Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can we have some of that HH magic please??

+11
Sparky
jolovesbunnies
icedancer
JoeyBunsMum
Rachel&Nibbler
NickieM
FluffSlave
Tuckerbunnies
thezookeeper
fiver
Thumper2001
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can we have some of that HH magic please?? Empty Can we have some of that HH magic please??

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Some of you may think this is ridiculous, and that he's only a fish, but we have a very sick plec Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

We think he has swim bladder as he can't seem to flatten himself out. He's sitting at a 45° angle at the bottom of the tank. We've had this fish a long time, and he's a big beast! OH thinks he's had him for about 10 years.

He is away to asda to buy some frozen peas for him in the hope that it's "just" an intestinal blockage and the peas will shift it. Last ditch effort and all that Sad

Here he is. I know he's not particularly pretty, but we love him nonetheless Sad
Can we have some of that HH magic please?? 486D02A5-A7CA-4C50-92A1-F39B8B153DE0-853-000000E97A29D377

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Can we have some of that HH magic please?? Empty Re: Can we have some of that HH magic please??

Post by fiver Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 pm

mega vibes on the way Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
he is lovely Love Love
i'm not convinced it's swim bladder I wonder if putting some vitamin drops or something in the water would help,

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Can we have some of that HH magic please?? Empty Re: Can we have some of that HH magic please??

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Lots of vibes (and I am very intrigued about the peas).

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm

fiver wrote:mega vibes on the way Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
he is lovely Love Love
i'm not convinced it's swim bladderI wonder if putting some vitamin drops or something in the water would help,

Thank you!

Really? I'm glad you think that Rob! Can I ask why you think that? I'm no fish expert Embarassed

OH has tested the water and there is nothing untoward coming up.

The good news is that he is eating his first pea Happy Dance (The fish, not the OH Laughing)

Molly and Junior are intrigued as to what is going on Laughing I have to keep chasing them away Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Lots of vibes (and I am very intrigued about the peas).
Thanks Cheryl. Apparently they quite often behave like this when they have a blockage and the frozen peas are a good laxative.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Per my friend google anyway!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

swim bladder normally shows by them swimming o their side and I don't think the plec would be able to hold itself as yours is on the glass,
if he is ten years old he's quite mature and like us humans may not be getting enough from what he is eating, I would go to an aquatics store and chat to someone there they are generally knowledgeable and may be able to give you an addative for him Smile
I also notice it looks almost clinically clean in there is he getting enough algie

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Peas are not necessarily the best way to go. The logic behind feeding a fish peas is the fiber pushes out the blockage. This is especially effective in carnivorous and omnivorous fish that would not be able to process vegetation all that well. It becomes tricky in fish designed to live off plant life, like many plecos. Constipation in herbivorous fish is usually caused by poor diet or little variance in diet.
try some blanched cucumber this would have a similar affect hun

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

fiver wrote:swim bladder normally shows by them swimming o their side and I don't think the plec would be able to hold itself as yours is on the glass,
if he is ten years old he's quite mature and like us humans may not be getting enough from what he is eating, I would go to an aquatics store and chat to someone there they are generally knowledgeable and may be able to give you an addative for him Smile
I also notice it looks almost clinically clean in there is he getting enough algie
Ok, I see what you mean and right enough he's not proper upside down but the photo is a bit of an illusion I'm afraid, he's not actually on the glass he's lying on the sand about 6-7 inches away from the glass. OH is planning on phoning his fish contact tomorrow Thumbs Up

The tank is pretty clean, but it always has been. But like you say, maybe his needs are changing because he's getting old!

fiver wrote:Peas are not necessarily the best way to go. The logic behind feeding a fish peas is the fiber pushes out the blockage. This is especially effective in carnivorous and omnivorous fish that would not be able to process vegetation all that well. It becomes tricky in fish designed to live off plant life, like many plecos. Constipation in herbivorous fish is usually caused by poor diet or little variance in diet.
Tbh the peas are a bit of a long shot but there's nothing else we can do at the moment so it was do this or do nothing Sad

It would be strange if it was a poor diet as OH hasn't changed anything and the others are thriving Sad

