Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The bitter apple spray doesn't work

+7
Tuckerbunnies
gentl
marleyNfriends
KatieB
Thumper2001
Amelia66
Zo
11 posters

Go down

The bitter apple spray doesn't work Empty The bitter apple spray doesn't work

Post by Zo Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 am

I'm at a loss now, he's not at all bothered by the taste, what else can I try to stop him chewing the bars?
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

The bitter apple spray doesn't work Empty Re: The bitter apple spray doesn't work

Post by Amelia66 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

There isnt much you can do, its a sign he is bored. how much free range time does he get? You can try wedging cardboard through the bars so he chews that instead
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

The bitter apple spray doesn't work Empty Re: The bitter apple spray doesn't work

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:59 pm

I agree, he sounds bored/frustrated. Have you ever given him chill n chew mats Zo?

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/chill-n-snooze-mat.html

Molly and Junior have them tie wrapped to their cage (not the pen as Molly used to use them as a ladder and jump out Laughing). They take a regular beating and I even hear them having a go in the dead of the night Laughing We were without them for a few weeks before Xmas and they turned into horrors!! They chewed holes in their blankets and everything Shocked

They also love to chew these, we've gone through loads.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/chew-tube-large-by-boredom-breaker-85655

I'm not for a minute suggesting that Hector doesn't have good toys already, but sometimes you just have to try loads of different things before you find the right ones for your bun Smile

Eta, I would ALWAYS tie wrap the chill and chew mats to the side of something because buns tend to pee on them otherwise No
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:18 pm

We found it didn't work either Hun. Someone suggested putting cardboard around the pen in another similar post I saw.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:03 pm

That was probably me - cardboard stuffed bars have been a hit in my house, also I have attached cardboard flat to the outside of my cage to stop the hay falling out but you could just as easily fix it to the inside to reduce chewing.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Oh dear. I don't miss having bunnies bar chewing in the middle of the night! If the the toys foot work, you could use some perspex, but that will only stop the symptom and not the cause. The only thing that stopped a foster bunny from chewing was another rabbit for company. Dolly was a sod at times too but since letting them out all night, it hasn't been an issue.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:17 pm

We use cardboard. Rory managed to chew through the baby gate. The baby gate was the veteran barrier for 2 rabbits and a toddler boy who would use anything he could to disassemble or saw through it. It took Rory less than a week to breech it in several areas. Sharp teeth...hard rigid plastic! Now that we put up the cardboard he figured out how to go over it by shoving things over that made him taller. So we made the cardboard taller. He's working on stacking things to get over it!!! If he had aposable thumbs he'd breech anything.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 pm

There's not a lot you can do that will stop them but he may grow out of it which some do. If we have one that does that we usually hang one of those long daisy chain wooden toys from Pets@Home where they bite the bars.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-animal-daisy-chain-wooden-chew-by-pets-at-home-31820?freeText=daisy+chain&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:29 pm

gentl wrote:We use cardboard. Rory managed to chew through the baby gate. The baby gate was the veteran barrier for 2 rabbits and a toddler boy who would use anything he could to disassemble or saw through it. It took Rory less than a week to breech it in several areas. Sharp teeth...hard rigid plastic! Now that we put up the cardboard he figured out how to go over it by shoving things over that made him taller. So we made the cardboard taller. He's working on stacking things to get over it!!! If he had aposable thumbs he'd breech anything.

I have one of those sorts of bun Holly. You would never believe that rabbits knew about physics until you have seen Flo in action. She has used the bolt on the old hutch, the movement of a litter tray sliding away from her and has worked out a number of steps to get into and out of places.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 pm

He's definitely not bored, he has all different types of toys that he ignores but he loves willow toys so I always make sure he has one to chew. Plus I do stuff like put herbs, hay, and some treats in a paper bag for him to get out, and I stuff toilet rolls and other bits. He is out for 2-3 hours in the afternoon, and 5-7 hours in the evening, and he chews at the bars even when all the doors are open.

I think he is doing it because he wants to get behind here:
The bitter apple spray doesn't work 60613624-1F22-46E2-BA5C-D79BF1374938-376-0000001CF5076DAF-1_zps9e8fe8ab
(excuse the hay mess, hector had a herb & hay stuffed cardboard log)

aka the one area in my entire room he isn't allowed No I don't let him down there because there's too many wires that I can't cover, he is chewing here:
The bitter apple spray doesn't work 60613624-1F22-46E2-BA5C-D79BF1374938-376-0000001CF5076DAF-1_zps9e8fe8ab-1_zpsb0a69f4b

The red arrow is the grids that stop him getting down the side, the second place he chews (yellow arrow) is the corner of his cage which is alongside the bit he's not allowed in. I think the cardboard would work on the grids that block it off, but I don't really want to block up the corner since that's where he sleeps and I like being able to check on him.

I might try that daisy wooden toy in that corner Maysie, thank you.
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Paris used to chew her bars and she had her cage door permanently open she got it off the hamsters lol, she saw the hamsters doing it and started doing it herself Laughing
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Zo wrote:aka the one area in my entire room he isn't allowed No I don't let him down there because there's too many wires that I can't cover
Would it be possible to pull the chest of drawers out and put the CC grids right up against the wall, with the wires behind? That's what we have done behind our dining table...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jag Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:23 pm

hi

i hung those wooden daisy's from pets at home

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-animal-daisy-chain-wooden-chew-by-pets-at-home-31820?freeText=wooden+daisys&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCTo

it worked they also come in footballs instead of daisys if hector would prefer Laughing

jag
Banned

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:32 pm

jag wrote:hi

i hung those wooden daisy's from pets at home

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-animal-daisy-chain-wooden-chew-by-pets-at-home-31820?freeText=wooden+daisys&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCTo

it worked they also come in footballs instead of daisys if hector would prefer Laughing

Ooo I'm going to order some of those for my little monkeys!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jag Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:36 pm

yes they are good you can hang them how you want in a line or in a loop etc mine love them they pull them chew them probaly just trying to get them off the wire even so it works ; )

regards

jag
Banned

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Zo, I wonder if you could get some wire covers so that he could have that area too?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:53 pm

I have some but the problem is the wire for the lights I have around my bed frame- it wraps around the leg so I can't cover it.

I will try that idea Sparky, but I think the radiator might get in the way
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down