Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sorry tale. Have tried to help.

+3
Sparky
KatieB
Sixer
7 posters

Go down

A sorry tale. Have tried to help. Empty A sorry tale. Have tried to help.

Post by Sixer Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:52 pm

On Monday at work in the shop it was extremely busy and one of the customers mentioned to me that her rabbit had had babies, knowing that I have buns, after she had bought what she was told were two female rabbits. It wasn't possible to talk to her there and then so before I went home I lifted her phone number of her account and called her from home. I was worried that Mum and Dad had been left together and that she was now pregnant again.

It turns out that Mum and Dad were born in July last year and bought from a garden centre. They lived in a hutch in a shed and Mum gave birth in January but the babies weren't noticed for 2-3 weeks No Mum has since died, was found with a load of fur pulled out. It was assumed she had died because of a fur ball Shocked Sad Sad Poor thing was obviously pregnant again Sad

Thankfully, the Dad was neutered about 10 days ago, is currently separated from the babies but the customer was ready to plonk Dad back in with the babies after a week. The babies have been sexed as 4 girls and a boy - one had previously died. Given the babies must be at least 11 weeks old I have said that it is imperative that boy baby is split up from the girls and Dad mustn't go back with the girls for at least another 4 weeks not withstanding bonding issues. I don't know when Dad was split up from the babes.

I have printed off a load of info about bonding/spaying and dissuaded the person from putting Dad with baby boy. The person seems oblivious to how much more of a mess things will become if any of the babies are pregnant and whilst having picked up on some information is no where near clued up. The accommodation sounds inadequate too.

I have given her my number if she needs any more advice and suggested she is welcome to call and have a look at my set ups.

Coincidentally I had another customer in on Saturday morning who let slip she and her daughter were off to look at rabbits to buy. As it was quiet in the shop I launched into my spiel about rabbits as pets and gave her the details of a Bunnyhops and the SAA rescues. As it was she was fairly clued up - hubby was building a 6ft hutch and she did say that she would prefer rescue rabbits but had not looked into it seriously.

Once I learned of the baby rabbit problem though with the other customer I contacted this lady to let her know if she was still interested in rabbits that she may be able to help the baby rabbit lady out. Her and her family are still discussing the rabbits v guinea pigs as pets though.

I really hope that the baby rabbit lady has taken on board the info given - I am worried about these buns, and just pray that no more are pregnant Sad The lady just doesn't seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation and doesn't strike me as the type to give these buns what they need.

Last edited by Sixer on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

A sorry tale. Have tried to help. Empty Re: A sorry tale. Have tried to help.

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 pm

I think you have done what you can hunni - just hope this lady comes back for more advice x.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 pm

I agree - there's not a lot more you can do except perhaps follow up with a call in a couple of weeks to see how she is getting on Thumbs Up

ETA - It would be lovely if you could persuade her to visit you and see how much more there is to buns than being in a hutch at the bottom of the garden...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:43 pm

I agree you did all you can hun x

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 pm

You did your best Thumbs Up and that is all you can do. Very Happy
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Oh sweetheart what a horrid worry for you and for all of us. You did the very best you could though and hopefully the stupid woman will come to her senses (sorry, this kind of ignorance really annoys me).

Hugs

JOxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Oh, how sad Sad

I really hope this woman comes to her senses and listens to your advice.

I agree with everyone else. You've done all you can Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down