I appreciate the advice Thumbs Up

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thezookeeper Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Ahhh what a gorgeous fella Love
He's gorgeous and I hope he makes a speedy recovery Thumbs Up .
Unfortunately I have never had fish so I can't give you any advice.
But I wish you and your little fella all the best Smile
Mega vibes coming your way.. Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
By the way has he got a name?
thezookeeper
thezookeeper
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1071
Location : In my rabbit hole reading with Jenna bun in Kent - England.
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 pm

your NOT supposed to give them frozen you must blanch them then squeeze the pulp out when they are cold into the water and it sinks to the bottom the plec should eat it from there

Last edited by fiver on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 pm

thezookeeper wrote:Ahhh what a gorgeous fella Love
He's gorgeous and I hope he makes a speedy recovery Thumbs Up .
Unfortunately I have never had fish so I can't give you any advice.
But I wish you and your little fella all the best Smile
Mega vibes coming your way.. Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
By the way has he got a name?
Thank you. He doesn't strictly have a name but I've always called him Robot because I've always thought he looks like one... Mechanical looking if you know what I mean Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

fiver wrote:your NOT supposed to give them frozen you must blanch them then squeeze the pupl out when they are cold into the water and it sinks to the bottom the plec should eat it from there
Blimmin google!! Internet said frozen Mad I don't know what blanch means Embarassed But it turns out they're lying on the bottom of the tank anyway Hmmm

He hasn't ate any of them Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

ROFL ROFL he wont a plec would probably have trouble eating that blanch means to put in hot water for a few mins not long enough to cook just to take the outer shell off and soften the inside so you can squeeze the pulp out Wink

Last edited by fiver on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

He's gorgeous do they keep the tank's clean and tidy as I'm sure my Nephew had one of those years ago and it use to go around cleaning the glass bit by bit , I use to sit and watch it for ages as I was amazed by it. They are so graceful to watch as well.

Aww hope he will be ok Thumper Hugs

Sending him mega 'get well' Vibes xxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Sending 'get well' vibes to your fishie! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 pm

fiver wrote: ROFL ROFL he wont a plec would probably have trouble eating that blanch means to put in hot water for a few mins not long enough to cook just to take the outer shell off and soften the inside so you can squeeze the pulp out Wink
Laughing Blame the phone Rob, blame the phone!!

I checked it out after you posted and it will be fine because its warm water they will have thawed out quickly Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies wrote:He's gorgeous do they keep the tank's clean and tidy as I'm sure my Nephew had one of those years ago and it use to go around cleaning the glass bit by bit , I use to sit and watch it for ages as I was amazed by it. They are so graceful to watch as well.

Aww hope he will be ok Thumper Hugs

Sending him mega 'get well' Vibes xxxxx
Thank you Maysie. Yes, he's usually a very busy boy but not today Crying or Very sad

FluffSlave wrote:Sending 'get well' vibes to your fishie! Hugs
Thank you Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Poor robot. Hope he' s feeling better soon.

sending fishy vibes. x x
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks, Nickie.

It sounds like such a random name when someone else "says" it Embarassed Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm

it's not random I knew his uncle robocod Laughing Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Sending lots of vibes your way, hope he's ok
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:
fiver wrote:your NOT supposed to give them frozen you must blanch them then squeeze the pupl out when they are cold into the water and it sinks to the bottom the plec should eat it from there
Blimmin google!! Internet said frozen Mad I don't know what blanch means Embarassed But it turns out they're lying on the bottom of the tank anyway Hmmm

He hasn't ate any of them Sad

Sending lots of vibes for the Robot-ster. Hope he will be ok.

BLanch means to boil veg for a couple of minutes to soften them but not cook through fully.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:14 pm

More vibes for Robot.

My plec, known as Dixie, loves algae wafers when there's no proper algae so they might be worth a shot if you've got some.

Otherwise vets are quite good with larger fish like plecs, goldies etc. I've never personally taken one but I know people who have
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Of course it isn't silly loving a fish hun, when I had them they were as much of a pet as anyone else who lived with us. It is a pity there aren;t more people like us.

Lots of vibes for the little chum and I hope he is OK.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:21 pm

What a stunning Plec Love

I hope he is better today. Have you ever given him cucumber? Cut a bit off about an inch long, leave the skin on, stick a tea-spoon handle through it (not one of your best ones) so it sinks and pop it in the tank. He'll love it, and if it's fibre he needs, that should help.

What do you usually feed him on?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next