Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The reason they have me at the end of my tether

+6
KatieB
fiver
Sparky
JoeyBunsMum
Tuckerbunnies
Sue_pawz
10 posters

Go down

The reason they have me at the end of my tether Empty The reason they have me at the end of my tether

Post by Sue_pawz Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:09 pm

This happened within 24 hours of cleaning.

The reason they have me at the end of my tether IMAG0280

They are currently confined to quarters and firmly in my bad books.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

The reason they have me at the end of my tether Empty Re: The reason they have me at the end of my tether

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:10 pm

We get this all the time as well but sadly that's what some bunnies are like , at least you can brush it up off laminate floors we have carpet and it's a hoover job.

I think confining them to quarters will only make them worse I find if you let them have a bit of space to run round or as we call it a 'blow out' they soon get tired and sleep.

Have they still got their box as they tired themselves out running in and out of that.

I wish we had laminate floors it would make our lives so much easier.

They are really only doing what bunnies do.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

The reason they have me at the end of my tether Empty Re: The reason they have me at the end of my tether

Post by JoeyBunsMum Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Wow, that is impressive Shocked And I thought Joey was bad!

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:21 pm

It's just that they've not been like this before. They've always been so good! They're not shut in for good, just give me a little break from the constant cleaning.

Just a little break.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:45 pm

If I showed you Roly's pen you would be shocked, he has behavioural problems and constantly is scratting in his litter box and in his indoor cage. His pen is an absolute mess every day, with hay everywhere and megazorb and pee all over the floor. If you brush up and put it back he goes mad.

I can honestly say Ted and Toffee kept their pen lovely and clean when here although they did trash their litter tray in the indoor cage most days which we are use to with most buns. I really think Sue it's the constant changing weather that is having an effect on rabbits behaviour at the moment.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I notice that their litter tray has high sides but a low lip at the front. Try them with a box which has high sides all round. Layla digs out the contents of dog beds so she is not allowed them any more but an underbed storage box with sides about 6 inches high has stopped her almost completely, and when she does have a little dig it is contained in the box. We buy the boxes from Poundstretcher for £3.99 each or 3 for £10 and they are very sturdy for the price.

I'd also consider rearranging the pen so the door was on the corner. Then the litter tray can be right inside the pen and if you need to you can put solid sides around the pen so if they do still dig it would be confined within their pen and not all over the rest of the room. The way it is at the moment, as soon as they dig it comes flying out of the door of their pen.

Have you tried them with a biggish cardboard box filled with crumpled up newspaper which they are *allowed* to dig in? Although they might also tend to toilet in there a bit too, it might well end up less messy than hay and bedding everywhere.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:17 pm

oh dear little sausies No No
maybe they are doing it in a loving way just trying to keep you occupied Laughing Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Oh My!!!! That is quite an effort!

I agree with sparky - a higher sided litter tray (daisy has one like a closed in cat one that I just took the door off), and something closed in they can dig in.

Good luck!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:47 pm

wow!what a mess! Sometimes in photos I wonder how people keep their houses so clean with buns around...this scene is much more familiar! Smile
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:13 am

Oh my Shocked

I see you've got the C&C grids there. I wonder if you could make the pen more "square" and then possibly invest in some coroplast (like they do in the guinea pig C&C cages). You could then make the sides quite high and hopefully any norty things they do would stay a bit more "contained" for you!

Also agree with Sparky's suggestion of higher sides on the litter tray and maybe a cardboard dig box. Little monkeys!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Oh dear No and I bet that happened in a blink of an eye too.

The only saving grace is that it is fairly easy to tidy up given the floor can be swept and doesn't need to be hoovered. I do believe though that it is impossible to be houseproud when living with indoor bunnies. Even with six outdoor buns I find hay - and rabbit poops - gets everywhere.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:00 am

Well...at least they excel at something other than incredible cuteness!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down