Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is it olbas oil you use to deter you buns from chewing

+7
jolovesbunnies
Dotdot
gentl
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
fiver
Zo
11 posters

Go down

is it olbas oil you use to deter you buns from chewing Empty is it olbas oil you use to deter you buns from chewing

Post by Zo Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Hector has decided that chewing the bars of his crate sounds like a good time No
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

is it olbas oil you use to deter you buns from chewing Empty Re: is it olbas oil you use to deter you buns from chewing

Post by fiver Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:20 pm

not sure but i use chew stop from pet store if that helps zo

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

is it olbas oil you use to deter you buns from chewing Empty Re: is it olbas oil you use to deter you buns from chewing

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm not sure olbas oil would deter him tbh. People use it when buns have respiratory problems and I don't think they would do that if buns really didn't like it.

Bitter apple spray is supposed to work. I have some but haven't got round to doing the patch test yet Embarassed

Why is he chewing the bars?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:38 pm

No don't use Olbas oil as we use a tiny drop of that for rabbit's with serious respiratory problems on a rag attached to the roof of their indoor cage to help them breathe. I don't think I would be putting it on the bars.

Is he getting enough play time as it's usually a sign of I want to come out.

If you get some bitter apple spray just spray a little bit on to a soft clean cloth and just sort of dust down the bars with the cloth. Not to much Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Well he had the normal amount last night, but I was away on friday night and mum only let him out for an hour, so I don't know if it's that or if its because I was away overnight for the first time
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 pm

silly question but would a dab of fresh lemon juice work maysie

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Any change in their routine can cause behavior such as this. most buns thrive on schedules.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:53 pm

fiver wrote:silly question but would a dab of fresh lemon juice work maysie

No I wouldn't use fresh lemon, there is not a lot you can use to be honest Rob that stop's them, our Jamie does it when she want's letting out and we have tried a few things without any joy, we usually say 'Jamie no', and Jamie is out in her play pen all day but she will do it in a morning while you are letting the others out she just won't wait Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Zo wrote:Well he had the normal amount last night, but I was away on friday night and mum only let him out for an hour, so I don't know if it's that or if its because I was away overnight for the first time

That could very well be why Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:04 pm

buns only do what they think you want Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 pm

When Tigger was about 5/6 months old before we bonded her with Jeeves and before she was in her lovely big shed, she used to live in her hutch in a smaller shed. The floor became unstable so when we weren't supervising we had to leave her in her double tier hutch overnight. In the morning she would rattle the bars like mad to get out. I'd say it's very similar!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Binky Boo is completely free-range but if I go out at any time, when I return he sits with his face to the wall - little ****** LOL!!

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:Binky Boo is completely free-range but if I go out at any time, when I return he sits with his face to the wall - little ****** LOL!!

Hugs

JO xx

Laughing Laughing obviously you have displeased him by leaving!
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by racht88 Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi,

Advise on the same topic needed!! My buns have free roam of the garage with a whole range of toys but one of the girls insists of chewing the hutch and she has made such a mess and gnawed totally through the wood on the top. I have tried the deterrant spray from P@H and it doesnt work. Please help!!!
racht88
racht88
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Racht88

I wouldnt recommend putting olbas oil on anything that is enclosed like a hutch as it can really be strong.

Is there something you could cover the spot that they like up with at all?

We ended up putting stainless steel corners on our sofa!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 pm

My Willow used to do this ALL NIGHT LONG Shocked

I am so glad she is now living free range next door with her buddy. I've never slept so well in all my life Laughing

In Willow's case it was the bunny form of a strop because she wanted out of her pen. She lived free range in my room for nearly a year and I'm sure this made the experience of being shut in overnight worse for her. It was probably because he only got the hour's free range and he wasn't too happy about it. The change to his routine might have disturbed him a bit.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down