Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding other owners bunnies

3 posters

Go down

Bonding other owners bunnies Empty Bonding other owners bunnies

Post by Poppy Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi

I wanted to ask a question about when Rescues or other people bond other peoples bunnies just wondered how much time they spend watching the bunnies throughout the bonding period?
What do you do overnight?
How long would you expect to be keeping an eye on them for?

I'm probably not making sense am I Embarassed
It's just I was trying to bond my 2 but they can spend 3 hours together grooming each other then suddenly things kick off - boxing, rolling over trying to nip each others bits etc... I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been there, I'm to scared to nip the loo or go and make a drink Sad
After the fight they go back to grooming so it' s a bit unpredictable, I have read in other posts that once the grooming starts people leave them be do you still stay in the vicinity?
Does all that make sense? Embarassed

Poppy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Bonding other owners bunnies Empty Re: Bonding other owners bunnies

Post by bunnymum Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:32 pm

I'm a first time bonder, it's quite hard to know what's right or wrong! I'm planning a mega-bond session over the weekend, hopefully all will be good by the end of monday, is one of your rabbits more dominant? my doe is a bit dominant and my male is quite chilled, so I don't think the pecking order will be a problem - but you never know do you? confused
bunnymum
bunnymum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi

It's a re-bond and the female was boss before even though she grooms loads but the male constantly pushes his head at her for grooming so I think he's dominant too Crying or Very sad I've actually put the bonding on hold for the moment until the Summer is over as I was told hormones could be an issue so just gathering info.

How you planning your session then are you planning to stay in the same room as them all weekend, what will you do overnight?
It's the mounting you need to watch out for if the female is dominant, my female nipped the males "thing" it all happened so quickly, luckily he was fine and doesn't mount her anymore.

Good luck hope it all goes well.
Poppy

Poppy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:21 pm

I normally spend 3 to 7 days bonding but it totally depends on the individual rabbits and how fast they progress through the bonding process. At night they come to the bedroom with me and I have an indoor cage set up right next to the bed with a water spray, carrier and some gloves just incase.

What do you do when a fight kicks off?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:18 pm

Sooz wrote:I normally spend 3 to 7 days bonding but it totally depends on the individual rabbits and how fast they progress through the bonding process. At night they come to the bedroom with me and I have an indoor cage set up right next to the bed with a water spray, carrier and some gloves just incase.

What do you do when a fight kicks off?

Hi, sorry my replys a bit late.
Originally I used a spray bottle, turned the hoover on or banged pan lids but when they are kind of lying rolling on the floor I pull them apart and have my (gloved) hand on each until they calm down.
As soon as I pull them apart I can feel them wanting to still lunge at each other but when they've calmed down one of them will groom the other.
The one thing I have noticed is that they never lie side by side it's always head on.
The female will give signs to the male when she'd sick og grooming him or wants him to move like shaking her head at him but he is a bit dim and just carries on asking for grooming.

Poppy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down