lasted one before we both gave in.
SharminsMagic8
SharminsMagic8
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Try not to worry. As everyone has said the risk is much less for a buck than a doe and Hector is a very healthy little boy. He will be absolutely fine and we will all be here for you if you need to talk whilst anxious about things. It sounds like you are very well prepared Hugs

Sending him tummy vibes too Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Yes, try to stop him from racing about for a day or two. I think our boys were indoors for a couple of nights but back out 48 hours after their ops.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:12 am

how's hector today zo ?

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Aww, I am sure he willbe just fine, my 2 boys were probably more traumatised after a nail clipping than a neuter. Both Vince and Boo werelike nothong had ever happened Thumbs Up
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down