Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hormones

+5
Sixer
fiver
Amelia66
Dotdot
xfallenxskyx
9 posters

Go down

Hormones Empty Hormones

Post by xfallenxskyx Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:37 pm

My nethie is still being extremely vicious and it is really stressing him out. A friend had the same problem with her nethie (single neutered house-bun) and her vet gave him a hormone injection and she said it worked perfectly. Mine was neutered 3 years ago but has gotten vicious over the last 2 months or so.
He also has sneezing fits after he attacks, so I think the stress is really getting to him. I was going to take him to the vets about the sneezing but his nose is fine, he only starts sneezing when he gets all worked up about territory.

Has anyone on here had any experience with buns having hormone injections? I only heard of the idea yesterday and can't find much about it on the internet.

Thanks Smile
xfallenxskyx
xfallenxskyx
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Hormones Empty Re: Hormones

Post by Dotdot Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 pm

I had no idea hormone injections were available for this purpose. Hopefully someone will come along who knows.

Does he live alone? Do you think he may benefit from a very calm ladybun?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by xfallenxskyx Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 pm

He has a very very calm ladybun. I'm feeling really sorry for her at the minute because he keeps chasing and humping her. She was spayed years ago. They've been together happily for around 3 years Sad
xfallenxskyx
xfallenxskyx
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Oh! Sorry I didn't realise Smile

I wonder if there's any cause for this aggression appearing over the last two months scratch
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 pm

If its recent aggression i would be looking at what has changed that would make him behave aggressively. Is it just towards you/when you are around or is it in general? has he been fully checked over by a vet? could be hes feeling poorly and taking it out on everyone else [typical man]

I had no idea rabbits could have hormone injections, but i would rather settle the issue/ whatever is bothering him instead. Plus im not sure people could fully know the implications of extra hormones in buns, i mean it causes enough problems in people.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 pm

I've no advice but hope you get it all sorted out it must be very frustrating

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by xfallenxskyx Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Dotdot wrote:Oh! Sorry I didn't realise Smile

I wonder if there's any cause for this aggression appearing over the last two months scratch

I'm pretty sure it's cos there are 3 more bunnies in the shed. He can't get to them though because they're in a different hutch, but he's behaving like he's un-neutered again. I can't keep him anywhere else. The other neutered boy couldn't care less about him and he's still super friendly with me. This hormone thing sounds like a good idea, I think I might book him in at the vets and see what they say. He bit onto my mum's foot 2 days ago and wouldn't let go, even when she tried to shake him off Sad
xfallenxskyx
xfallenxskyx
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by xfallenxskyx Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Amelia66 wrote:If its recent aggression i would be looking at what has changed that would make him behave aggressively. Is it just towards you/when you are around or is it in general? has he been fully checked over by a vet? could be hes feeling poorly and taking it out on everyone else [typical man]

I had no idea rabbits could have hormone injections, but i would rather settle the issue/ whatever is bothering him instead. Plus im not sure people could fully know the implications of extra hormones in buns, i mean it causes enough problems in people.

Yes i'm worried incase the hormone injection could be harmful. He doesn't seem poorly, he moves around fine and has a really good appetite. I'll take him to the vets and see what they say. I'd rather get it sorted without hormones but I can't move him out of the shed so he's going to be in sniffing distance of the other bunnies even though he's not right next to them
xfallenxskyx
xfallenxskyx
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 pm

The first thing I think to do is to get your vet to check there is nothing physically wrong with him. It does sound as though he may be suffering from referred agression, my Herbie reacts in the same way once he is close to the other bunnies. Touchwood, he is not as bad as he used to be.

Your vet could possibly supply you with Xylkene which is supposed to have a calming effect on rabbits.

If referred aggression is the cause then the only option if you unable to move him out the shed is to somehow shield him and his partner from the other rabbits if this is at all possible.

Good luck.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by xfallenxskyx Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Hormones 2gvko7m
This is the shed at the minute, the rabbit on the left is moving out into her own shed soon and then i'll have the two pairs next to each other. It should be very easy to put a barrier between them, hopefully that'll help
xfallenxskyx
xfallenxskyx
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 am

Could you not move your nethie couple to the new shed instead?
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:28 am

I agree with sizer, it may be that he is in pain and its making him grumpy especially if this I'd a new thing.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by xfallenxskyx Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 am

Sue_pawz wrote:Could you not move your nethie couple to the new shed instead?

I did think about it but the main reason I needed the extra shed is because the French Lop is way too big for the space she has at the minute and i'm also hoping to get her bonded to another big rabbit when she has more room. If the barrier thing doesn't work then I might have to Hmmm
xfallenxskyx
xfallenxskyx
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I hadn't heard of hormone injections until Willow's unsuccessful spay. The vet mentioned to me then that if she had too much aggressive, hormonal behaviour it could be treated by hormone injections, but as it happens she didn't need it.

I hope the barrier does the job Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I'd definitely address the cause rather than treating the symptoms. If he is constantly stressed, his immune system will dip and that could allow him to become poorly. We have buns who have underlying health problems which flare up when they are stressed. We're pretty sure most of the other buns carry the same illness but do not suffer from it because they deal with stress better.

We have found that our buns with referred aggression aren't particularly bothered by the smell of other buns, but the sight of them. Even then if they cannot get closer than a foot or so, there is no problem. It can be the difference between the runs being right up against each other or a foot apart - that no-mans-land in the middle seems to be accepted as neutral territory.

Can you photograph or describe the inside of the shed? How does he react when he is in the run and there are buns in the run next door?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by xfallenxskyx Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Sparky wrote:I'd definitely address the cause rather than treating the symptoms. If he is constantly stressed, his immune system will dip and that could allow him to become poorly. We have buns who have underlying health problems which flare up when they are stressed. We're pretty sure most of the other buns carry the same illness but do not suffer from it because they deal with stress better.

We have found that our buns with referred aggression aren't particularly bothered by the smell of other buns, but the sight of them. Even then if they cannot get closer than a foot or so, there is no problem. It can be the difference between the runs being right up against each other or a foot apart - that no-mans-land in the middle seems to be accepted as neutral territory.

Can you photograph or describe the inside of the shed? How does he react when he is in the run and there are buns in the run next door?

Yes I think that is why he keeps sneezing, it definitely seems stress related.

When he is next to the other buns he acts normal, he will quite happily lie down and relax next to them with just mesh between them. He eats right next to them too and isn't bothered. He just gets aggressive when me or my mum go in the shed.

I will photograph the inside of the shed when its light tomorrow.
There is a double hutch along the back wall of the shed with a cat flap leading out into the run on the right. There's a single hutch along the right wall of the shed with a dog flap leading into the run on the left. There's also a double hutch along the left side of the shed which is left open for that pair to run around on the shed floor 24/7 without an outdoor run. I hope that makes some sort of sense! Laughing
xfallenxskyx
xfallenxskyx
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down